Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A round of applause for ACE Hardware. Especially ones in small cities in semi-rural areas.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 20-5-2018 at 19:09
A round of applause for ACE Hardware. Especially ones in small cities in semi-rural areas.

Today, I walked over three miles, mostly uphill, in very hot weather because it was becoming clear that the cruddy sulfuric acid I had was interfering with my ability to get a nice finish, among other things. And ACE Hardware has always had nice clear Rooto sulfuric acid for their drain opener. And stump remover, how about that? And 10% sodium hypochlorite bleach for $3/gallon. Nice! I headed over to the solvents section and saw full gallon cans of toluene for $20/gallon. Awesome! I bought one. My eyes scanned the other common solvents. Denatured alcohol... boiled linseed oil... mineral spirits... acetone... MEK... oh wait, that was MEK substitute? Wasn't that the name of a product that was discontinued years ago? Well, now that I think of it, the cans seem to have faded labels and a little rust on the edges... Could it really be!?

I frantically scanned the small print on the back of the can. Had to do it three times because I was reading too fast. Finally I read the magic words: "contains ethyl acetate". Full stop.

There were only two cans left, and I bought both. The print on the bottom said they were manufactured in October of 2011:

MEK substitute.png - 769kB

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 20-5-2018 at 19:12

Nice find!

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2018 at 19:32

You know when you are a amateur chemist when you take selfies with hard-to-find OTC chemicals lol :D

But really, awesome find. I need to check my local hardware stores, occasionally I can find some interesting things in old gas stations or "quicke" marts.

[Edited on 21-5-2018 by TheNerdyFarmer]
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 20-5-2018 at 20:08

There are 4 gal or maybe 3.5gal in a small town I know of... All rusty b/c less than a mile from the ocean... ~25$ iirc . Cans specifically say not for sale in California... LOL

Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 20-5-2018 at 20:10

Oof! Very nice to see a diamond find like this in the haystack! I should do some searching :D

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-5-2018 at 01:09

Awesome !

You'll never be caught with scarlet varnished fingernails ever again ;)

ELRIC
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-5-2018 at 02:35

They’ve got the same cans at our local Lowes. I was curious as to why it says “substitute” on the can, but never read the label.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 21-5-2018 at 09:07

Quote: Originally posted by ELRIC  
They’ve got the same cans at our local Lowes. I was curious as to why it says “substitute” on the can, but never read the label.

It was my impression that ethyl acetate was released as a substitute for MEK when California started complaining about MEK being a health hazard. Then for some reason, California came to the conclusion that ethyl acetate wasn't any safer, even though it's just an ester of two harmless, common naturally-occurring organic substances. So then they discontinued it, apparently.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2018 at 17:37

Yep, my local Ace also has the same stuff, in gallon cans. I got one. I get my Rooto there, too. Another Ace, further afield, had oxalic acid wood bleach on the shelves.

And a Hardware Hank in the burbs will order sodium nitrate fertilizer, $8 for 4 pounds, ideal for nitric acid production.

[Edited on 5/22/18 by PirateDocBrown]

Phlogiston manufacturer/supplier.

For all your phlogiston needs.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-5-2018 at 20:14

Don't forget copper sulfate and muriatic acid. One member said that Ace is a chemical supply store masquerading as a hardware store.

Also, in a small town hardware store I found a quart of ethyl acetate labeled as "ethyl acetate." I bought it for a friend who uses it as a butterfly anesthetic. I have plenty of my own.

Now, if we could just convince Ace to carry nitric acid.

[Edited on 22-5-2018 by Magpie]

[Edited on 22-5-2018 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2018 at 18:57

I stopped by Ace today and saw Klean Strip Toluol sitting on shelves for the first time ever. They didn't have any MEK substitute, but they did have MEK, not to mention the cheapest acetone I have ever seen, xylene, sodium hydroxide, several types of lime, boric acid, diatomaceous earth, and a variety of sulfuric acid drain cleaners. I think True Value has a better selection, but I haven't found bulk calcium hydroxide anywhere else locally, and Ace has really good prices on solvents.

meohmix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2018 at 19:50
ethyl acetate

I contacted the Klean Strip company some time ago and they told me they discontinued the MEK substitute product...sad.

RogueRose inquired about a ethyl acetate group buy:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=82319#...

Let him know your interested if you are.

(he also mentioned in that thread he knew of a cheap formaldehyde by the gallon source (at Wallmart???), if you know what he is talking about/where to source reasonably priced formalin, please let us know)
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 09:10

I went there on the day last and requisitioned 8 feet of tubing (for my own condenser, 300mm long, and to hook up an aspirator), sulfuric acid, bleach of a concentration of 10%, and hydrochloric acid. This all cost me 30 U.S. dollars. Online such a thing would have been much more because of hazard shipping. ACE is the best friend of the amateur chemist.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 09:31

Agreed! My local Ace in Stamps, Arkansas has all manner of goodies, including actual MEK.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 13:17

One of the local ACE franchisees carries Fertilome garden chemicals (Hi-Yield). Iron, Magnesium, Aluminum, and Zinc Sulfates, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Hydroxide, elemental Sulfur, and Sodium Nitrate (as I mentioned before). All readily purified, cheap, and useful.

Phlogiston manufacturer/supplier.

For all your phlogiston needs.
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 15:53

I too have always had good luck finding what I need
at Ace Hardware.

When I was a kid making hydrogen balloons, I'd walk down
2 blocks to my local Ace Hardware store to get hydrochloric
acid and a roll of sheet zinc.

Many years later when I first started investigating
making the brown wax to cast Edison cylinder recording
blanks, Ace Hardware was where I found my first 1 pound
bottle of "Insta-Flo" brand lye crystals. Turns out
all that's added to the sodium hydroxide in that drain
cleaner product is a small amount of carbon, just to give it
a greyish color. That easily filters out.

So yeah, Ace always has "stuff" :cool:

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison

Go To Top