Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Experiments
Epruveta
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2007 at 03:22
Experiments

I adore chemistry. I adore spending time in laboratory. I did all experiments from my chemistry text book so I would like to try to do some others. I am second year of high school and this is my fourth year of learning chemistry so experiments should not be dangerous or my profesor will not let me do them. If you have something interesting, post it, and I`ll try to find some experiments on my own and post them.

P.S. I am from Serbia so sorry if my english has mistakes.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 13-5-2007 at 08:02

Your English is fine; I can understand it. They start you guys early over there.

I suggest you do some simple reactions in microscale. Single replacement, metathesis ("double displacement"), gas generation.

Example: copper wire in silver nitrate solution, lead nitrate with potassium iodide, oscillating reactions. Maybe try to make some esters, amyl acetate, methyl salicylate, ethyl acetate, all of which smell good.

Could always make various alums or synthesize some salts, perhaps try crystallization with them.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 13-5-2007 at 11:01

http://81.207.88.128/science/chem/exps/index3.html
This is the site of a member here(woelen).
Really nice amusing experiments.

4th year learning chemistry and only 2nd year of high school? Over there your education system must be more sophisticated.

Epruveta
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2007 at 13:51

Our elementary school lasts 8 years and we start chemistry classes in 7th grade. Thanks for replay, I`ll try to do something.
DDoS
Harmless

Mood: enthusiastic

[*] posted on 13-5-2007 at 14:16

For some more "serious" organic synthesis, try synthesizing aspirin and recrystallizating it (sp?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2007 at 15:31
Welcome aboard

Hello Epruveta,

Welcome to ScienceSensibility!!!!!!
Your English is much better than mine (but that is not much of a compliment):D

I hope you Chemistry is better too!!

Looking for some experiments........you could always start here:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

(My particular bent)

I believe that there is a lot of untapped information in Eastern Journals regarding Cobalt Oxide anodes but I may be incorrect.

Cheers,
Dann2

[Edited on 14-5-2007 by dann2]
JustMe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-5-2007 at 09:39

An experiment I always enjoyed doing is making Sodium Tetrathionate from Sodium Thiosulfate and Iodine (I believe dissolved in Alcohol).

I know longer have the textbook that describes the procedure, but it is super easy, not particularly dangerous and very rewarding to watch the Sodium Tetrathionate crystalize out. I always thought the thionates were interesting compounds. I think it is just a matter of calculating the stoichiometry and adding a concentrated Sodium Thiosulfate solution drop by drop to cooled Iodine in Alcohol and once the color is discharged permanently, set it aside to crystalize... but look it up to be sure.

If you are daring (and so is your teacher), and you have a fume hood available and a classic piece of glassware, a retort... you may try for Chromyl Chloride. Be aware that it is a toxic gas/liquid of hexavalent Chromium, but, hey, I made it in my backyard when I was in High School, so it ought to be a breeze in a lab.

Very easy (again, from memory)... mix the stoichiometric amounts of Sodium Chloride and Potassium Dichromate in a cooled retort... carefully add cooled concentrated sulfuric acid and warm gently. A very gratifying dark red-orange gas distills over and is easily condensed in a cooled receiver. Very strong oxidizer, do not let it come in contact with anything organic.

One more thing, it is really cool to "pour" some of the gas out into a solution of hydrogen peroxide and watch the color change to deep blue of the CrO5 ion.

I've done both of these in my back yard (many, many years ago), so ought to be a snap in a lab. Have fun.

[Edited on by JustMe]
dedalus
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-5-2007 at 10:19
Yes, I know, I'm like a broken record, but...

Bio-diesel.

There's lots of unsolved problems in this exciting new field. There's an opportunity for you to do a real experiment, not just a demonstration.

William Perkin discovered the dye known as "mauve" when he was only 19. Who knows?:D

Good luck!

Go To Top