Baking soda no longer OTC? Laugh? Cry? You decide

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-4-14/54115.html
:mad:
Morons...

Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 29-4-2007 at 17:45

Looks like they've forgotten to ban the water, the other key ingredient.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 29-4-2007 at 19:13

I'm all for it.

Make everyone who buys baking soda give up their personal information and spend thousands of dollars and man hours (not just LE's money, sellers included) to create a database of everyone in the state who has a deoderized refrigerator.

I guarantee no judge out there in his infinite wisdom will issue a search warrant because someone bought up a bunch of baking soda...

I wonder if the idiot realizes that any person can go to the local ag supply place and buy it by the 50 pound bag for a small fraction of store prices.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 29-4-2007 at 19:43

Baking soda is a virtually harmless chemical that is well known and widely used by nearly every household in the US. It is not only used to deodorize refrigerators and clean drains but is also widely used in household baking.

In some ways I hope that the bill passes as I would like to see a "grass roots" protest arise against such ridiculous regulation. At least that is what I hope would happen. Now if the masses just accept this as another necessary govt restriction for "our own good" then I'm afraid that there will be no end to it. :mad:

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 29-4-2007 at 21:02

Well of course the whole thing is ridiculous on its face but bear in mind this is only a single state (Missouri), and it's presently merely a legislative initiative by a single state representative at that, it may well not pass because it really is laughable.

Any members from Missouri, write your state reps and protest this absurdity.

I have a close friend in Missouri who is a noted religious leader and I will contact him and ask him to speak out against this affront to Mom and apple pie because without baking soda, Mom won't be baking any apple pies and Mom would druther cook her children than have to front over her photo ID at the checkout counter.

[Edited on 30-4-2007 by Sauron]
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 29-4-2007 at 22:34

Representatives write silly bills that have no chance of going anywhere all the time. It's what they do, really. That and anything that bloats gov't or prisons. This is like his best chance of doing something about crack short of trying to get executions for drug dealers, which probably isn't far off at this rate. The vast majority of much less silly bills are never considered, much less signed into law. Watch the status of this not change:

http://www.house.mo.gov/bills071/bills/HB1189.htm
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 29-4-2007 at 23:57

Just a small redirect:

It's his best chance to appear to "do something about crack"

Not to actually do something effective (difficult if not impossible).

The appearance of action is what matters in politics. Not the reality.

If this penny-ante leglator thinks his initiative will have any real impact against crack, then he is a lot stupider than his bill.

Perception over reality, reception IS reality, or more real than reality. The world Marshall McLuhan understood and predicted. The global village and the idiot box. The internet, God help us, is an extension of the idiot box for most people anyway - present company excepted of course.

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 06:02

Sorry not_important, but this comment seems like it could easily touch off another round of argumentation of exactly the sort we've tried to avoid lately. --Polverone

[Edited on 4-30-2007 by Polverone]
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 17:38

I hope this is a joke! If they want to ban baking soda why not just ban cleaning and cooking because half the stuff could be used to make bombs or drugs!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 19:16

Now they will also have to control carbon dioxide (including all carbonated beverages and dry ice) and soda ash because these are precursors. Then they have to outlaw wood ash (and therefore all wood unless treated as fire resistant) because its a precursor to potash, from which baking soda can be synthesized using salt, which will also have to be controlled. All forms of lime must be regulated, since Ca(OH)2 can be used to capture atmospheric CO2 for use in baking soda manufacture. In fact, all alkali metal and alkaline earth salts are of potential use by the clandestine maker of NaHCO3, and would be worthy of control to further the war on drugs! :D

[Edited on 30-4-2007 by Elawr]

guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 19:30

Don't you just love ignorance?

I dont think this ridiculous law will ever pass.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 30-4-2007 at 23:14
Blazing Saddles

"We've gotta protect our phoney baloney jobs !" That classic line from Mel Brooks as
the corrupt governor describes that Missouri legislator pretty well, don't you think ?
As Sauron, said, he wants to appear to be doing something about the crack
problem in the "Show Me" state. Same shit as gun control. Pass useless regulations and
hope the voters are stupid enough to believe he did something about the problem.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 01:50

Somebody please mail this guy the DHMO website and the accompanying Penn and Teller video.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 04:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Twospoons
Looks like they've forgotten to ban the water, the other key ingredient.

Don't forget the all important third ingredient: cocaine.

If they can't control the sale of cocaine, they're not going to have much luck with baking soda.

As others have pointed out, it's nothing to do with restricting drugs, and everything to do with appearances.

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

Mood: heretical

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 05:49

They should also ban that insidious chemical, chlorinated natrium. Not only can it be used by drug dealers to make baking soda (via sodium hydroxide), it can also be used by Evil Terrorists (TM) to make chlorates which can be used to make bombs.

Never accept that which can be changed.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 13:44

Pyrovus, you forgot one other very important reason, why NaCl should be regulated. You can make HCl from this, when it is combined with battery acid, and as you all know, HCl is one of those evil chemicals, used by the drugs-cooks to make their stuff.

A good suggestion for the USA-govt. would be to regulate all chemicals, except Ephedrine & Co. That would be a real good step against drugs-making :D.
Over here we do things the other way around. Ephedrine, saffrole, cocaine and a few others are highly regulated or even forbidden, all other chemicals can be purchased (at least as far as drugs-making is concerned, other reasons, such as liability issues still may make purchase of some chemicals hard).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
jimmyboy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 19:37

the yokels that run our government must be stupid -- you can get potassium carbonate by leaching hardwood ashes.... what use is this really... (will oak trees be banned next!??! NEWS AT 11) :D
obsessed_chemist
Hazard to Self

Mood: electronegative

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 13:57

A good portion of freebase cocaine is smuggled into the 'States' as such already. The process required to convert this into the hydrochloride is time-consuming, costly, and adds increased risk, etc. Not only that, but the hydrochloride is hyroscopic, and more heavy, thus further complicating the smuggling process.

The drug lords already know this, and are aware that smokable-cocaine has become immensly popular in the 'States', and so one could rightly assume that they've already been using these facts to their advantage for some time now.

Also, if they're going to take baking soda off the shelves, they had better start keeping tabs on everyone who purchases clear ammonia, especially the janitorial or blueprint grade varieties, and also ether-based starting fluid. I think Richard Prior would've agreed :D.

[Edited on 5/4/2007 by obsessed_chemist]
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-5-2007 at 21:37

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyboy
the yokels that run our government must be stupid -- you can get potassium carbonate by leaching hardwood ashes.... what use is this really... (will oak trees be banned next!??! NEWS AT 11) :D

I think I read somewhere on the caveman chemistry website that you could expect about a pound of K2CO3 from a couple thousand pounds of wood burnt to ashes. If you got a lot of wood and a lot of time and want the challenge...
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2007 at 02:00

Quote:
Originally posted by alancj
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyboy

I think I read somewhere on the caveman chemistry website that you could expect about a pound of K2CO3 from a couple thousand pounds of wood burnt to ashes. If you got a lot of wood and a lot of time and want the challenge...

Given that the ash from burning wood at a fairly low temperature, 900 C or less, runs 5 to 15 percent K2O, that sounds a bit off. Now the ash content of wood is a half to two percent, so burning a tonne of wood would give very roughly 10 Kg of ash, which would give you a Kg of K2CO3 plus some Na2CO3.

Some of the potassium in plant ash is in the form of K2SO4 and KCl, useful from the standpoint of fertilizer but not for making alkali.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1993/misra93a.pdf

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1991/baker91a.pdf
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-5-2007 at 23:24

ok, a couple pounds per ton of wood. :P
DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 12:00

In view of the danger of letting any possible drug precursor getting into the hands of the public, I am proposing the following to my senator;

In view of the dangers of urea as a well known precursor of barbiturates;

In view of the fact that dihydrogen oxide is neccesary for all drug preparations;

That both urea and dihydrogen oxide be listed as controlled substances under the act of 1970;

That it shall be illegal to make water.

For the terminally moronic there is no cure. But please, folks, don't (re)elect them! No, I'm not a democrat, nor a republican; I am a conservative libertarian. By definition, such a person cannot belong to anything as foolish as a political party.

DerAlte
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 23-5-2007 at 06:11

Quote:

For the terminally moronic there is no cure. But please, folks, don't (re)elect them! No, I'm not a democrat, nor a republican; I am a conservative libertarian. By definition, such a person cannot belong to anything as foolish as a political party.
DerAlte

When one asks "WHY" they get re-elected the answer becomes obvious. Those who wed themselves to a party generally get what they deserve. "The Party" will generally never deliver what they promise as they attempt to be all things to all people. Personal & political maturity appear to be mutually exclusive: in that admitting that you were wrong will never get you elected.
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 23-5-2007 at 15:23

Quote:
Originally posted by DerAlte
In view of the danger of letting any possible drug precursor getting into the hands of the public, I am proposing the following to my senator;

In view of the dangers of urea as a well known precursor of barbiturates;

In view of the fact that dihydrogen oxide is neccesary for all drug preparations;

I wouldn't suggest urea to them. They might take you up on that idea.

Suggesting water is good, though, because it kind of just rubs their face in the stupidity of it all.
DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 17:04

I have actually produced potassium carbonate from wood ashes - a whole winter's worth of logs, which isn't much as I live in subtropical realms. The idea appealed to my twisted sense of humor and my CRUD philosophy (Chemical Reagent from Utter Dross). From the ahes of several hundred pounds of wood (oak and assorted pine, mainly, whatever the plot gives) I got about 50 gms K2CO3. The energy consumpion to evaporate is quite uneconomic. The salt ( very soluble) was quite pure - no sodium, according to spectrum and flame tests. Apparently plants are adept at sorting out the two ions, which is more than I am!

As far as urea is concerned, I do hope you all got my pun - no, I'm not doubting your intelligence. The phrase

make water = pass water = urinate. So if you prohibit any one to "make water".....

Urine from heathy adults contains about 25 gm urea per diem.

Regards,

DerAlte
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top