Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How does terephtalic acid work in smoke grenades?
John paul III
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 05:09
How does terephtalic acid work in smoke grenades?

How does terephthalic acid work as a smoking agent? Does it need added oxidizer? (it's always listed alone) Does it react in contact with air? How does its efficiency compare with C2Cl6+Zn?

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by John paul III]
softbeard
Hazard to Self

Mood: moody

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 03:49

I'm not sure specifically for terephthalic acid, but usually materials like this generate a light-obscuring aerosol by first being vaporized in a 'low temperature' pyrotechnic reaction.
Usually, the pyrotechnic is something like a KClO3 / sugar mixture with NaHCO3 added. The terephthalic acid is added as a component and vaporized when this mixture 'burns'. The terephthalic acid then re-condenses as an aerosol 'smoke'.
The point is, terephthalic-acid-smoke should be relatively innocuous to breath in concentrations that still make a good light obscurant.
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 10:39

Sofbeard is correct I am quite sure.

Terephthalic acid can be used in the mixture with potassium chlorate and lactose. Yes, it needs an oxidizer and a fuel.
In a mixture with an oxidizer and a fuel it is s vaporized and the particles form the obscuring smoke in a similar fashion to the coloured dyes used in KClO3 compositions.

I think it is quite similar to HC smoke but without the toxicity baggage.
The HC smoke is a better obscurant due to the darker colour and ?thickness? of the smoke cloud. It is less likely moved by the wind or breeze I as well I think because it is more dense and heavier.
Then there is always that toxicity problem raising it's head again though;) and the military is always trying to phase anything out that is toxic.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 9-6-2018 at 02:43
That took 30 seconds...

I have never made this. Don't need smoke too often- But:
Quote:

This Terephthalic Acid is very fine and ready to use. Mixed with Potassium Chlorate and Lactose (or Confectioners Sugar) it produces a dense white smoke.

KClO3 23
Lactose 16
TPA 61

Used in military smoke gernades as a replacement for HC smoke.

Mixture information provided by an online supplier-

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-6-2018 at 03:04

Go To Top