Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: How's $24 per liter for 70% nitric acid?
alancj
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 17-5-2007 at 22:36
How's $24 per liter for 70% nitric acid?

Hi all,
I got a quote from the same supplier mentioned in the "sodium silicate solution" thread. He quoted me 24 bucks per liter of nitric acid and 50 per Kg of lead nitrate. The nitric is 70% and the lead nitrate is... I have no Idea the purity of either, I’ll ask. There is a $32 hazmat fee... I sent him an email asking how many bottles he can send on one hazmat fee and if that also applies to the lead nitrate. He is going to get back to me on that. What is significant here is that this company sells to INDIVIDUALS!

So, if you’re in the US (maybe only continental) then this may be a supplier for those and other chemicals that nobody else wants to sell you. As long as you don’t buy a train load of fuming nitric (I don’t know if they carry it, I’d be too afraid to ask.) along with hexamine, or other suspicious items, then I doubt you have anything to worry about. (just don’t blame me if you get your door kicked down!)

Anyway, what do you all think?

-Alan

edit: He said both chemicals are "Reagent" grade. Here is a link to their site. Antec, Inc.

[Edited on 18-5-2007 by alancj]

[Edited on 18-5-2007 by alancj]
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 17-5-2007 at 23:25

Generally, buying more doesn't increase the hazmat fee until you get to very large volumes. I wouldn't be suprized if you can get a dozen liters for the same hazmat fee. Why lead nitrate? It would probably be much cheaper to buy pure lead ($2.20lb or something)and make it yourself from the nitric acid, especially if it requires a hazmat fee (which I imagine it does). Where is this by the way?

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
BCPneumatics
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-5-2007 at 06:06

Hmm, let us know how this goes, sounds like a good supplier.
Last time I bought 'pure' lead around here, it was $0.43/lb. Copper is somewhere around $1.70, so $2.20 seems very high, unless you are talking about a chemical suppler, in which case it is probably of higher quality. (Purity)
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-5-2007 at 15:24

Quote:
Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos
Generally, buying more doesn't increase the hazmat fee until you get to very large volumes. I wouldn't be suprized if you can get a dozen liters for the same hazmat fee. Why lead nitrate? It would probably be much cheaper to buy pure lead ($2.20lb or something)and make it yourself from the nitric acid, especially if it requires a hazmat fee (which I imagine it does). Where is this by the way?

I asked about the lead nitrate since that is what I need the nitric acid for, mostly. If there was no hazmat fee for it and was cheap I would just buy it instead of going to the trouble of making it. It sounds like it may need a hazmat... anyway, so you're right; buying acid and doing it yourself would be cheaper.

So I may just buy nitric acid then. Instead of dissolving lead metal like you say, I would rather use lead oxide. This company seems to have quite a bit for fire analysis, it is C.P. and cheap if you need a lot. Plus you don't waste acid on it.

He hasn't gotten back to me about the hazmat fee's yet. I edited my OP with a link to the company website...

-Alan
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 18-5-2007 at 16:24

In the USA, AFAIK, all nitric acid, regardless of concentration is hazmat material with no ORM exception.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 19-5-2007 at 06:40

$24 for 1L is a bit high, as I have seen 2.5L of ACS Nitric (68-70%) for $40. a bit of a better deal...
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 19-5-2007 at 11:28

If I was in need of it, I would proably take it at that price. I have paid varying ammounts in the past for nitric
40$ for 500mL
40$ for 1L
8$ for 2.5L
(Yes, I know I was ripped off for the first two, that was a long long time ago though)

G.i.B.
Harmless

Mood: confused but happy

[*] posted on 19-5-2007 at 12:52

In gemany I pay 10.50 euro for 1l (65% technical grade), 26 euro (65% zur analyse) and 76 euro (99.5% zur analyse). From that perspective, the price seems fine !! (euro-dollar is what, 1-1.30 ?)
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-5-2007 at 14:35

He Still hasn't gotten back to me on the amnt. of acid I can ship on one $32 hazmat fee. I probably can get more than I can afford on one hazmat, though:)

$24 isn't bad I would think, but it's pretty expensive once you ship it... unless you buy a dozen liters to amortize the cost. I don't know, I think I might just buy a bigger retort off eBay and make an electric heating mantle for it. I can get nitrates and sulfuric acid pretty cheap so that would cost less per liter once I make a few liters of it.

Currently, I've been making an impure, dilute nitric acid (30-40% ?), by reacting stoichiometric quantities of calcium nitrate and drain-cleaner-grade sulfuric acid. Cold quantities are mixed and you get a warm thin paste. Using suction filtering (using normal filter paper) I separate the volumes of calcium sulfate and get a kinda yellow acid. There is some ammonium sulfate (some fertilizer grades have ammonium nitrate in it) left in solution and some calcium sulfate also dissolves, and possibly sulfuric acid or calcium nitrate left over. So whatever I make with it needs to be purified some other way. It all gets to be a lot of work.

If only they sold nitric acid in the grocery store!

-Alan
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 19-5-2007 at 22:32

Generally, the hazmat fee is assessed per package, with normally 4 bottles of the same size being the limit in each package.

It is possible that chemicals of the same hazard and packaging group can be shipped in the same box. For example, nitric could go with sulfuric, phosphoric, acetic, etc.

Basically, whenever I order chemicals, I like to work with them as much as possible on the shipping.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
abc
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 01:58

Quote:
Originally posted by G.i.B.
In gemany I pay 10.50 euro for 1l (65% technical grade), 26 euro (65% zur analyse) and 76 euro (99.5% zur analyse). From that perspective, the price seems fine !! (euro-dollar is what, 1-1.30 ?)

GIB could you tell me (or U2U) which company in Germany sells nitric for that price?
G.i.B.
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 10:49

Sorry, with the just one post here, you do not get that info from me. Have you even looked for chem suppliers in gemany ? They are easy to find.
abc
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 11:23

Quote:
Sorry, with the just one post here, you do not get that info from me. Have you even looked for chem suppliers in gemany ? They are easy to find.

I guess with just 11 posts you are telling us how you think people like you should be treated
G.i.B.
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 11:28

Absolutely. But I am not asking for suppliers am I ?

I have been active on a dutch chemistry forum (257 posts), so I somewhat know how this works. You have to put in some time on a forum before you can ask a question like this.

[Edited on 22-5-2007 by G.i.B.]
abc
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 11:46

Quote:
Absolutely. But I am not asking for suppliers am I ?

I have been active on a dutch chemistry forum (257 posts), so I somewhat know how this works. You have to put in some time on a forum before you can ask a question like this.

[Edited on 22-5-2007 by G.i.B.]

I do not agree that with that. If you want to live that way good, enjoy bad treatment. Because thats all it is. The info can be found in 5 minutes (their HNO3 is much cheaper than $24/l). http://www.fiebig-lehrmittel.de/index.php?showcategoryid=49&...
G.i.B.
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 11:53

Nothing to do with bad treatment, everything to do with protecting supply lines.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 13:52

Here where I live thats outrageous expensive,

Irgendwas is ja immer
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 16:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Organikum
Here where I live thats outrageous expensive,

You mean the $24/L that I mentioned or the supplier abc gave a link for? Where you live are companies deathly afraid of selling scientific supplies to individuals? I think that fact inflates the price for hobbyists.

[Edited on 22-5-2007 by alancj]
abc
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2007 at 20:34

Can someone help me with a supplier of potassium iodide (Kaliujodid) in Germany thanks
oxybate
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2007 at 17:19

I'm almost *certain* I remember reading that Antec had been involved in some Fed operation. Someone do a search in the newsgroups or something. Though I never read the Hive much at all, maybe that's where I learned of this? I heard there may be archives of the Hive available. Someone should check those too.
oxybate
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2007 at 17:44

Here:

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=3105&p...

There's definitely something up with that place. Stay away.
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-5-2007 at 23:31

Quote:
Originally posted by oxybate
Here:

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=3105&p...

Maybe I'm too trusting or naive, but I didn't see anything very convincing from those links. It all seems to have sprouted from some guys post on alt.drugs; "Customers of Antec Chemical should bee aware that the FBI is
investigating that company."

If that was true then, and still is, then what would be the effect of doing business with them? If a person bought a few liters of 70% Nitric acid (a perfectly legal, common chemical) from them, should I expect the FBI to start a file on me? Should I assume they'll start to track down where I live, find all my posts on different forums, dig up every email I’ve ever sent that is stored some NSA server... find out what I have bought online and try and figure out a way to put me jail for doing nothing? How about for just asking about it by email like I did? Honestly, I would hope the "feds" would have bigger fish to fry.

If, on the other hand, I bought 20 lbs of iodine crystals, RP, and large amounts of other obvious drug precursors, then I would expect to have my door kicked down (and it should be!)

I really would like to see some real good information on just how big "big brother" really is. Reading all the speculation and rumors and such on the internet is enough to make me paranoid, but not convinced.

-Alan
oxybate
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 16:38

Alan,

I'm surprised you don't see anything "convincing" from those links: (1) A website my kid brother could outdo, (2) a self-described speciality regarding "lithium compounds" labelled on the home page, and (3) about every watched chemical known doesn't do it for you? I'm not sure what leads you to think that the war on drugs is an overblown scare tactic, but from my experiences, the only thing overblown is the level to which LE will go if they decide to go after you. On some level, you are right- there isn't much consistency or pervasive control that appears to be going on, but *if* you are targeted, the amount of effort that goes into f*cking your life up is truly impressive indeed.

Perhaps, you'd like to play the numbers - in fact, I think we all do. That given, you really want to try your luck at a place that specializes in "lithium" compounds in this meth-lab crazy society?

Big brother may not be as big as they say, but its as virulent, malicious and dastardly - that's for sure.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 17:33

Well they also sell many other chemicals, without nefarious purposes. Also, I do not think a company needs a fancy webpage to be legit. Some people care more about substance than flash. I ordered from one such company at one point. Then the RCMP raids them 1(2?) years ago. I am still free. Kinda nervous though, despite only purchasing simple, innocous compounds, can never trust the igorance of those who don't know chemistry.

But what do I know, until this thread I only knew of one drug that used lithium, the stuff for bipolar disorder.

Still not a site I would likely order from.

[Edited on 29-5-2007 by The_Davster]

alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 17:59

Quote:
Originally posted by oxybate
Alan,

I'm surprised you don't see anything "convincing" from those links: (1) A website my kid brother could outdo, (2) a self-described speciality regarding "lithium compounds" labelled on the home page, and (3) about every watched chemical known doesn't do it for you?

(1) Just because the site is simple means little to me. Am I to assume that LE are not able to do good web-programming?
(2) Are lithium compounds useful for drugs or something????
(3) So? There are a lot of watched chemicals... and any good chemical supplier would carry them along with everything else you'd expect.

Now, how the HELL to you find the fact that some random person posted ONE SENTENCE on usenet,
Quote:
"Customers of Antec Chemical should bee aware that the FBI is
investigating that company."
to be convincing empirical evidence that PROVES the website is just a LE setup like you seem to think? Some more people talking about it a couple years latter, with nothing to back it up doesn't convince me to the least.

Quote:

Really? Definitely? How do you base that conclusion on the rumor spreading in those links?

Maybe you are right… maybe not. But, again, I don’t have any reason to conclude that they are a complete setup based on what you’ve shown me.

-Alan
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top