Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Beakers cracking
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 08:34

It'll be fine in the oven. If you want to be even more cautious you can even put a towel between the beaker and the metal grate. Both oven, towel and beaker will be safe up to 300F (cotton or wool towel).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
prole
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 09:26

Thanks, Tim. If it does crack, I won't blame you:D. I like your towel idea. I have some welder's cloth that won't even blink in the oven at these temps. I'll give it a whirl and post back with my results.

It worked like a charm. No cracks or nuttin'. Smells are gone. It took about 5 hours at 150 F to drive off the smell of ammonia. I didn't have the stones to run it hotter. Maybe next time, I've got several more bottles to de-aromatize. And thanks again for the towel idea, I'm gonna use that from now on.

[Edited on 10/11/2008 by prole]

jarynth
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 20:41

Temperature itself is not the problem. Glass is still glass up to 1000K and more. You only have to pay attention to the temperature change rate. Pyrex expands little, quartz even less, that's why it's more resistant to rapid heating. Insulating your bottle from the metal parts by means of a bad heat conductor (cloth, fiber wool etc) ensures slower, smoother heating.
prole
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 12:22

That clears it up, jarynth. You can soften glass without cracking it if it's heated slowly and evenly, and as long as you don't quench it in water or otherwise rapidly cool it, it won't crack. In the past, I've dried pyrex glass in the oven directly on the metal grates or a cookie sheet. Nothing happened to the glass, but now that I am less ignorant on the subject, I'll be using the welder's towel for those purposes. The towel wasn't even warm after I heated the above bottle for 5 hours at 150F. Next time, the oven will be a bit hotter, because five hours is too long.

On a distantly related note, I once attempted to heat a solid mixture in a porcelain crucible, which is made for heating (right?) and as soon as I put the flame to it, it popped into several pieces. I replaced that piece of crap with a stainless steel one, which had damn well better not 'pop' when I put flame to it!

Thanks for your replies, guys.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 12:51

Porcelain has a high glass content, you have to be careful with it as well. More porous, refractory ceramics tend to perform better.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top