Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Catalytic hydrogenation - preparation of hydrogen in situ
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quarantined

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 04:05

@Herr Haber, at first you woudn't buy from me as a person, but with a legalized and registered company. Second, if you buy, you wouldn't do me a favor, my company would do a favor for you, cause I'm organizing myself to sell chemicals in my the domestic market and sell to SM members with a low price would be a bonus to the members, just to force a healthy competition with mario. At really I don't need to do so to push my business.

By the way, I never badmouthed of him in this space, I'm just complain about the extremely high prices he is praticising now to sell chemicals. He is a good person in my oppinion, but at the beggining, when I bought with him twice, his prices were more acessible and he accepted international credit cards. Nowadays he just accept cash and his prices are completely out of reality. I think a competition would be good to everyone here.

About pick up a fight with two SM members, wasn't me that began the rudeness. Come on and read the posts the right way. But I'm not a clown to read insults and stay quiet. I have personality.

Finally, don't mix up business with friendship. Nobody is obliged to be a friend of mine here. Discussions about different points of view is very normal at a scientific forum. What can not happen is the discussion descend to the aggression. For this there are the moderators.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 04:06

Here are some follow up pics to the Nickel on Carbon catalyst that I am working on. I haven't decomposed the oxalate yet. The charcoal used to be completely black, but now as you can see it has a grey/bluish hue to it.

IMG_0197.jpg - 2.1MB

IMG_0198.jpg - 1.4MB

IMG_0199.jpg - 1.9MB

IMG_0200.jpg - 2.9MB

[Edited on 1-8-2018 by Loptr]

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
FloridaAlchemist
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 05:53

A champagne bottle might work for slightly higher pressure and temperature hydrogenation reactions.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 05:59

Quote: Originally posted by FloridaAlchemist  
A champagne bottle might work for slightly higher pressure and temperature hydrogenation reactions.

Check out this attachment by Corrosive Joseph. It looks very interesting. I have a pressure bottle already, but the cap is solid.

Attachment: Simple and Inexpensive Alternative to a Medium Pressure Hydrogenation Shaker Type Apparatus.pdf (209kB)
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/files.php?pid=526657&...

From here: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=86...

largenumbergoeshere
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 06:04

Just popping by. Do you mind checking your link Loptr - it's not working for me.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 06:07

Quote: Originally posted by largenumbergoeshere  
Just popping by. Do you mind checking your link Loptr - it's not working for me.

The link works for me. I added another link to the actual post I am talking about. Check that one out.

Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 07:12

Just posting a study telling about the hazards of pressurized hydrogen laboratory apparatus and the common kind of apparatus to do that, before any SM member here could injury yourself because no one advice them about the risks:

Attachment: hazards associated with homemade hydrogenation apparatus.PDF (2.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 384 times
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 08:22

Quote: Originally posted by Chemi Pharma  
Just posting a study telling about the hazards of pressurized hydrogen laboratory apparatus and the common kind of apparatus to do that, before any SM member here could injury yourself because no one advice them about the risks:

Definitely this. Anytime hydrogen is involved there is always the risk of fire, and particularly more so if using a catalyst that has adsorbed hydrogen gas.

You know the saying: there are old chemists, and there are bold chemists, but not a lot of old bold chemists.

:D

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 16:38

Pd on carbon is sometimes made by coating the carbon with PdCl2 and then reducing in situ, so not hard to make. If you use formic acid or sodium formate as a reducing agent, that will generate H2 on the Pd surface, in a "transfer hydrogenation". Just google it for more info. There are several other chemicals that work. Hydrazine is also good for that, works well with nickel catalysts. You can theoretically reuse Pd/C, but need to keep it moist to avoid fires, so store it wet after recovering it, and then just filter and wash with ethanol to remove the water. Good luck.
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 22:26

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
If you use formic acid or sodium formate as a reducing agent, that will generate H2 on the surface, in a "transfer hydrogenation".

Would this work using a Nickel(II) salt to produce Nickel(0).........?

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 05:51

Ops! sorry, wrong post!

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by Chemi Pharma]
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  
Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
If you use formic acid or sodium formate as a reducing agent, that will generate H2 on the surface, in a "transfer hydrogenation".

Would this work using a Nickel(II) salt to produce Nickel(0).........?

/CJ

Nickel (II) formate is thermally decomposed to produce finely divided Nickel(0) metal that can be used as a catalyst. This is also on my todo list. It's just that I felt nickel (ii) oxalate would be easier to deposit onto/inside of the activated carbon since it precipitated.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top