Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Extraction of human stem cells from blood (And another question)
Nate
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2018 at 21:09

Thank you for all the responses! I'll be completely honest and say I forgot I posted about this since I was working on other things these past couple months. Never the less this is still a goal I'd like to achieve but It won't happen for a while(obviously). I've definitely gotten some new ideas thanks to your replies.
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 12:58

Stem Cells From Adult Sperm Cells
https://www.webmd.com/men/news/20081008/stem-cells-from-adul...
Nate
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-2-2019 at 11:17

Thanks for this source! I will definitely read into it.
VictorMedvil
Seller of Fake Plasmid Junk

[*] posted on 16-2-2019 at 03:06

You can always use Viral Transfection to genetically alter the White Blood Cells or even Skin Cells to revert the somatic cells to induced stem cells using the Process for Induction of Stem Cells or Yamanaka Factors by inserting the genes Oct4, C-Myc , Sox2, and KLF-4 via Plasmid or Vector into the cells to turn them into induced pluripotent stem cells.

[Edited on 16-2-2019 by VictorMedvil]
Nate
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-2-2019 at 13:34

Yeah, I was actually looking into using that method since it seemed relatively simple on paper. I'll continue to look for more information on that method.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 16-2-2019 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by Nate  
Yeah, I was actually looking into using that method since it seemed relatively simple on paper. I'll continue to look for more information on that method.

Making induced pluripotent stem cells may seem straightforward, but mammalian cell culture requires a lot of resources that are hard to obtain for the amateur. As someone with experience growing stem cells in a university research lab, I would estimate the minimum required would be $10,000 and 500 hours of work over 6 months, and that's if you know what you're doing and can construct most of your own equipment.

If you're planning to do a viral transfection, you'll need some way to grow the virus in a packaging cell line. I would actually suggest using a transposon-based method (you should look up PiggyBac) instead of using viruses, since it's simpler and safer.

But the important question is: do you really need to establish a new iPSC line instead of using an existing one? What are you planning to do with the stem cells?

If you're serious about this, I'd be happy to discuss more with you over U2U.

[Edited on 2019-2-16 by Metacelsus]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Nate
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-2-2019 at 01:18

To be honest, I just wanted to see if I could. Though It'd be cool to see what I can do with them. I know it definitely won't be a cheap project or an easy one. I thought it would be cool to try and grow some other part of my body via these stem cells, though that's probably an obscene idea that I could never accomplish in a home lab. This was mainly for my own educational growth.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top