Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Jackpot from abandoned institute of inorganic chemistry
Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

Mood: Probably

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 09:06

Same here, I searched these abandoned labs, factories etc. on youtube etc. and tried to locate them on google maps through different hints.

In one case they just started to tear off or rebuild the place only a few months before I came there. The pictures with the full chemicals cabinets I found on the internet were taken only a few months before.
In another case at the outskirts of Berlin I met some people who still used the buildings (illegaly?) there. It was a former tire factory. They told me authorieties came one year earlier and brought out the chemicals from the storage rooms with wheelbarrows. Nobody cared about these storage rooms before, since most people don't know what to do with loads of different chemicals. The only thing left was an empty black plastic canister hand labeled with "KOH solution" ;)
The former tire factory also suffered from a few cases of arson is now gone.
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 04:36

I finally put everything in place, and fixed some errors in quickly determining what the chemicals are.

Lithium carbonate turns out to be lithium oleate.

And one of 2 mercury nitrate jars is labeled Hg2(NO3)2. both salts look the same, and there is some yellow coloring on surface of salt (did not dig in to see if it all is yellow.

Because the salts are so old -

"Solutions of mercury(I) nitrate are acidic due to slow reaction with water:

Hg2(NO3)2 + H2O ⇌ Hg2(NO3)(OH) + HNO3
Hg2(NO3)(OH) forms a yellow precipitate."

but that doesn't explain why both of them are yellow.

Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2018 at 11:21

In the absence of free nitric acid mercury II nitrate tends to partially hydrolyze to a yellow basic nitrate and although I don't know for certain I suspect that mercury I nitrate will do something similar either through hydrolysis or via oxidation directly to a basic nitrate.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top