Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: United Glass Tech's quality controls going to hell in a handbasket...
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 27-5-2007 at 08:34
United Glass Tech's quality controls going to hell in a handbasket...

Yeah I know, I'm doing another bitch and moan post. But ya know what, I shouldn't have to put up with it. And more importantly, it makes me feel better to rant some.

I've purchased several pieces of glassware from UGT lately, and each one of them has a flaw. A vacuum trap had a stress fracture on one of the hose barbs and an inlet adapter had a chip on the joint.

It seems their quality controls have gone to heck in a handbasket lately... at least they have good customer service and offered to repay any shipping costs expended. It just sucks having to wait a week to get your stuff, then turn around and send it off for repairs, wait another week for it to be delivered and then wait some more for it to be returned.

I may start ordering from Wilmad-Labglass in the future.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
conducter
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2007 at 09:09

we are allowed to post sources on here? hmm

anyways, i would have to disagree with you evil, i ordered a disillation kit a while back 24/40 ground glass joints. Everything arrived beautiful and unflawed. However that was a few months back.

i recently got another kit from someplace else that is Pyrex glass that came in a suitcase with Corning Organic Chemistry imprinted. It is the best glass ive had to date.
Sparklehorse
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 11:32

Apologies in advance for the thread necromancy, but this seemed like the right spot to put this.

Just had a strange experience with UGT...I ordered a 400 mL gas bubbler from them in January of this year. Weeks and weeks went by of not hearing anything from them or getting a tracking number. I sent a few emails which were not responded to and finally called them. They said they were out of stock and that their production facility had to custom make this piece. Ok fine. Another month went by without hearing anything, I reached out again. They said the production facility made the item incorrectly, they made one with a fine frit as opposed to a coarse frit like I ordered. Ok I will wait. Few more weeks pass with not hearing anything so I reach out again. They said the production facility was having issues with the item cracking each time they made it. They said they would try one more time the following week and issue a refund if they still could not make it. That brings us to today, when I finally got my refund.

I'm not sure how to feel because up until now I've been very pleased with UGT and their quality.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 11:35

I haven't ordered from them in a very long time, but yeah, they were screwing up orders 10 years ago too.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 00:13

I ordered a 1L RBF from them about a year ago, and it had bubbles...
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 01:24

'Not complaining, though the fritted funnel I got was Wilmad!

Go To Top