Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mozzie alert
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 10-7-2007 at 05:12

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Davster
CO2 and alkali carbonates I believe. I wonder if they are actually repelled, or if their flesh seeking abilities are impaired by the hyperabundance of CO2 in the air, so they cannot target a host?

I once saw a program (or read it in a magazine - I can't remember) - That the mozzie will follow CO2 trails in the air to lead them back to the animal. (the animal will breath in O2 and emit CO2). Mozzies love me for some reason - even to the extent that my friends love it when I go fishing with them as I get bitten and they get left alone.
Dr. Beaker
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shaken, not stirred

[*] posted on 10-7-2007 at 15:04

I would recomand burning the rice fields with NAPLAM. brings back old memories of 'Nam
:D
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 03:39

Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. If it were not for the slightly inconvenient fact that Singapore has no rice fields to begin with, that just might have been a teensy bit plausible. :p

Anyway, I remember a survey done many a time ago by Union Carbide, back when 6-12 (ethohexadiol) was still a respectable repellent. Something about dark-skinned, sedentary, and perfumed people being the most attractive to mosquitoes. Yum.

Note to mods: maybe the thread title should be changed?

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 15:09

From what I've read around the subject of mosquito traps, the various attractants often work synergistically. ie CO2 alone isn't very effective, neither is acetone - but combine the two and you've got a very enticing bait. Add some sweaty socks (seriously!) and it becomes irresistable. I've also read that the baits can be somewhat species specific, as the different species of mozzies prefer different parts of the mammalian host. Some like sock sweat (ankle biters) , some like armpit sweat (neck biters).

Know thy enemy!

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
greenyppols
Hazard to Self

Mood: Who's been messin' with my moods?

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 22:43

What? Mosquitos passing on disease in Asia is new? A sudden onslaught of mosquitos? What, overnight? Seems odd one does not know how to deal with a pest in their own neighborhood of the world.

A Chemist call to arms, over a problem in existence for centuries?? Surely you jest.

odd..
tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 01:35

Not really a rice field sparkgap, a small used-to-be abandoned around 100 square metre rice field near the east area where it is mostly occupied with local fishing farms near my house. It's dengue, and the area I stay is quite remote though Singapore is quite a small place, local authorities have taken quite a while to be alerted at this isolated place.

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by tito-o-mac]:(

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by tito-o-mac]
tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 06:22

Burn it with Napalm: first sign environmental contract. next buy land. thirdly purchase 2 gallons of napalm. Next rent a C-130 and load it. Finally, purchase insurance and burn!
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 06:39

..................yes, you're having a conversation with yourself.....find the edit button as the esteemed member suggested............solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 06:46

"Sorry for not being related to the subject!"

Better not to post it then. :p All of us could use less thread-clutter.

So as not to be entirely off-topic, I want to ask any who may know as to why dimethyl carbate and butopyronoxyl were phased out as insect repellents?

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2007 at 08:51

I hope I'm not spamming this time, but you should take a good look at this patent: http://www.wikipatents.com/4164561.html
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 21:10

I could not read it on that site, even after registering an account and logging in!
cbfull
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-8-2007 at 13:22

One thing that I have found useful indoors is an outdoor electric bug zapper.

Those things have proven themselves pretty much worthless for insect control if you just want to go outside after dusk and not be attacked, but they are fantastic for killing the bugs that manage to get inside the house.

When I was younger and laying in my bed trying to sleep, if I heard that high pitched sound of a mosquito near my ear(I'm sure you ALL know exactly the sound I am talking about), I couldn't sleep until I found the little sucker. I went to the basement and dug out our old zapper, plugged it in, sat it on the dresser and waited. It only took a minute or two for that sucker to head towards that blue light, and then I heard a very comforting "zap" that confirmed the demise of the mosquito.

Not trying to sound goofy but I wanted to at least get the idea out there.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top