Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "Healthy" drink tasting FOUL!!
CaptainPike
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 2-8-2018 at 15:25
"Healthy" drink tasting FOUL!!

Not sure where this belongs.

I suffer from chronic urinary tract infections, UTI. To combat this, one of the things I do is drink pure [unsweetened] cranberry juice diluted with water and I addD-mannose.

Lately, with some new help and with summer weather, I have noticed a very disagreeable taste (more disagreeable than it should be :-) ). I can't place it but it seems almost like toluene – I mean a faint aftertaste/smell.

Wikipedia says this:

Quote:

A cup of standard 100% cranberry juice, amounting to 248 grams or 8 ounces, is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin C and salicylic acid. It also supplies calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and potassium minerals. Cranberry juice is classified as an acidic drink with a typical pH between 2.3 and 2.5.

Talk about tart! Okay, that's the pure stuff. I probably drink it 1/3 to 2/3 water (but maybe the new kid's done 50-50). Approximately 700 mL total liquid with 3 or 4 g D-mannose.

I'm using a polypropylene cup which has had really hot coffee in it before. There may be a lot more D-mannose is there than I have instructed – I said "a teaspoon".

Could polypropylene and this D-mannose, in some vague acidic medium, react at an elevated room temperature if given several hours? Or Maybe I am being poisoned :mad:

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 19:30

I would suspect bacteria before anything else. What is your storage like?
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 01:33

I love cranberry juice! Love the sharp/bitter taste. I wonder, like j_sum, if it isn't just going off in the heat as you haven't had the problem before. What happens if you open a fresh carton?

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 05:23

@CaptainPike: I suggest you get yourself checked out by a doctor.

There are dozens of possibilities, ranging from possibly spoiled cranberry juice to an allergic reaction.

Have you been working in the chem-lab? What was the last thing you were working on?

Get well soon. :)
DrP
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 06:28

Quote: Originally posted by MJ101  
@CaptainPike: I suggest you get yourself checked out by a doctor.

There are dozens of possibilities, ranging from possibly spoiled cranberry juice to an allergic reaction.

Have you been working in the chem-lab? What was the last thing you were working on?

Get well soon. :)

I think he is taking the cranberry juice for the infection. I think it is a common thing to take for urinary infections iirc. His problem is that the juice has started to taste bad where he used to like it (if I read his post properly). You are right though - if he hasn't been then he should check the doctors.

Quote: Originally posted by DrFake  
Do not listen to doctors and bacteria believers and allergy myth believers, nothing will happen to you from bacteria alone and allergies do not exist,

nonsense.

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by DrP]

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Split
3-8-2018 at 06:41
j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Split
3-8-2018 at 06:55
j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Split
3-8-2018 at 07:01
MJ101
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 07:31

Quote: Originally posted by DrP  

I think he is taking the cranberry juice for the infection. I think it is a common thing to take for urinary infections iirc. His problem is that the juice has started to taste bad where he used to like it (if I read his post properly). You are right though - if he hasn't been then he should check the doctors.

@DrP: You're right. Many of my bffs drink cranberry juice for UTIs.
Since I'm well past menopause (60 years young), I don't have those kinds of problems anymore. (Thank GOD!) But it's more of a prevention than a cure. The idea is to flush out the infection.

Here's an article about the effects of drinking too much cranberry juice.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/311370-health-hazards-of-...

P.S. Some of my gfs like to mix their cranberry juice with vodka. Now, I wouldn't recommend that at this time, but it does have a certain "appeal" to it. :D

In defense of the good doctor, I only drink from glass. I have a white ceramic coffee mug. And I rarely drink bottled water. There have been documented cases where BPA has caused heart attacks in women undergoing HRT. So I'm careful about that.

Here's an article from Newsweek.

https://www.newsweek.com/2015/03/13/bpa-fine-if-you-ignore-m...

Definitely something to think about.

andy1988
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 14:29

Quote: Originally posted by CaptainPike  
...drink pure [unsweetened] cranberry juice...
I have noticed a very disagreeable taste (more disagreeable than it should be :-) ). I can't place it but it seems almost like toluene – I mean a faint aftertaste/smell.

I see two possibilities, but the second possibility isn't worth discussing.

Quote: Originally posted by CaptainPike  

I'm using a polypropylene cup which has had really hot coffee in it before.

I think this is the most probable cause. I have drank fruit juice (I think it was cranberry) from a metal container which had coffee in it prior, not washed perfectly, and the juice tasted foul with lingering bad aftertaste. When I drank from a clean porcelain mug it wasn't foul anymore.

[Edited on 4-8-2018 by andy1988]
j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Split
3-8-2018 at 15:52
DrP
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 01:35

P.S. Some of my gfs like to mix their cranberry juice with vodka. Now, I wouldn't recommend that at this time, but it does have a certain "appeal" to it. :D

Sex on the Beach? :D

MJ101
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 04:01

Quote: Originally posted by DrP  

Sex on the Beach? :D

I miss those days. :)

j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Split
23-1-2019 at 17:41

Go To Top