Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Posting pictures of purified safrole?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 09:21

evil_lurker says:

Quote:

Others have posted pictures of manufacturing phosphorus. Both are List I controlled substances

I don't see phosphorus on either List I or List II. Am I missing something?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 09:40

That's an important distinction.

But one lost all too often in the night and fog.

As far as I am concerned requiring someone to have an ID card/roster of purchases and reporting purchases of listed chemicals to DEA 9by seller and or buyer) is a Fifth Amendment violation (against self incrimination) because of the presumption that so much of this and so much of that adds up to drug making activity.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 09:56

Phosphorus is probably missing as the List is a little out of date, it was only added about 6 years ago. (Along with hypophosphite.) Otherwise, the lists look about as I remember them. (There is also a separate, explicit list of 'watched' chems, which includes e.g. HgCl2, formic acid, pyridine, Et2HN.)

My understanding of the USA laws regarding List I chems: (please correct me if I am wrong, I really do want to understand this part!)

Not in any way illegal to possess, or even to purchase. However, the seller must keep detailed records of all sales of such materials, to be turned over to DEA. In practice, a hobby chemist will have no real chance of getting a List I substance, nobody that sells them will sell to *you*, and posession would be extremely suspicious (and might well trigger 'conspiracy to manufacture ...' charges.)

Even in Texas, posession of similar materials (TX has its own list of restricted chems which is approximately List I), is ok, however, recieving them from another is not (without a permit) so purchasing is not legal here, but this is state law, not federal.

List II chems have similar restrictions as List I, but only when purchased in amounts over some threshhold (e.g. 200 L drums) which won't affect hobby chemists.

Now, forgetting law, and returning to chemistry, which is much more interesting...

I am interested to see photos of safrole. It is a chemical substance, the Merck index has an entry for it, I fail to see what is wrong with descriptions (e.g. images) of its physical properties. Really, I want to smell some of it, but I don't think you can post smells with today's technology (sigh).
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 10:22

Quote:
Originally posted by pantone159
I am interested to see photos of safrole. It is a chemical substance, the Merck index has an entry for it, I fail to see what is wrong with descriptions (e.g. images) of its physical properties. Really, I want to smell some of it, but I don't think you can post smells with today's technology (sigh).

Why the hell would anybody be interested in seeing photos of a colorless oily liquid?
I suspect Conducter is only trying to annoy you all with his 'request for permission', which you all failed to notice.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 10:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
You might be thinking of saccharin, but that is off the market for decades. Meanwhile safrole is a carcinogen and FDA banned its use in root beer. Or anything else.

I believe that saccharain is still on the market in the USA. I personally avoid any and all artificial sweeteners, so I am not positive.

Anyways, I hardly count the FDA's imprimateur as my sole judgement as to what is safe to eat.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 10:54

There are a variety of governmental and non-governmental, international groups who do carcinogenicity studies, safrole has long been recognized as a carcinogen or do you dispute this?

That aside, now that it has been demonstrated that Levi misled us all about safrole being a "controlled substance" which it is NOT, there is absolutely no reason why it can't or shouldn't be freely discussed here or anywhere else.
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 10:57

Let's all be as "Suspicious" as possible, while being rigorously adherent to the law. Maybe wear star of David armbands as well.

Pantone159: You have sassafrass trees in Tx, don't you? Just smell some of the root. Also, there is an ornamental plant related to star anise with very fragrant leaves from the safrole content.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/I/illi_par.cfm

(Illicium. Go figure...)

[Edited on 4-13-2007 by Eclectic]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 11:06

That remark is in rather poor taste, @eclectic.
Levi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 11:12

Quote:
That aside, now that it has been demonstrated that Levi misled us all [. . .]

Yes, that's right and I'd do it again, too!

*Levi puts on his horns and runs around laughing hysterically*

What's with the finger pointing? I don't dispute the fact that I posted the word "schedule" in place of the word "list" but you make it sound like an intentional act.

[Edited on 13-4-2007 by Levi]

Chemcrime does not entail death. Chemcrime is death.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 11:16

I never said you did so intentionally, nevertheless you did so, with resulting train wreck of a thread, much ado about nothing.

Of course, the primary culprit is still conducter.
Eclectic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 12:37

@Sauron: I was alluding to the legend of King Christian of Denmark having EVERYONE wear armbands when the NAZI's said the Jews had to. 'Twas ment as an anti Fascist sentiment. Apologies to anyone who thought it was anti Semetic...
dedalus
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 12:57
Cancer from sassafras?

Horsepuckey.

I drank sassafras tea for some years. Maybe if you drank nothing else, even water, for 30 years.

It's only regarded as such because of the Delaney clause. You can't add it to things. You can still buy gumbo file, and that has sassafras in it.
dedalus
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 13:02

Quote:
There are a variety of governmental and non-governmental, international groups who do carcinogenicity studies, safrole has long been recognized as a carcinogen or do you dispute this?

That aside, now that it has been demonstrated that Levi misled us all about safrole being a "controlled substance" which it is NOT, there is absolutely no reason why it can't or shouldn't be freely discussed here or anywhere else.

Really? But, there are carcinogens, and then there are carcinogens. It's not like a nitrosamine, or bis-dichloromethyl ether.

I posted what I did before seeing what you'd written. I don't wish to be rude. But, I have a feeling you'd find it in lots of essential oils, as well as many other organic compounds with the same level of carcinogenicity.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 14:07

@dedalus So? Your point is?

@eclectic, that's a slight improvement, but in that case, just who are you calling a fascist?
Eclectic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 14:16

Jack booted drug and terror warriors who care nothing for individual rights and civil liberties. Proponents of suspicion equals guilt if there is even a 1% chance, and those who believe that any one who CAN violate the law WILL. Those whose only tool is a hammer, and therefore see every problem as a nail...
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 14:23

I look around and see none of those present. So I guess you are just venting.
Eclectic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 14:35

Yeah. Don't like the idea that an interest in chemistry or technology is "Suspicious" or illegal. Damn jack booted bureaucratic ignorant twits...

(the thread is already a train wreck...) :P
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 14:36

You don't need permission to post any pictures of purified chemical substances here. Sucrose, tetanospasmin, safrole, plutonium, whatever -- all are fine. The risk is all to the poster.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top