Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: how much of a history does glassware keep?
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by LearnedAmateur  
I mean I’d buy some if I’d use it for multiple things, but I very rarely order reagents which would only have a single use, especially if I’m buying a few hundred grams or a litre at least. I simply don’t have a need for hydrogen peroxide in synthesis, whereas I have plenty of sulphuric acid (on my synthesis scale anyway) for instance because I use it for a lot of things, and have enough to spare for glassware cleaning.

Hydrogen peroxide is extremely useful. It's also probably the cheapest and most ecologically-friendly oxidising agent other than air/oxygen gas.

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 12:30

Heat is probably the best choice for organics. I once worked at a lab analyzing among other things CHC and dioxin emissions using GC-MS. As I'm sure you can imagine these were extremely low concentrations, even after concentrating several liters of sample down to a few ml's of extract. All glassware in the lab was cleaned in a dishwasher with a very strong detergent, rinsed with distilled water and burned overnight at 400°C.
Must have cost a fortune as equipment routinely broke during the process. And we're not just talking beakers here, graduated flasks, pipettes, custom gas sampling equipment, soxhlet extractors, everything was treated this way.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top