8.Liebig Condenser,24/40 ,300mm, Lab Glassware 1 Pcs

9.Distilling Column,vigreux,24/40,300mm 1pcs

10.Separatory Funnel,125ml,24/40, 1 Pcs

11.24/40 Hollow Glass Stopper 5 Pcs

12.24/40 Plastic Keck Clips 10 Pcs

13.Rubber Hose 2 Meter

14.PH Paper 2 Bag

15.Glass Thermometer 1 Pcs
https://www.ebay.com/p/1000-Organic-Chemistry-Laboratory-Uni...

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by TheMrbunGee]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 01:31

Looks like fun.
The only issue I would have is the combined thermometer adapter and still head. I think it is better to use a separate thermometer adapter. But those are easy enough to get and you do have a still head there.
Price seems ok (doing conversion in my head), but that is normal for deschem. Maybe some extra receiving flasks as well.

Edit
Think about what you will use for heating. I have a 500mL mantle and my 1L rbf has had nearly zero use. A mix of sizes does not always translate to versitility.

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by j_sum1]

User13579
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 01:32

Why don't you read the reviews on eBay from the people who've bought it? How could it be 'bad', anyway? Do you imagine a whole in the round bottomed flask, or something?! You can see what it's like in the picture, no?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 03:37

Quote: Originally posted by User13579  
How could it be 'bad', anyway?

Well, the rubber tubing could be perished or the ownership could be illegal.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 05:51

I agree with the comment;
Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I have a 500mL mantle and my 1L rbf has had nearly zero use.
A mix of sizes does not always translate to versitility...

RBFs are best heated in the 'correct' size heating mantle,
over- and under-size RBFs can be heated but with problems.
So multiple same-size flasks are more useful.

Distilling at atmospheric pressure I only use an RBF for collection if cooling is required,
mostly the condensate goes to temporary storage bottles for fractions, or waste.

Europeans tend to use 24/29 and Americans 24/40,
both work and are mostly inter-operable.
There have been inconclusive discussions here on which neck size is 'best' overall.

I'm biased toward 500ml flasks as I have a diy 500ml mantle based on
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ML-250W-Hand-Woven-Adjustable-...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-4000W-AC-220V-SCR-Voltage-Reg...
but I'd prefer a ready made mantle with inbuilt magnetic stirring,
(my own diy magnetic stirring is still not presentable)
but you can start with an oil bath for most purposes.
If you do go for the kit shown, an oil bath would be ideal.
BUT
Everything scales with flask size;
volume of reactants, products, storage space and containers, clamps, working space, fume hood volume, toxic disposal problems ....
SO
I may be using smaller glassware in future.

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Plunkett
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Everything scales with flask size;
volume of reactants, products, storage space and containers, clamps, working space, fume hood volume, toxic disposal problems ....
SO
I may be using smaller glassware in future.

This is me. I have the almost the same kit TheMrbunGee is looking at, except in mine the thermometer adapter and still head are separate. It is great for large scale preparations like nitric acid and solvent separations, but I wish I had smaller glassware overall and one large flask for when I need it. Once I was refluxing 20 mL of reactants in a 500 mL flask because it was the only suitable flask I had.

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by Plunkett]
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 07:13

Thank you for replies,

Quote: Originally posted by User13579  
Why don't you read the reviews on eBay from the people who've bought it? How could it be 'bad', anyway? Do you imagine a whole in the round bottomed flask, or something?! You can see what it's like in the picture, no?

I thought It may be some kind of sodium shit glass, I don't know.. :D It is hard to trust these sellers sometimes. If I buy something worth more than 20 euros - I double check things.

I think I am going to get it.

And for the heating - I'll use gas burner or oil bath for now.

Thanks!

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by TheMrbunGee]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 08:17

It's from Deschem, which is widely considered to be a fair supplier here. While their glassware is not the prettiest, necessarily, it is of decent quality, and very affordable. Quite utilitarian.

I haven't personally owned any of their glassware, but I have browsed their store before, and I'd recommend going with one of their bigger kits that comes with more flasks and an extra condenser. They seem to be a better deal, and you'll want to have more single necked flasks, even if just for temporarily storing things when you have more than one project going on at the same time. Also, I agree with J about the combined thermometer/still head. Their larger kits come with a separate one I'm pretty sure.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 08:51

What Deschem glass I have has been decent and functional. And often only .25 to .10 the cost of the same tool from Chemglass, etc.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Rogueasset
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 09:21

If it is borosilicate it should be OK.

Personal preference is not to have a ground joint on my seperating funnel as you use less solvent when flushing but if you set up some sort of equalising tube it could always double up as an addition funnel.

Since its come from China I would heat and sub zero test it with just water in first to build up your confidence in your kit. You don't want exploding acid in face the first time you heat it or cracking with your precious novel product in it when you bring it down to -80°C to lithiate it.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 14:01

In my experience Chinese glass is fine. Go for it

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 14:58

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
In my experience Chinese glass is fine. Go for it
That's quite the generalization. There is definitely quite a lot of Chinese glassware that is not nearly as good as Deschem's.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 15:46

Looks OK.

I recently bought THIS kit from Nanshing glass. Hasn't even arrived yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-40-2000ML-New-Chemistry-Glasswar...

I liked the inclusion of a 2000 ml flask, and the 250 ml sep. funnel. Plus, an extra thermometer piece. It's a lot of glass for the money!.

I would have preferred flat bottom flasks, which are easier to heat.... Vs round bottom, which are somewhat stronger. But, as I said: "It's a lot of glass for the money!" And, a kit based on flat-bottom flasks, is much more expensive.

The Claisen adapter, for most purposes, basically converts 1-neck flasks into two neck flasks. Available separately, for about ten bucks, is a modified Claison, which converts single neck flasks to three neck flasks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-40-Modified-Glass-Claisen-Adapte...

I also like the extra "reach" afforded by the wider than average "arms" of Nanshing's Claisens.

Heat sources other than heating mantles, are much more economical. That being said, when you really need high heats, nothing quite equals a heating mantle. So, even my desired (easy to heat) Flat Bottom flasks have limits. If you need to operate at really high temperatures, a well fitting (and expensive) mantle, is required anyway.

P.S. Those extra necks on the flasks, are not "free". You pay for them.
Generally, about $5 dollars per neck (or more), depending. Sometimes, the extra necks are a "must". But often, they may be improvised.

[Edited on 13-5-2018 by zed]
Leafs
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 18:43

I've found chinese glassware to be pretty decent. I mean there are definitely imperfections here and there but the joints themselves seal very well. Certain pieces can be very fragile though so be careful. I had this 3 way adapter break on me after one small drop and it broke into like 4 different pieces on impact lol. https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-29-3-Way-PTFE-Stopcock-Glass-Flo...

Another thing is you can almost always find the same stuff on aliexpress with the same sellers alot of the time at a better price. I think it's because ebay/paypal takes a bigger cut and they pass that cost on to the buyer.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 01:59

I think that the worst part of the cheap Chinese glassware is the ground glass joints :o
They look OK but they need an awful lot more grease to seal than my Quickfit joints of the same size.
Too much joint grease usually means that it enters the 'inside' of the glassware under heating, where it can pollute your product, or be chemically changed into a tarry mess.

I now use a few wraps of plumbers ptfe tape on the male joint
if I want a 'better' seal for gasses that I really don't enjoy such as NOX and Cl2.
(I don't mind inhaling a little whiff now and then, but when it eats my keck clips I get annoyed)

I have so far only broken Chinese glassware through abuse/misuse/clumsiness.

Bubbles in glassware have so far not behaved as bad as they look.

[Edited on 13-5-2018 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 14:59

To date, my Deschem 24/40 joints have been tight and sweet.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 20:09

I have a range of sizes of one neck flasks, and they all get used, but I only have two sizes of multi-neck flasks. I like the 500 mL size and use it for most experimental syntheses, but for routine tasks, I use 1 L flasks more often than anything else, even though I don't have any multi-neck 1 L flasks or a 1 L heating mantle.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 11:22

For the price, it is hard to go wrong, as I sell used 24/40 kits for more than that. The Chinese government subsidizes both manufacturing and postage to exporters, I think, so hard to compete with them, even with used glassware. You can handle a 500 and 1000 ml rbf fine, I have used the same heating mantle for both before, and it works OK (you can always use sand to fill the void space. Or use an oil bath, which both would fit into fine.

I have actually seen some of Deschem's glassware, it is OK, nothing great, but fine for normal work. The joints are mostly good, I don't like their stopcocks much, as I don't think they are "standard" ones, so hard to replace. But for most home chemists this kit would be fine.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 17:25

Most of the glassware I have received from Deschem has been sturdy . Not the most finely symmetrical, but sturdy and functional. Plenty good enough.

There have been exceptions. They supplied me with a reaction flask that was more than functional. It was magnificent.

Don't really know why I bought it. Perhaps because of its versatility. It can do a lot of things, and produce a large volume of product. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5000ml-24-40-Reaction-Flask-5L-4-Ne...

Of course, Deschem seems to be supplied by multiple manufacturers. And, they stock some items, that appear to be identical with those supplied elsewhere.

I will report in, on my in-transit Nanshing glassware. I've heard good things about their products. In general, they are a little more expensive than Deschem.

If Nanshing glassware measures up to be a little better; all good. They charge a little extra for 24/40 vs 24/29. And, they expect to be paid more, for flat-bottom flasks vs round bottom. Little things, that can add-up, to swell-up expenditures.

Another note on Deschem: Shipments often arrive within a week or so, and they arrive UNBROKEN. Great packing!

[Edited on 15-5-2018 by zed]

zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 13:33

Well, that Glassware kit from Nanshin arrived.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-40-2000ML-New-Chemistry-Glasswar...

One piece had an irritating inclusion in the glass, but I deemed it gruffly acceptable.

Overall, it was a lot of stuff for the money. And, the quality appears decent.

The Thermometer was not present, and I hope to negotiate a small credit for that, on my next order. I'm planning on using digitals, when possible, anyway. Good enough for NurdRage, good enough for me. I've got no great desire to get my face up close, to a hard-to-read conventional thermometer, poised over a flask of boiling Sulfuric Acid, anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TM-902C-Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Tem...

These units seem to work quite well, if not forever. For a couple of bucks more, you can purchase an accessory stainless-steel-probe. Walmart sells what appears to be the same unit.... for ~15.00 dollars U.S..

The great deal on glassware, is helpful, in light of all the other expenses accumulating.

Labstands, and clamps, and bosshead clamps, and heating mantles.... Etc. etc. etc....

I had forgotten, the great equipment resources, I had in years past: My walk-in purchase privileges at local chem suppliers, my well equipt college, my own motley but clever accumulation of glass and machines, the labs of my brother independent chemists, and those helpful friends with a functioning machine shop. "It takes a village....."

Much harder to get rolling now. So, I now better appreciate to difficulties some of the members face, in conducting experiments. Takes a lot of time, research, thought, and money.... just to get to the starting gate.

Chemistry also seems to require more equipment now, than in the past. A wide variety of reagents, that were formerly inexpensive and easily acquired, must now be improvised, or self-synthesized.

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by zed]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 19:39

Good outcome, zed.
Take a photo of the inclusion and get a credit for that as well. They will come to the party on that one I am sure.

TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 11:57

My kit arrived today, packages (there were two) were pretty badly damaged, but every piece of glassware survived! 23 days of shipping.

Did a small distillation of vodka, and everything is good! Now I would take zed's kit, but multi-necks are fine too, ordered few additional 1-necks.

BTW - I got 2 thermometers, maybe one is yours. :D (they are pretty bad anyways. got better reading with IR thermometer on the side or TC in the vapor path)

And I decided to make my own heating mantle. for now - salt bath is fine.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 18:39

all ways do calibration test with therms! boil distilled water then crushed ice water mix of distilled.

do not forget! factor elevation!

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 17:23

Twenty three days to Europe, is pretty good.

China is right next door to me here, but 21 days or so, is kind of an average transit time for me too.

Excepting for Deschem, which can sometime get shipments to me in 7 days or so.

Extraordinarily speedy!

Happy chemistry!
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 18-8-2018 at 18:58

I have to get all of my glass off of Amazon because otherwise the shipping is atrocious.
This delux organic chemistry kit by laboy is something I have been looking at for a while. Is it a good kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Laboy-HMK0103-Organic-Chemistry-Glass...

[Edited on 19-8-18 by Abromination]

IMG_3189.PNG - 490kB

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top