Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Precipitating Aluminum from Sodium Aluminate
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 21-7-2018 at 21:46
Precipitating Aluminum from Sodium Aluminate

I need to do make some aluminum powder for thermite, but would like to do it chemically. My ball mill is complete trash and sanding down aluminum is a waste of my time, and where I live I can't buy it due to shipping. I used to know how but have forgotten how to precipitate aluminum powder in a reaction. Would I start with sodium aluminate from dissolving aluminum in sodium hydroxide? If so, how would I proceed to turn the sodium aluminate to aluminum? If there is another way I would love to hear.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2018 at 22:08

That's a tough one. If there's an easy way to make aluminum powder chemically, I think a lot of people would like to know about it. If only it were as easy as electrolysis of aluminum sulfate in acetone....

Abromination
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2018 at 23:54

Thank you. I feel like a complete idiot asking this, but what kind of electrodes for the cathode and anode?

Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
--------------
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2018 at 00:11

I really don't know... graphite maybe? There are a few commercial electroplating solutions for coating objects with aluminum. None of the solutions contain water.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-7-2018 at 00:45

Aint gonna happen.

You need this table of standard reduction potentials. Two important lines are made bold: those related to H2gas and O2 gas from water. Between these two lines are all the reactions that can be done in aqueous solution. Al is well out of that range. Attempting to reduce Al in solution will only result in reduction of water to H2. There is a reason why aluminium reduction takes place at nearly 1000C with Al2O3 dissolved in molten cryolite and no water in sight.

Now, to be fair, the table is for standard conditions. You can obtain a bit of wiggle room by adjusting the concentration, playing with the pH and temperature and applying overpotential. But not enough wiggle room to give you Al powder. Time to get out the angle grinder.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2018 at 01:00

Oh well. Back to hammer brittling and crappy ball mill for me. :(

--------------
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 22-7-2018 at 02:29

Dont touch that ball mill
Aluminum can be reduced look up the ffc cambridge process all you need is calcium chloride molten and add aluminum hydroxide as a paste apply to graphite electrode then bake it then you have aluminum oxide with a propane torch melt the calcium chloride with the electrodes in the cathode contains the aluminum oxide to be reduced by the calcium it will produce carbon dioxide due to the aluminum oxide the oxygen is caried to the anode and the oxygen reacts with carbon rods
As itvis being produced

660.3°C melting point of aluminum
772°C melting point of calcium chloride
842°C melting point of calcium metal

Aluminum powder is produced just break up the clumps

[Edited on 22-7-2018 by symboom]

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 22-7-2018 at 06:05

Is aluminum oxide soluble in molten calcium chloride? You'd think they'd use that instead of the more expensive and difficult-to-work with cryolite for the Hall process if it was.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 22-7-2018 at 07:08

The FFC Process, developed by Metalysis, is an important new technology for producing tantalum, titanium and other metals from the oxide. The FFC Process works for a vast range of metals, alloys and carbides with significant economic and environmental benefits over existing processes.

Its probally patented from https://www.metalysis.com
I cant wait for titanium prices to drop
They used to have a page of the elements and all the metals that can be produced it only possible because the calcium metal desolves in the molten salt and reduces oxides
I have been wanting to try this out my dc welder should work i have to get it working again. The hardest part of the process would have to be getting the oxide stuck to the graphite so it can be reduced by the calcium that is formed sience aluminum oxide is non conductive

Note
TiO2 is electrically insulating with an extremely high resistivity above 108 cm, but the suboxidized TiO2 with an excess of titanium is an n type semiconductor with unique properties
Simular to sodium suboxide

Here is what is going on chemically

CaCl2 + Al2O3 +CaCl2 + electricity
Calcium metal + Al2O3
Calcium oxide + Al metal + O2 at anode
CaCl2 + CaO + electricity yields calcium metal

A set up of this would be a great idea for prepublication

[Edited on 22-7-2018 by symboom]

Go To Top