Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any feedback on trinitylabsupply.com?
oxybate
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 18:31
Any feedback on trinitylabsupply.com?

They sell a bunch of chemicals on Ebay.

Do tell...
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 19:09

Their prices don't look that great. But there is something even more worrisome. They have a picture of a "lab gal" looking at a flask of blue colored water (see below). This is the same picture used on the "sciencelab.com > chemicals" website. If you want to read our feelings on "sciencelab.com" see:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8270&a...

[Edited on by Magpie]

lab gal.jpg - 6kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-5-2007 at 21:04

I have seen many companies use the same images. Take, for example, jameco has a female operator pictured on their site, and in the catalogue, and I've noticed the same on another unrelated site too. So they could just be "stock" images for people too lazy to find or make their own. But who know...
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 26-5-2007 at 16:02

More of a ripped image than a stock image. A stock image is one sold commercially by a photo agency like Magnum while a ripped image is one that one company produces and places on the web or in their print catalog and which is then stolen digitally and put to unauthorized use elsewhere. A common, near ubiquitous form of intellectual property theft.

However in the instance of two companies doing identical business (repacking and online selling of chemicals at inflated prices) it IS suspicious.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 28-2-2008 at 22:01

I noticed that TrinityLabSupply sells large quantities of nitromethane and ammonium nitrate. They state SPECIFICALLY that residential orders are OKAY.

This just seems too good to be true and almost suspicious. At first I thought, "Wow, finally I can get some nitromethane, sodium nitrite, ammonium nitrate in medium quantities and various other 'hard to find' chemicals for the home chemist" but then it hit me. What would happen if I ordered nitromethane and NH4NO3 together (especially from the same place). That HAS to look suspicious. I don't even like energetics and, of course, I don't intend to use them for those purposes but I'm still worried of being persecuted for simply buying stuff like that. Has anyone else had experience with this company? I am weary.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-2-2008 at 04:55

I think you mean wary. Meaning, alarmed, suspicious, on your guard.

You may in addition be weary, meaning tired, needing a rest.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-2-2008 at 05:53

Quote:
Originally posted by oxybate
They sell a bunch of chemicals on Ebay.

Do tell...

I have watched the since they started. It is a individual in San Antonio that started selling Nitric Acid on ebay. He was told to stop and he started selling a Nitric Acid Manufacture kit (Just enough for 500ml). He then started to sell other items as his sales picked up and he could afford to create an inventory.

It isn't a front - but he will eventually be shut down.

Joe
Drunkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: somewhat pissed.

[*] posted on 29-2-2008 at 15:33

Nice find, except im not in USA/Canada and therefore it is of no use to me.

He's an intelligent type of guy to be doing this.

It makes sense to make some money on the side instead of always being the end user.

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 29-2-2008 at 20:15

I became aware of this supplier a while ago, and like Magpie I was worried when I saw that picture, however on the 'legit' argument, is that they are apparently a sponsor of powerlabs.org. If one goes to the powerlabs website, this is made mention of on the homepage.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 29-2-2008 at 20:31

That's the way chemical resalers get started. They find a few items that they can good prices on, sell a bunch of kids chemistry set type stuff and hope to develop markets among the amatuer experiments that don't want to set up companies. Nothing wrong with ScienceLab that I could tell except their atrocious bookkeeping and willingness to take orders on non-stock items.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-2-2008 at 22:40

Quote:
I think you mean wary. Meaning, alarmed, suspicious, on your guard.

You may in addition be weary, meaning tired, needing a rest.

Yes, that's what I meant and I am indeed weary because I am forced to be wary.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 04:41

is nitromethane hard to get were you are. I always just called around hobby stores and asked
if the had the chems to mix up your own fuel for a petrol car. didont even have to ask for them
by name. one will some were every were has remote control cars. tell them its for your brother
or something and that he likes to play with the mix as he races. its a bday present.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

Drunkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: somewhat pissed.

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 06:54

In the UK atm, there is alot of iodine being sold on ebay by alot of different people. One must presume that following the closure of www.kno3.com there is/was an un-met demand for chemicals useful to the synthesis of methamphetamine, as well as homebake explosives for small-scale jihadist terrorists loyal to Allah. Believe it or not, I also saw red phosphorus for sale recently, although this was a one off.

Theres definately a market out there to sell chemicals. Having a masters in chemistry, im a bit over qualified to just be a salesman. However, just because I am well qualified, it doesnt detract from the fact that I need money just as much as the next man, and jobs arent always as forthcoming as careers advisors will lead you to believe when you are an undergraduate focusing all your attention on passing you exams and completing your lab practicals/experiments.

LoKi
Harmless

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 5-3-2008 at 17:37

I've ordered from them via ebay numerous times (maybe from their site, can't remember) and have never had a problem. they are expensive though. I've tried to get them to discount shipping/handling on multi-item orders with no success.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2008 at 20:02

I have never encoutered nitromethane locally. I've never really looked but I doubt seriously it is sold pure around here any more than NH4NO3 is (only in cold packs). People in the US are so dumb they probably mistake it for nitroethane and think it's a drug precursor.

I have even been to several agricultural supply stores and still haven't encoutered any stand-alone NH4NO3. They probably wouldn't sell it to me any way as that would look extremely suspicious for a "city slicker" to come in and buy it.

[Edited on 5-3-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

LoKi
Harmless

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 08:12

nitromethane can be condensed with substituted benzaldehydes then reduced to make phenethylamines, many of which are sched. 1 cont. substances, so it is a precursor

\"They who can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 19:43

No, not as far as the DEA is concerned. They pay attention to nitroETHANE. Not to nitroMETHANE.

Some substituted phenethylamines are indeed Sch 1, but 2-phenethylamine itself is not, and neither is 1-phenethylamine. By your logic they are also "precursors" but they are not so regarded by DEA.

If you want to make your own precursor list feel free to do so, but let's not pretend that it has anything to do with what is actually watched, regulated or monitored.

Nitromethane MIGHT be on the DHS list but if it is, it is there for reasons unrelated to drugs.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 22:10

Nitromethane is used as a sensitizer for ammonium nitrate and, apparently, is an extremely powerful explosive needing only a blasting cap to detonate.

Since it's what they say Timothy McVeigh and friends used for the OKC bombing I would suspect it is monitered to some degree. That's why I was appalled that it was being sold (in bulk to "residential customers") along with NH4NO3 by the same supplier. I am awfully suspicious.

I suspect that it is on some DHS list (if only because of it's high profile) but I'm not sure.

shadow
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 18:36

I bought a 55 gal. drum of nitromethane in 1995 for $1000, at a NHRA drag race for my freinds and my model aircraft.
I simply called the supplier and arranged to pick it up.
I still have a couple gallons, however I saw that it seems relatively easy to make in the lab.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 21:29

Was this on or before April 19th, 1995?

shadow
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 16:11

My guess it was the second week of February in 1995.
What does April 19th represent?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 16:27

Apparently, whoever set up the Oklahoma City Bombing (April 19th, 1995) used ammonium nitrate/nitromethane as the explosive material on that date. Something tells me it would have been harder to buy shortly after and even now.

I remember the date vividly as I had family in OKC who were affected by it.

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 17:38

Yeah, you should be able to tell. I have my birthday on this site I believe. Why?

smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 19:36

If you hang around a drag strip you can get nitromethane. I know someone who obtained a gallon of it last year. In fact, he went to the supplier, expecting to be able to buy a 1 gallon container of nitromethane; they told him you need to bring your own jerry can. He said he didn't have one; they told him to go across the street to a convenience store, get a gallon water container, pour the water out and come back.

Its not that regulated...

OH yeah it was a PETE bottle....I saw it 2 weeks later....it looked like a water balloon about to pop.

P.S. I absolutely assure you this is not a story from my life with me talking in the 3rd person.

Go To Top