Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Temperature problems
Surrealist
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-7-2018 at 12:52
Temperature problems

Im not sure where to post this. If I’m in the wrong section don’t hesitate to criticize :)

I have a bit of a practical problem on my hands-its hot outside. I don’t have the budget for a fune hood, so, for obvious safety reasons, I work on amateur chemistry outside. 35, even 40 celcius is common to see all day in the summer. This presents some challenges: reagents like diethyl ether and ethyl bromide boil. When a procedure calls for room temperature, I need to use a cold water bath. Adding to this that chemistry is hours of hard work at a time-35+ celsius temperatures with safety equipment on makes for a tough hobby. Misters provide some relief, but have many drawbacks. On one occasion, some Grignard purity 1,4 dioxane absorbed water from the humidity in the air (from the misters) and decimated my yields in said reaction. The magnesium hydroxide precipitate made it obvious what had happened. This is really the only major blockade for me to perform more experiments.
Thank you for the help
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2018 at 15:03

You could sleep early evening and wake early morning,
or do different experiments whilst waiting for winter :P
Surrealist
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-7-2018 at 17:20

There are a lot of times where I have to work in those conditions simply due to a busy schedule. What is your advice on things like less heat-trapping safety equipment? Maybe shorter sleeves and a disposable labcoat?I think that would be my best bet on my budget.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 23-7-2018 at 18:32

A cooling vest similar to this might help: https://www.glaciertek.com/, but it's just an idea. It looks like several companies make them, or you can make one yourself if you're handy. Alternately, maybe you could get a small window unit and cordon off a work space with plastic sheeting or something, just as a temporary measure.

I once worked on an engine when it was about 50 degrees in the garage. Most of my time was spent in front of a very big fan, spraying myself down with water. I could put down the water bottle and work for about 30 seconds, then all the water would evaporate and I'd have to pick up the spray bottle again. That was a very slow and miserable day.

Go To Top