Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Help coding insecticide synth in video game.
EPDGaffney
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-5-2018 at 23:14

Fantastic. Thank you for everything. The code for the chemical operations is all more or less finished. I'm redoing some of the models, adding a fume hood, and then I'll just need to do the code for when the player actually interacts with the insecticide machine. That's going to be tedious, combing through a lot of other code to make sure none of that code gets called once the insecticide is used (I should have planned this better). But after that, all finished.

When I make the video, anyone is free to critique the chemistry in it. Or anything else really. Besides graphics. Not much I can do about a game made almost a decade ago using a slightly modified engine from 1996.
EPDGaffney
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 16:44
Video's done.

I tried to play like someone that was unfamiliar with this section of my mod, even though I've play-tested it hundreds of times. The video consists of the situation leading up to the chemistry section, which provides context for why you may prefer to avoid combat if possible. So, apologies but the video is long.

The chemistry stuff starts at 20 minutes, so skip to that and watch for a moment or two if that's all you want to see. I'd appreciate any ways to refine the language used there.

Also, not sure who here quite got it but although my initial vision was basically a simulation of chemistry operations, with infinite possibilities I'm afraid it was just too much to code. So, as you're role-playing in this role-playing game and you have to be proficient in science and medicine (or have the Chemist perk) to do any interacting with the chemistry stuff, it does stand to reason that your character would know what to do even if you didn't. I just hope the writing sells that feeling to players.

Here it is:
https://ufile.io/rx9ac

PS Her hair goes through the radiation suit because the game's engine is a little terrible to begin with. So, sorry for that weirdness. I should have had smaller hair.

Thanks again, everyone.
EPDGaffney
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 07:47

I didn't realise the file was that big. Here's a streamable one:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11B-AWJ8AgeTWTDWw0Yi5QspL9p...

It's not the best quality in the world as I'm still learning about video codecs and such, but there's a HD button that makes it look decent, and it now has some annotations.
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 08:20

I love it, it's simple, but people playing it could catch some chemistry!

Only thing I would change is "drain cleaner" to just "sulfuric acid", because if you have barrel of that stuff - I doubt it's for cleaning drains. There is less need for clean drains in fallout era in my opinion! And also sulfuric acid is quite common name for non chemist people. I think its more confusing when its called drain cleaner.

Good job! :)

EPDGaffney
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 10:55

Quote: Originally posted by TheMrbunGee  

Thank you. That became the eventual goal, once I realised how many years it may take me to code real chemistry for this five-minute bit. My thinking was that I was after learning so much about chemistry for this that I could maybe spark a genuine interest in it for people playing my mod, and casually cram some of that knowledge into even those players that weren't going to pursue it actively but had the attention span to read what their character was doing. Fortunately, players of this type of RPG are a little more interested in that type of stuff (reading about the world and their character, that is).

Only thing I would change is "drain cleaner" to just "sulfuric acid", because if you have barrel of that stuff - I doubt it's for cleaning drains. There is less need for clean drains in fallout era in my opinion! And also sulfuric acid is quite common name for non chemist people. I think its more confusing when its called drain cleaner.

All this is true. However, this was supposed to be from before the Fallout era of post-nuclear dystopia, when people did have drains. Just in this case, the stuff is derelict. The people operating the lab last may have relabelled the barrel and collected drain cleaner there, potentially not ever succeeding in filling it. I honestly didn't think it through 100%, so I'll consider changing it, but I do like the idea that players can learn a little about the chemistry of their household products, and that was the major reason behind using drain cleaner instead of sulphuric acid.

Thanks for watching. I really appreciate it.
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 11:04

Quote: Originally posted by EPDGaffney  

Thank you. That became the eventual goal, once I realised how many years it may take me to code real chemistry for this five-minute bit. My thinking was that I was after learning so much about chemistry for this that I could maybe spark a genuine interest in it for people playing my mod, and casually cram some of that knowledge into even those players that weren't going to pursue it actively but had the attention span to read what their character was doing. Fortunately, players of this type of RPG are a little more interested in that type of stuff (reading about the world and their character, that is).

All this is true. However, this was supposed to be from before the Fallout era of post-nuclear dystopia, when people did have drains. Just in this case, the stuff is derelict. The people operating the lab last may have relabelled the barrel and collected drain cleaner there, potentially not ever succeeding in filling it. I honestly didn't think it through 100%, so I'll consider changing it, but I do like the idea that players can learn a little about the chemistry of their household products, and that was the major reason behind using drain cleaner instead of sulphuric acid.

Thanks for watching. I really appreciate it.

And the fact, that you wanted to make the mod this way so passionate - that's amazing!

Yea, I got your idea, but where I live drain cleaner is never sulfuric acid, it is sodium hydroxide and sometimes some additives (like aluminum, to make it look like it is working better, when it actually uses up hydroxide and renders the cleaner less effective).

You do how you think works, it just looked weird for me to see a barrel of drain cleaner. :D

EPDGaffney
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 11:38

And the fact, that you wanted to make the mod this way so passionate - that's amazing!

Thanks. That's kind of what I do. It has its good points and its bad points. It's a compulsion that drives me mad and leads to 95% completion on almost everything I do, never quite finishing anything. But when I do finish things, people tend to be impressed. So there's that.

Yea, I got your idea, but where I live drain cleaner is never sulfuric acid, it is sodium hydroxide

Well, I didn't even know there were different types, really. I just thought they were all 'drain cleaner'. My recent research says there are two main groups, that you should never mix them, and that one of these groups is mostly sulphuric acid.

and sometimes some additives (like aluminum, to make it look like it is working better, when it actually uses up hydroxide and renders the cleaner less effective).

Oops, haha.

MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 18-6-2018 at 07:05

I would put protective gear in a locker and have the player find an odd looking key.
They would have to save it and use the key to open the locker to get at the protective gear.

Of course there would be small tears (cuts) in the suit. ;) They would have had to have picked up the roll of duct tape to repair the suit.

And once they realize it, they would go back, only to see a small insect taking the tape into a burrow in the ground, never to be seen again. :P

Best of luck with everything. :)
EPDGaffney
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-6-2018 at 12:48

Haha I like it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top