Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Not sure if glassware is legal in Cali
Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

sad.gif posted on 22-5-2018 at 14:39
Not sure if glassware is legal in Cali

I’ve been looking at regulations for chemicals and lab glassware for Cali and I’m not sure if it’s legal to own. It seems like it might be illegal from the document I read and I don’t want to end up breaking any laws. I just was wondering if anyone here knows if it’s legal to buy/own lab glass in California. Thanks
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2018 at 17:20

It is typically legal, but it depends on your intent. It is well known that flasks of a size 22L and larger attract the attention of law enforcement. I suspect they may be interested in smaller flasks.

Zoning ordinances in many places state that you can't keep more than 4L of flammable solvents in your lab at one time without a permit, but there are typically exceptions for gasoline.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 13:43

What document?
You might want to talk to a local legal expert to be 100% sure.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 14:24

Please post a link to the document you refer to, or upload it.

How TF can anyone else know what you're talking about otherwise ?

[Edited on 23-5-2018 by aga]

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 17:16

Lab glassware is totally legal in California.

Even the ridiculous shit I've got sitting around.

Just relax.

coppercone
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2018 at 17:37

depends on what the cop or firefighter had for breakfast?

[Edited on 25-5-2018 by coppercone]
Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

[*] posted on 26-5-2018 at 14:44

http://ag.ca.gov/bne/pdfs/laws03.pdf

The thing I am worried about is part C of 11104. Providing Controlled Substance for Manufacturing

(c) Any person who receives or distributes any substance listed in subdivision (a) of Section
11100, or any laboratory glassware or apparatus, any chemical reagent or solvent, or any
combination thereof, where the value of the goods in the transaction exceeds one hundred dollars
($100), or any chemical substance specified in Section 11107.1, with the intent of causing the
evasion of the record keeping or reporting requirements of this article, is guilty of a
misdemeanor

This seems like I may be guilty of a misdemeanor if I were to order an amount of glassware that exceeded $100 and didn't properly document it.

Then there is also 11104.5 Which says
Any person who knowingly or intentionally possesses any laboratory glassware or apparatus,
any chemical reagent or solvent, or any combination thereof, where the value of the goods
exceeds one hundred dollars ($100), or any chemical substance specified in Section 11107.1,
with the intent to manufacture a controlled substance, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

This part worries me because if I own glassware or ANY chemical reagent or solvent where the total value exceeds $100 ( I don't even need to own controlled substances) I can be guilty of a misdemeanor if it is judged that I have the intent to manufacture.

I just don't want to be persecuted as a drug manufacturer for doing home science.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2018 at 03:39

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson  

(c) Any person who receives or distributes any substance listed in subdivision (a) of Section
11100, or any laboratory glassware or apparatus, any chemical reagent or solvent, or any
combination thereof, where the value of the goods in the transaction exceeds one hundred dollars
($100), or any chemical substance specified in Section 11107.1, with the intent of causing the
evasion of the record keeping or reporting requirements of this article, is guilty of a
misdemeanor

Sooooo if you head to Home Depot to pick up two 5 gallon cans of Acetone (each is worth around 60 USD if I'm not mistaken) you will be charged with a misdemeanor? A lot of the times common sense can be a good guide in a gray area such as this.
Reboot
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2018 at 16:45

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson  
http://ag.ca.gov/bne/pdfs/laws03.pdf

The thing I am worried about is part C of 11104. Providing Controlled Substance for Manufacturing

misdemeanor

This seems like I may be guilty of a misdemeanor if I were to order an amount of glassware that exceeded $100 and didn't properly document it.

My reading of the statute is that it only becomes triggered in the context of a controlled substance (specifically the precursors they list) or intent to manufacture a controlled substance. The law would most likely be deemed unenforceably vague otherwise ('glassware' could mean almost anything.)

Quote:
Then there is also 11104.5 Which says
Any person who knowingly or intentionally possesses any laboratory glassware or apparatus,
any chemical reagent or solvent, or any combination thereof, where the value of the goods
exceeds one hundred dollars ($100), or any chemical substance specified in Section 11107.1,
with the intent to manufacture a controlled substance, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

This part worries me because if I own glassware or ANY chemical reagent or solvent where the total value exceeds $100 ( I don't even need to own controlled substances) I can be guilty of a misdemeanor if it is judged that I have the intent to manufacture.

If you've been judged to be manufacturing a controlled substance, this regulation would be the last of your concerns. :-)

I think you're being overly cautious.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-5-2018 at 12:11

Ya that's clearly for drug cooks. They would have to show intent to specifically make illicit drugs with thosr, and face some extra minor penalty for skirting regulation. The way I read it, if you have more than 100$ worth of reagents from the list or equipment and then manufacture or get caught in the middle of... Boom your in trouble. But it seems more of a raindrop on the ocean kind of slap.

Oddly enough the pdf linked will display most pages but #'s 2, 3, 4, 12, 13, 14 will not. I can however highlight the blank pages, save and paste into doc to see... Weird.

learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 23:16

> can't keep more than 4L of flammable solvents in your lab

> there are typically exceptions for gasoline.

LAWL - how dumb can government fascists be? Anyway enjoy your police state.

Go To Top