Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Catalytic oxidation of alcohols/aldehydes with Copper VIDEO
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 24-6-2007 at 22:13
Catalytic oxidation of alcohols/aldehydes with Copper VIDEO

http://www.netexperimente.de/netexperimente/index.php?c=chem...

The reaction sustains itself. This looks good enough for small scale production; put hot copper net in a flask and insert a distillation column to collect the product.
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2007 at 01:29

That doesnt make acetaldehyde. If the copper glows, the temperature is *WAY* too high for that. Temperature for catalytic dehydrogenation of ethanol on copper catalyst is more like 260- 290°C.
In the demonstration, the ethanol is largely oxidised to CO2, otherwise there wouldnt be enough heat produced to keep the copper glowing.
Traces of acetaldehyde may be produced as side reaction, and are of course easy to identify by the smell and common tests for aldehyde.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2007 at 01:40

But doesn't the methanol oxidation over copper to form methanal go through a similar procedure at high temperatures also?
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 25-6-2007 at 01:57

Maybe the copper took on that typical pink colour after it's been heated which could be mistaken for glowing red hot?

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2007 at 21:45

Quote:
Originally posted by froot
Maybe the copper took on that typical pink colour after it's been heated which could be mistaken for glowing red hot?

Yeah I don't see it glowing; it was the metallic copper color. However I think the last oxidation of acetaldehyde to acetic acid did go to CO2 since it was catching on fire.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 26-6-2007 at 05:36

Quote:
Originally posted by garage chemist:
Temperature for catalytic dehydrogenation of ethanol on copper catalyst is more like 260- 290°C.

Is really strange.. i'm not doubt of you, but all, IIRC, of my school chem book says that the catalytic dehydrogenation occurs at ~ 400°C..(both for EtOH or MeOH)..

is that wrong?

thanks

EDIT: i know that exist a thread on this here , but i asked this just to clarify the temp.

[Edited on 26-6-2007 by Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."

Go To Top