Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Looming DCM Ban (US)
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 16-5-2018 at 12:07

Suggested brands?

I was wondering if anyone in the US, west coast Ca if it matters, has a favorite stripper (lol) for distilling. I know I could pour over a bunch of MSDS sheets and do the work my self looking for higher DMC content. that alone won't help me weed out those that are problematic for other reasons like foaming up, unreasonable tar, hard to separate co-solvents.

If it's too much like spoon feeding, I get it. Just trying to avoid the hassle of buying the wrong ones. Don't need much, don't have a specific use either, so it's not a pressing mater at all. But I could always buy a can from time to time n just leaving it on the shelf till one day when necessity calls and time is free.. distillation will happen.

So if you have a favorite and don't mind sharing, then cool beans, I'm all ears. Likewise if your afraid of sharing your source for fear it will be yanked, I get it. Thanks

UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-5-2018 at 14:27

I'm not sure how it stands up to other brands, but I've always used Kleanstrip Premium. It's like $20-$25/gallon and I usually recover about 1.6L of DCM. It's been a while, so that yield might be off. I originally thought the sprayable version had less DCM, but the SDS doesn't show that currently.

As for dealing with the glop in the stuff, I soldered a piece of copper pipe into a cap for one of their cans and just distill directly out of the gallon using a hot water bath and a Friedrich condenser. I might have poured some out at the start to give the can headspace and then added it back in later.

[Edited on 16-5-2018 by UC235]
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2018 at 19:05

I simply cannot understand why anyone would go to the trouble of distilling paint remover to get methylene chloride. It really seems like non-cost and non-time effective self flaggelation. Perhaps there is some deep need to beat the system.

For $70 you can get a gallon of the stuff delivered to your door. The quality of this material is excellent. And it looks like it is very cost competitive with paint stripper material.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dichloromethane-1-Gallon-Methylene-...

AvB
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2018 at 19:13

I never had a problem with the thixotrope ("glop"). It seems to sinter together in a kind of pancake at distillation temp, and can be pulled out during cleanup with a brush in one big pull. Some residual DCM fumes at the sink, but aside from that, soap and hot water gets the flask clean.

That said, on this news I went and laid in a gallon of sprayable Kleanstrip, to supplement the half gallon or so of semi paste I still have.

Phlogiston manufacturer/supplier.

For all your phlogiston needs.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 16-5-2018 at 20:33

Quote: Originally posted by AvBaeyer  
I simply cannot understand why anyone would go to the trouble of distilling paint remover to get methylene chloride. It really seems like non-cost and non-time effective self flaggelation. Perhaps there is some deep need to beat the system.

For $70 you can get a gallon of the stuff delivered to your door. The quality of this material is excellent. And it looks like it is very cost competitive with paint stripper material.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dichloromethane-1-Gallon-Methylene-...

AvB
The price is certainly not competitive. A gallon of KleanStrip Premium, as mentioned by UC235, is $23 at Home Depot. I can then take that, quickly distill the entire thing very quickly in two batches using my rotovap, wash with water to remove methanol, dry it over CaCl2 and do a final distillation with the rotovap. It sounds like a long process but it's really not much work, and it's something that can be done in the background while I'm working on other things. There's no "deep need to beat the system," at least not for me.

Edit: and actually, I use the sprayable stuff: it has less glop but not any less DCM. In fact the yield might actually be better since there is less goop for it to become entrained in.

[Edited on 5-17-2018 by Texium (zts16)]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 16-5-2018 at 20:43

For $70 you can get like three liters of DCM from distilling a gallon of paint stripper and also have a gallon of nitromethane delivered directly to your door!

There's always more reagents to buy, so if I can save $30-$40 on a reagent, I can use that to buy more reagents!

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 04:07

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
For $70 you can get like three liters of DCM from distilling a gallon of paint stripper and also have a gallon of nitromethane delivered directly to your door!

There's always more reagents to buy, so if I can save $30-$40 on a reagent, I can use that to buy more reagents!

?? care to explain how? what brands, where?
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 16:55

My msds or sds search last night showed kleenstrip premium stripper 60-100% DCM /gal. Others were same or less in the common diy brands. It's like 25$ + tax /gal at the local hardware store. Minimum retrieved would be 2.27 litres assuming 100% effective separation.

ACE hardware people get mailed coupons for discounts if you spend over 25$ a couple times a year. It could be cheaper if you try harder.

25$ I can budget easily, 70$ requires I... 1) have not bought anything else for myself recently, or 2) have a money generating need for it, or 3) I don't mind debating the misses for the rights to spend our money on my hobby.

RogueRose: I assume the paint stripper part was obvious, not sure on the nitromethane.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 17:03

Well, sin

There is a major supplier in Sacramento.

Wants 70 bucks per gallon, on-line.

Perhaps the out the door price, minus shipping, is a lot better.

Plan on being in Sacramento anytime soon?

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 20:04

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
My msds or sds search last night showed kleenstrip premium stripper 60-100% DCM /gal. Others were same or less in the common diy brands. It's like 25$ + tax /gal at the local hardware store. Minimum retrieved would be 2.27 litres assuming 100% effective separation.

ACE hardware people get mailed coupons for discounts if you spend over 25$ a couple times a year. It could be cheaper if you try harder.

25$ I can budget easily, 70$ requires I... 1) have not bought anything else for myself recently, or 2) have a money generating need for it, or 3) I don't mind debating the misses for the rights to spend our money on my hobby.

RogueRose: I assume the paint stripper part was obvious, not sure on the nitromethane.

Yeah, well the last part is kind of big, and if you can get nitromethane out of the same gallon, I'm kind of interested. Maybe by adding another reagent?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 21:12

Ah, sorry for any misunderstanding. My point was that if I spent $70 (well, maybe $75-$80, realistically), I could both buy a gallon of paint stripper and distill the DCM out of it, and also mail-order a gallon of nitromethane for about $50. You can't actually distill nitromethane from paint stripper.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2018 at 22:48

RogueRose: Yeah, well the last part is kind of big, and if you can get nitromethane out of the same gallon, I'm kind of interested.
-------------
I just figured the statement implied two separate transactions, one of which we were talking about and one thrown on top unrelated to prove the value of money saved by distilling the DCM yourself. But I looked at a lot of stripper SDS sheets yesterday with out seeing NM mentioned anywhere, which probably gave rise to the easy distinction of sources. No rudeness implied, I half expected to see it listed somewhere on an eBay site. No sir, I have no idea the source sorry. That's a chem I don't think I'd much relish distilling though, purpose bought if that.

Zed: I will have to check that place out some time. Sac's about an hour and half from home. Easily worth the drive. Last Craig's list purchase couple years back was same time driving to get an acetylene tank, and I thought I'd be excited about that one. Thanks for the heads up

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 21-5-2018 at 15:21

Damn it. Nitromethane seems to have gone up in price to $80/gallon with UPS ground shipping, in the US. That comes out to $20/liter, which is a pretty common price to pay for reagents, so I guess it's not THAT bad yet.

Incidentally, don't they give stores basically an infinite amount of time to sell off their remaining stocks? If I'm remembering correctly, that's standard protocol for phasing out a consumer product, unless there's been some research done showing that something is far more dangerous than anyone thought. And DCM is still the same moderately hazardous substance that we already knew it was.

DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 25-5-2018 at 17:10

Re the DCM in paint stripper ban and safer alternatives: I have found benzyl alcohol based paint strippers which work pretty well, and are certainly much less hazardous (not toxic, not carcinogenic, and not especially flammable).

j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Split
15-7-2018 at 20:16
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top