Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Malonic Ester Synthesis. Side reactions
FrankMartin
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2018 at 17:05
Malonic Ester Synthesis. Side reactions

Hi, an experiment with the malonic acid synthesis gave a poor yield and much low-BP product. (ME = "malonic ester")

ME + RBr + NaOEt = R-ME(desired product)+ NaBr

But the following seems to occur too.....

ME + RBr + NaOEt = ROEt (an ether) + R-ME + NaBr

What are the best reaction conditions to maximize the first equation?

Frank
TheRealKP
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-6-2018 at 14:58

FrankMartin,

You should add the sodium ethoxide solution slowly with a pressure-equalized addition funnel, and keep the reaction concentration low. Whatever else you do depends upon the R group that you are using. Basically then it comes down to a kinetic versus thermodynamic approach.

I was trained in a lab with students who worked on exactly the same reaction and they seemed to have succeeded in obtaining the ME-R species.

KP
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 25-6-2018 at 15:02

Welcome to ScienceMadness TheRealKP !

I see you went to the trouble of joining two months ago, yet this is the first post.

There is no need to be shy here.

Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-6-2018 at 21:45

The best conditions to maximize the first reaction is to completely suppress the second reaction by using a non nucleophilic base. I've done enolate alkylation using LDA but there are a myriad of sterically hindered bases and things like the alkali hydrides which would work equally well. Perhaps even something such as potassium tert butoxide would work.
FrankMartin
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 19:06

Quote: Originally posted by TheRealKP  
FrankMartin,

You should add the sodium ethoxide solution slowly with a pressure-equalized addition funnel, and keep the reaction concentration low. Whatever else you do depends upon the R group that you are using. Basically then it comes down to a kinetic versus thermodynamic approach.

I was trained in a lab with students who worked on exactly the same reaction and they seemed to have succeeded in obtaining the ME-R species.

Thanks you. My setup attached. I understood the alkylhalide was the one to be added slowly following Vogel & OrgSyn. Strangely there is no exothermmic reaction when the halide is slowly added, and about 10hr is required for the alkalinity of the mixture to reduce to give a "neutral litmus'' test. Do you say the ethoxide is the one to be added to the other reactants? Nothing in Vogel or OrgSyn says this, and I've seen it only in very early patents.
KP

P1030684W.JPG - 326kB
FrankMartin
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-6-2018 at 19:13

Quote: Originally posted by Sigmatropic  
The best conditions to maximize the first reaction is to completely suppress the second reaction by using a non nucleophilic base. I've done enolate alkylation using LDA but there are a myriad of sterically hindered bases and things like the alkali hydrides which would work equally well. Perhaps even something such as potassium tert butoxide would work.

I can get some tBuOK from Merck. But would this transesterify with the Malonic Ester?

Go To Top