Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OTC friendly routes to epoxy
Bason
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 17:10
OTC friendly routes to epoxy

Hello,

I am highly interested in learning if there are any viable OTC routes to synthesizing rudimentary epoxy resins. I work making epoxy precast parts and have unlimited access to various types of epoxy resins, but have been unable to understand its manufacture process at a small, non-industrial scale. Does anyone have experience synthesizing epoxy and its hardeners? I am somewhat familiar with the epichlorohydrin and bisphenol-A precursors needed to make it. Any other easy-to-synthesize simple resins or plastics you would reccomend? I've experimented with sebacoyl chloride to make nylon 6,10 as well as the production of bakelite from phenol. Any other polymers which are accessible to make at the home lab?

Thanks!
CaptainMolo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 19:56

I'm currently looking into this quite a bit for a series I'm going to start on the subject. I've heard that urea formaldehyde resins are relatively straightforward. You should be able to pick both of these precursors up at the local hardware store and pharmacy. Paraformaldehyde is used in RV camper toilet treatments, and urea is in some formulations of instant cold packs, but it's cheaper to buy it online from fabric dye supply companies. I am unsure of the details, but here's the wiki page, with some googling I'm sure you can find a full synthesis out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea-formaldehyde

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Find me on BitChute, YouTube and MINDS as "Full Modern Alchemist"

Go To Top