Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Clearing my name (ld5050) please read...
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-5-2018 at 18:01
Clearing my name (ld5050) please read...

A while back a member here privately tried purchasing a small amount of chems from me. To make a long story short the chems where never sent out by me and the buyer naturally thought I had ripped him off. He then started a thread on here explaining what had happened and warned others to watch out for me. After we had made the deal and he sent me payment we had kept in touch for a few days and I was a bit late on sending the package out but I was keeping in contact with him.

Finally the day came where I had his order ready boxed up and ready to ship out. Unfortunately around this time my area was hit with a massive snow storm and I had been out plowing for about 24 hours+. While I was out plowing I planned to drop the package at the post office when I had the chance. Later on in the day before I got to the post office me and my son where involved in a very bad accident in the plow truck and I was severely hurt. I ended up in the hospital and was in a coma and obviously had no contact with the buyer at this point.

I remained in the hospital for around a month and when I finally felt up to it I logged onto science madness to contact the buyer to let him know what had happened. When I logged in i had many private messages from a few different members here asking me to explain myself and I was also restricted from posting anything on science madness untill I explained what happened and made things right. There was also a large thread started on me by the buyer stating that I had ripped him off and warned others to watch out.

To my surprise a lot of members here did not jump the gun and assume the worst from me which made me quite happy. I have been a member here for some time now and try to contribute what I can when I can. A few members here noticed something like this (ripping people off) was out of character of me and it made me feel good to see that. So thank you for those of you who suggested to the buyer not to jump the gun and assume I ripped him off it meant a lot to me.

I know that this is a long explanation but I feel I have to explain myself and the explanation is far over due. I am now in contact with the buyer/member here and I offered to ship him a smaller amount of the chem he originally wanted or I offered to send him some other more difficult to get reagents in place of the original order. He decided to just have his money refunded and I have full intentions to do so. He has been very patient with me and is a very understanding good person and I am thankful for that.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-5-2018 at 22:08

Thanks for reporting back. It is good to see that things have been resolved.

Just to let you know, your situation prompted a discussion among the mods. It is always awkward for the board and its administrators to be caught in the middle of a dispute. I don't know that we fully finished the discussion but there was agreement on a few key things.
1. Open discussion on the board is not the place for airing and resolving disputes. Do that privately.
2. Similarly, the open forums are not the place for transaction details. Advertising and requests are ok. But private details of transactions are exacy that: private.

If we have to shut a thread down because it crosses a line, it is not because we are picking sides. Rather it is because we don't want to pick sides.

I'm moving this to forum matters where it more properly belongs.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend after the accident.
J.

[edit] fat fingers on miniscule keyboard.

[Edited on 19-5-2018 by j_sum1]

j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Moved
18-5-2018 at 22:09
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 19-5-2018 at 07:49

Hope you’re recovering well, I had no idea something of that magnitude happened but it’s good to have you back. I’d like to apologise for suggesting to get the police involved and I’m thankful that idea got shot down, it’s just that some people believe that it’s a way to get free money especially when money back guarantees aren’t in the equation.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 19-5-2018 at 09:20

It's really sad that honorable people with misfortune like this can be mistaken for frauds so easily and there's not much one can do about it.
Get well soon man.

[Edited on 19-5-2018 by crystal grower]

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-5-2018 at 09:57

Quote: Originally posted by LD5050  
He decided to just have his money refunded and I have full intentions to do so.

I have learned many times it is usually a mistake to guess the curcumstances and motives of another person. We usually incorrectly imagine the worst.

The only correction I would make is to the quoted action. It would sound much better if you could say that the refund has already been made.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 12:27

Was never refunded btw, excuse after excuse, I'm moving on.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 12:36

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. There are some reputable sellers on here, and I've never been ripped off, but I protect myself with Paypal buyer protection and use Visa/Mastercard/etc. Also, I buy 90% of my chemicals on eBay. What were you trying to buy? Maybe someone here can help you out....

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 14:16

Sounds like you have had it rough! I hope you are doing better.

What was it that you trying to get, @drzdude?

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 15:33

I was going to try a synthesis of oxazoline starting by a condensation between formaldehyde and nitroethane, and was trying to source some of the latter.

After this all happened, I just scrapped the idea because I don't have much disposable income I can really dedicate for the lab. Will probably look for another reaction I can use the formaldehyde for.

No big deal really, just wanted to update this thread because I never even knew he made one.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 16:43

Oh, nitroethane? Hmm.. I think it's legal to buy in the U.S., but sales are heavily monitored by the DEA, so it's a little hard to purchase. IIRC if you're handling less than 2.5 kg of nitroethane you don't have to worry about keeping years worth of logs/reporting to the DEA/etc., but chemical suppliers in the U.S. do have to worry about it, and they can get in big trouble if they sell to the wrong person.

You can probably buy it from overseas as long as you don't ever possess more than 2.5 kg of nitroethane at a time (right?), but if you do, the DEA, the DHS, the Coast Guard, and the postal inspectors will be notified when it goes through customs, and the FBI will put photographs of the customs declaration and perhaps the inside of the package into your permanent file. So as long as you don't mind having several Federal agencies knowing about it, there are a couple of suppliers that will sell it to you.

drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-7-2018 at 11:25

Haha, I appreciate all of the thought that went into your post, but it’s not really something that is worth all of the hassle!

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Oh, nitroethane? Hmm.. I think it's legal to buy in the U.S., but sales are heavily monitored by the DEA, so it's a little hard to purchase. IIRC if you're handling less than 2.5 kg of nitroethane you don't have to worry about keeping years worth of logs/reporting to the DEA/etc., but chemical suppliers in the U.S. do have to worry about it, and they can get in big trouble if they sell to the wrong person.

You can probably buy it from overseas as long as you don't ever possess more than 2.5 kg of nitroethane at a time (right?), but if you do, the DEA, the DHS, the Coast Guard, and the postal inspectors will be notified when it goes through customs, and the FBI will put photographs of the customs declaration and perhaps the inside of the package into your permanent file. So as long as you don't mind having several Federal agencies knowing about it, there are a couple of suppliers that will sell it to you.

Go To Top