Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unusual request
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-7-2018 at 12:16
Unusual request

Dear SM Members,

If you followed my latest posts in the Beginner section then you know what I'm doing in these days in my free time. :-)
Yes, I'm repeatedly decarboxylating L-proline to get pyrrolidine.

I do this in small batches in order to gain more thorough insight of the process. Each run I try to use standardized parameters and change only one thing: the catalyst.

So far I tested four different compounds, synthesized the fifth one, have all the reagents and a recipe for the preparation of the sixth candidate.

If I remember well I have enough proline for 8 or 9 batches. So there is still room for at least two other catalysts to try.

I would like to try acetophenone and benzophenone as catalyst number 7 and 8 - but I don't have these in my inventory. :-)

I had this strange thought what if I requested a sample of these compounds on the forum? I really don't need much because the standardized scale for the catalysts is 10 mmol! It means that 2 or 3 grams at most would be enough.

If you have any of these compounds in your lab (possibly gathering dust for years) and feel that what I do might be useful/interesting for others too then you may help my project go further with a little gift! :-)

I know it's a bit awkward to nag you with this but I think this is the best route for getting such small ammounts of things.

I will compile a detailed report after I finished with my sixth catalysator anyway but with your help I could include two more in the report!

Please don't reply to this posting, use U2U to discuss the details!

Go To Top