Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where can you purchase teflon sleeves/cuffs?
alking
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 08:26
Where can you purchase teflon sleeves/cuffs?

I'm looking for some 24/29 teflon sleeves. I see them pop up on ebay from time to time, but they're often well overpriced and they seem to be pretty rare. Are they not very popular or something? I figured anyone who does vacuum distillations often, which is very common, would have a set of these instead of continuing to use grease and clean it up after all the time. Are there any downsides to using sleeves over grease?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 09:02

If a group buy is necessary for a good price then I'll buy some.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 09:13

I'd like about 8 if anyone wants to go in.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 10:06

PTFE plumber's tape works just about as well, and a lot cheaper too.
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 11:45

I do use plumbers tape for vacuum filtration because there's no heat, no significant solvent interaction, and if it's not a complete seal it's not a big deal, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth to rely on it to seal numerous joints for a vacuum distillation. You need a perfect seal and if there's a leak it's much harder to detect which one(s) are affected where as with vacuum grease there are generally visual queues.

edit: And I'm not aware of any colorless plumbers tape. I've used the white stuff for a reflux or something before and it was clear afterward so even the white tape is dyed.

[Edited on 13-5-2018 by alking]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 12:14

Clear ptfe sounds like a money maker :o

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 10:10

eBay is your friend here, bu a word of warning. They tend to seal poorly, and they are difficult to remove from the joint without crinkling or damage. I own a set, but I virtually never use them for these reasons.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 10:22

Another reason might be that a tube of grease is a lifetime supply. So once people buy one they aren't in the market for anything anymore. I use silicone grease I found in the plumbing section, and that'll last me forever. Cleanup isn't bad; just a quick wipe with a paper towel and it's fine.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 15:35

Quote: Originally posted by alking  
I do use plumbers tape for vacuum filtration because there's no heat, no significant solvent interaction, and if it's not a complete seal it's not a big deal, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth to rely on it to seal numerous joints for a vacuum distillation. You need a perfect seal and if there's a leak it's much harder to detect which one(s) are affected where as with vacuum grease there are generally visual queues.

edit: And I'm not aware of any colorless plumbers tape. I've used the white stuff for a reflux or something before and it was clear afterward so even the white tape is dyed.

Most of the time when you do vacuum distillation you don't want/need a perfect seal. You should be using a pump that can readily compensate for the leakage which occurs anyways.
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2018 at 09:45

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Quote: Originally posted by alking  

Most of the time when you do vacuum distillation you don't want/need a perfect seal. You should be using a pump that can readily compensate for the leakage which occurs anyways.

Why is that? I can't see any benefit in not using a closed system for 99% of distillations.

Go To Top