Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What do you guys think?
conducter
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 07:55
What do you guys think?

This is my lab equipment ive acquired so far. Along with my Fischer hotplate/stirrer.

Here is a picture of the case that holds some of my glassware all of which are 24/40 ground glass...

This is what you see when you first open the case, mostly adapters...

This is the 2nd layer, which has a 500ml rbf, 250ml rbf, 100ml rbf, addition funnel, liebig condenser, distillation adapter, and thermometer adapters...

Here is a picture of all of the glassware laid out, with my seperatory funnel, and stand/clamp, with my 2L 24/40 flat bottom flask on my hotplate stirrer.

Here is a pic of the glassware setup ready for distillation...

And finally here is a closeup of my best piece of equipment, my Fischer hotplate/stirrer, heats to over 400C and stirs like a champion!

Now this isnt the best lab ever, but im proud as its mine. I still am hoping to get another stir bar i have a 2 1/2 inch one but i want a 1 inch one. And i also want a 1000ml flat bottom flask, and a new thermometer. Maybe a few more stands and clamps too.

:)
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 18:23

And how much did you pay for all this and where did you get it from. I'd burn my pants off if I had anything approaching that.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 19:29

Those kits are designed for use in organic teaching labs, and simplify the logistics of supplying the students (usually chem majors at sophomore and junior levels - 2nd and 3rd year undergraduates. The lab practical course is designed to be done on that equipment, at the bench or in the hood as appropriate. You did well IMO to get the 24/40 stuff as the trend these days in the teaching labs is to drop down to semimicro or microscale, like 14/20 joints, whereas with 24/40 you can add larger flasks, better distillation columns and still heads, and so on as needed and you can do prep scale 1-mol or multimolar work easily.

Get yourself some Keck clamps for 24/40 and some Teflon joint sleeves (so you can forget about grease for the jpints) you you will have an easier time of it. Next up you will need a vacuum system and eventually you may want to invest in a second hand rotavap with a water bath (forget anything but Buchi).
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 00:05

Congrats, you have just taken the first step into the never ending quest for better laboratory equipment.

Sauron is right, you need those teflon sleeves @ http://www.sciencegear.com/prices-labware.htm#sleeves buy at least 2-3 packs, you'll need them... and don't even think about putting your glassware together dry... those joints can and will sieze up and its likely you'll never get them apart again! And vacuum grease is an extreme PITA to get off.

Also, chunk that 2000ml Bomex flask in the garbage cause thats where it belongs. Get some Alcanox to clean up your flasks. Get a proper distillation reciever adapter... that straight one don't work too good for what your trying to do with it.

And thats just for starters...soon you will be plunking all sorts of cash down to upgrade your shiznit.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 15:40

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
Also, chunk that 2000ml Bomex flask in the garbage cause thats where it belongs.

I disagree w/ that part. It should work just fine as long as you don't go hitting it with a naked torch flame. Of course if he really decides he doesn't want that flask, he can always give it to me :-D

Go To Top