Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Rare earth metals, mischmetal, etc
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 1-2-2010 at 17:01

Tried your, knmo4, method but i couldn't get it right, yellow precipitate formed right away. Was very quick to filter the solution, and the solution may have been too acidic (became bored of waiting for the magnets to dissolve..). Probably that's my errors right there.

But, upon standing, a white precipitate formed in the mother liq..

Added my yellowish precipitate from first filtrate and let it all settle, and decanted it to recover the precipitate.

To this I added conc. HCl so to dissolve it, turned green, proving it contained a lot of iron, diluted this with water to again get white precipitate, decanted on added water and brought to a boil to dissolve the iron salts. Decanted and repeated boil and decanting. Filtered the perfect white crystals and washed them several times with water and twice with acetone to dry them. None seemed to dissolve in the acetone.

The total yield is ~20% of theoretical, 6.37g Neodymium oxalate from 22.73g magnets.

edit:

Tested it under a regular lamp, since we do not have much daylight here quite yet, (live far north in Norway) and it was faintly pinkish in appearance.

[Edited on 2-2-2010 by bahamuth]

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 14:37

Would Fe(CN)6 be useful for precipitating iron from a mixed solution of Fe & lanthanides? I haven't googled it yet; inorganic chemistry doesn't seem to be well documented on the web.

Or would there be some other ion/complex which characteristically reacts with Fe++ or Fe+++? SCN? The oxalate precipitation of lanthanides set off this thought....
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 10:19

Are you thinking of adding potassium ferricyanide and precipitating prussian blue, filter it and have a solution with only Nd ions?

Never tried that, might work but you have to be careful not to have an acidic media when you add the ferricyanide because of possible evolution of hydrogen cyanide gas.

Also, think I've read somewhere that prussian blue is unfilterable, because of the small small particles it precipitates as.

Perhaps you must centrifuge it:)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top