Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: how can I recreate the smell of a fart?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 15-6-2007 at 20:41

Quote:
Originally posted by whombat
thank you to all! I REALLY appreciate it. Look for mention of this website and all of your help when I launch my product. You will know it when you see it.

Don't you mean, "you'll know it when you smell it"? :D

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 15-6-2007 at 22:06

This thread stinks! Amazing how it hangs around....

Interesting how such an apparently trivial subject can gather so many responses. But chemistry involves everything.

not_important, WRT indoles:- the odor of certain flowers are indole based. Personally I dislike them, but most do not. Honeysuckle, gardenia, orange blossom (and mock orange too), jasmine, are a few, (violets I believe also).

My favorite pipe tobacco for blending, Perique (from Louisiana) also has a considerable content of indole. If you sniff it directly, it stinks! But permeating through a polyethylene bag, it smells sweetly of violets. And smoked, it is heavenly...

Whombat, good luck with your invention. Seems there's money even in mephitic odors. But hell, there is in Rap music too so an old fart like me shouldn't be surprised.

Regards,

DerAlte.
squizzy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2007 at 03:59
eude de human

It would be affected by what you eat also.
But instead of recreating it why not try isolating the natural aromas from real crap.

There are real processes used in wine making to remove odourants from wine then remove the alcohol and the odourants are then replaced in the low alcohol wine.
This makes it a far more palatable product. In your case theres a surfeit of the natural product. Remove the odour from that and concentrate it.
Perhaps simply entraining it in a solvent or it may be necessary to use low temperature gas condensation techniques to include aromas of higher boiling point.
You might need to blend it to get the morning after a curry experience
Though for my 2c worth seems like a useless product that wastes resources for a trivial humour value Isnt there something useful you could market its not as if there are real problems we need to solve instead of adding to our problems

You asked for it
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 26-6-2007 at 04:08

Incidentally butanoic acid smells a lot (really a lot!) like manure. Let a potato rot under water in a sealed container and you can pick up quite a hint of butanoic acid.

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top