Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is an automatic transfer pipette useful - which one ?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 31-7-2018 at 03:01
Is an automatic transfer pipette useful - which one ?

I have un-calibrated disposable 1ml and 2ml plastic pipettes which I find so useful that I buy by the 100's and re-order before I finish existing stock.

I have a 10ml roughly calibrated borosilicate pipette with rubber bulb, also very useful.

Occasionally I use a 2 or 10 ml borosilicate syringe for transfers.

For accurate measurements I use burettes or weight
(or volumetric flasks of 10, 25, 50, 250 or 500 ml capacity).

It would be convenient if I had a calibrated pipette for tasks such as taking a sample of known volume, of a liquid for analysis,
or adding a known volume of a reactant.
The actual volume is not important to me, around 1 ml seems suitable, but repeatability is critical.

Would a pipettor such as this be suitable ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100ul-500ul-Lab-Micro-Transfer-Pi...
(I suspect not long-term repeatable)

Any recommendations for a pipete or similar to transfer a reliably known volume (preferably better than +/-1%) of liquid every time,
preferably compatible with all known liquids :D
and cheap :P
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-7-2018 at 04:21

I have a couple of automatic ones, set to a precise volume and another one where I can set the volume.

Truth is... I never use them. To much of a hassle imo but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd rather weight, cylinder and use regular pipettes for the last missing ml.
Vanry
Harmless

Mood: covalent

[*] posted on 31-7-2018 at 04:48

I have no use for those in my home lab, but I use some at work, so, don't expect cheappy thing in this post :D

all the eppendorf ones are precise effective and ergonomic. Good stuff. But pretty expensive when bought brand new.

Even more expensive you got the electronic handystep from brand. But it's amazing and LARGELY worth it's price. Precise, multi-product and with a repeatability beyond the sky... For taking a precisely known volume of liquid in a quick time, I think it's the best. And you can do 100 pippeting/day without being tired :)

Hope this can help

Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 31-7-2018 at 07:47

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
:D:D:D electronic handystep :D:D:D
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

:o more than all of my other chemistry equipment costs combined :o

I've decided that I really like my existing setup.

Thanks
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-7-2018 at 17:30

If you can find a used Gilson Pipetteman (not a cheap rip off) for a good price, it might be worth it, they are very nice, and a 1ml one will measure quite accurately.

They are commonly on Ebay here in the US, likely also in Europe as well used. Lots of similar ones, like Eppendorf ones and Eppendorf Repeater, which is great for repeated actions. But glass pipettes also also quite good and can be found very cheap lately. Even the cheap 0.5, 1, and 2 ml serological ones are pretty accurate for most work. I have tested some, and they are good within 2-5% repeatability even down to 0.10 ml or so.
streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-7-2018 at 18:11

That type of pipette is the workhorse of any biology lab. Typically any bench will have four: <2ul, 2-20ul, 20-200ul and 200-1000ul. Larger sizes exist also and multi-channel pipettes are fairly common.

They sometimes struggle with particular solvents. I always have to be quick when working with chloroform or they will drip.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 16:43

The Eppendorf repeater is positive displacement, so it handles low bp solvents much better. I have used them with DCM, TFA, CHCl3, and others just fine. Best to prime them once and fill and empty them a couple of times first to get them equilibrated with solvent vapor. I have scads of these in almost every size and brand, so if people want some, I can make a deal. Pricer to ship to Europe, so likely better to find a local source. The tips often cost more than the pipettor, but can be found on Ebay in deals sometimes. I have some of them as well, but not all types and sizes.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:03

They can be very beneficial, providing the conditions are the same.
Something as benign as a different temp. can cause problems.
I could write a chapter on this, just be aware that different conditions may cause a difference with a sample size.

Go To Top