Printable Version  
Author: Subject: calcium azide
-cyan-
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-4-2007 at 10:21
calcium azide

hi,
is it possible to form calciumazide by heating a mixture of Ca(NH2)2 with Ca(NO3)2 ? like the similar reaktion of sodiumamide with NaNO3 orwill the Ca(N3)2 explode by heating it about 200°C ? Or maybe its possible to form the azide by heating Ca(NH2)2 in an N2O-stream?

thx&greetz
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-4-2007 at 13:27

Is azide formed from amide and nitrate? I always thought that nitrite is required instead of nitrate.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 16-4-2007 at 14:06

The sodium amide reaction is the reaction between sodium amide and nitrous oxide not sodium nitrate. I have no clue what you would get from fusing the two calcium salts together...
-cyan-
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2007 at 06:14

the german wikipedia says this (maybe u don't understand the text but look at the equations):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natriumazid

my problem is only that the azide of Na decomposes at a lower temperature than that of Ca and i dont know how violent the decomposition of Ca(N3)2 is.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2007 at 12:27

Calciumazide will decompose above 110 degrees and explode above 160 degrees. This tempartures come from the book in the sciencemadness library about inorganic azides.

-cyan-
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2007 at 04:59

@tsjerk
whats the name of that book?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2007 at 07:11

Hmmmm, I think I've got it somewhere else, but I don't remember where. Where could I upload it? Or if someone could do it for me you could send your email by U2U and I could send it that way. It's 2,6mb and it's about energetic inorganic-azides. Very interesting.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-4-2007 at 22:28

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
Is azide formed from amide and nitrate? I always thought that nitrite is required instead of nitrate.

I must apologize for this. I have looked into this subject, and indeed, azide is made by fusing a mix of sodium amide and sodium nitrate, at a temperature of around 175 C. So, I was wrong. The material need be dry though, no liquid water may be present, otherwise the amide is destroyed.

I don't think this will work for calcium instead of sodium, for two reasons:
1) The formation of azide will be above the decomposition temperature of calcium azide
2) Calcium nitrate is not Ca(NO3)2, but Ca(NO3)2.xH2O (IIRC x = 6, but it might also be 3, not sure about that). This salt will 'melt' in its own water of crystallization and destroy the amide (giving ammonia).

Making anhydrous Ca(NO3)2 from the hydrated salt is not simply done by heating. Heating will result in expelling NO2 and O2, and calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide will remain behind.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-4-2007 at 22:57

Speaking of Ca(NO3)2 hydrations, I have a sample of salt that is most likely it. It is green from iron contamination. (Does iron really substitute into calcium nitrate crystal? I'd be more inclined to believe magnesium, but the salt doesn't behave as magnesium nitrate ought to.) The sample had been in exchange with basement air for some time, causing it to effloresce after crystallization. I recently dehydrated and weighed it, discovering that, assuming Ca(NO3)2.xH2O as the formula, x = 2.98 (give or take 5% error from weighing). Apparently the 3- and 4-hydrates are known, and accuracy in this difference is good enough that I think it dehydrated completely.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-4-2007 at 00:11

In this old thread there is a link to a paper discussing the thermal stability of calcium and other azides:
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6586&...

Go To Top