Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ace glass fairy pooped on me, where the heck am I gonna get a clamp for this monstrosity?
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

biggrin.gif posted on 10-5-2007 at 12:01
Ace glass fairy pooped on me, where the heck am I gonna get a clamp for this monstrosity?

Yeah I'm showing off. I'm tickled crapless. This makes up for the last Ebay fiasco... now all I need is a clamp for that big boy and I should be good to go... all my clamps and stands are too small! I need something that will fit around the fat part of the funnel.

Now I know why they got rid of it, a 2000ml addition funnel is just too darned big! :P

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 13:22

Very nice, how much for the small one :P Actually, if you don't want the 2L, you just let me know. It'd go nice with my 55L flask :)

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 20:23

I think I am gonna keep them. I only got $1400 in everything in the photo, and $1180 of that is in the mattress, bed, and sheets, lol.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 00:36

Nice find!

If I were you I'd improvise with standard clamps and stands. If your stand is too short, you can purchase some roundbar of the same diameter and a die nut to thread the end to fit in the base, and cut it to your desired length.
You can also ask a metalworks company to weld larger calipers on a standard clamp to fit around the glassware and fix some padding on the inside.
I reckon that would be cheaper and easier than trying to source something.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 06:24

Try one of these: http://vwrlabshop.com/vwr-talon-chain-clamps/p/0007554/

I'm sure you can find one cheaper than $36.74 +shipping. Maybe Ebay, if you dare.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 09:20

That chain clamp is the shiznit.

While I'm there, I'm going to snag some of those bolt in bases and redo my frame. Its mostly pieced together with plated steel and cheap clamps and bases from cynmar... freaking crap so much as gets a whiff of acid fumes and it rusts like crazy. Plus the big cast iron bases get in the way of my hot plate and if it gets a little bit unbalanced it will tip over!

http://vwrlabshop.com/product.asp?pn=0007577

If I go that route I'll probably snag some 6061 alloy aluminum rod (so it don't rust... stainless is too high $ for my taste) to build a frame. Heck the prices on this stuff is dirt cheap... a rod of aluminum costs less than a steel rod from the local hardware store.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1084&step=4...

hinz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2007 at 09:50

Buy the stainless steel from a big supplier. When I build my frame, I asked a guy who works with steel whether he could get me some 14mm dia. of stainless steel rod. He said if I want some I must take 6m, it was the minimum amount he could order, so I took the 6m and later cut it down with a hacksaw to build my frame. I wouldn't take aluminium because:
1: will corrode if you spill HCl on it.
2: it's soft and the screws of the clamps will leave a small crater on the surface each time you fasten them.

The supporting stand (where you stick or screw the rod in) I casted from lead, I used stainless steel inserts I made on a lathe so the mount for the rods won't wear out. Each of them weights 20kg and you can hang everything as assymetric as you want on the frame, it won't collapse. If you would do the same with those supporting stands made from a steel plate I use in school, it would collaps for sure.

Go To Top