Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Transfer W P to ether
rocketman
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2018 at 09:42
Transfer W P to ether

Guys can you help? I have a pea-size amount of white Phosp. in water. I want to transfer it to ether with as little water contamination as possible. How to transfer the white P. to ether? thanks. :)
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2018 at 10:09

W P will auto-ignite in warm air (I have done it), but not cold.
I don't have a procedure but everything very cold is a good start.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 17-8-2018 at 10:20

Can you work under nitrogen? Adding a substance that will auto-ignite in warm air to a solvent whose vapours will detonate with a spark seems like a recipe for disaster.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2018 at 12:57

I have transferred WP to CS2. Here would be my method today. I suggest you first cool (~0C) Then quickly dry the WP with a filter paper and quickly transferring the WP into the CS2. The CS2 should be in a stoppered container and only unstoppered for the second or two required to drop in the pellet of WP. Make certain that any heavy fumes from previous manipulation of the SC2 have dispersed and the stock bottle is closed and not near by. Be prepared for the mild pop if ignition does occur (don’t knock the contains of SC2 over) and be ready to restopper the CS2. Use a contains with a minimum of head space or preferably purges with argon or CO2 (heaver than nitrogen and air). Preferably prepare the solution in the container it will be used in.

Obviously its important not to spill the WP solution particularly on yourself TAKE PRECUATIONS

Borosilicate glass:
Good temperature resistance and good thermal shock resistance but finite.
For normal, standard service typically 200-230°C, for short-term (minutes) service max 400°C
Maximum thermal shock resistance is 160°C
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2018 at 01:10
There is more than a little concern here.

WP in a solvent is scary because when the solvent evaporates it leaves a deposit of very active phosphorous.
Very prone to auto-ignition, on your skin or clothes or almost any non-heat-conducting material,
- near the bulk of your phosphorous-in-volatile-flammable-solvent ........

Extreme case, as a youth: Phosphorous in CS2 poured over c5g NaClO3 (weed-killer),
some random time later - an un-contained explosion that cracked a concrete slab and sounded like nearby lightning :o
(it seemed more brissant than silver acetylide which was my most powerful explosive)
Never tried that one again :D

[Edited on 18-8-2018 by Sulaiman]
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2018 at 03:57

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
WP in a solvent is scary because when the solvent evaporates it leaves a deposit of very active phosphorous.
Very prone to auto-ignition, on your skin or clothes or almost any non-heat-conducting material,
- near the bulk of your phosphorous-in-volatile-flammable-solvent ........

Extreme case, as a youth: Phosphorous in CS2 poured over c5g NaClO3 (weed-killer),
some random time later - an un-contained explosion that cracked a concrete slab and sounded like nearby lightning :o
(it seemed more brissant than silver acetylide which was my most powerful explosive)
Never tried that one again :D

[Edited on 18-8-2018 by Sulaiman]

Anyone wanting to see the effect should see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MVoE7KgcY

I remember seeing it a long time ago and being completely amazed.
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2018 at 11:05

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  

Anyone wanting to see the effect should see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MVoE7KgcY

I remember seeing it a long time ago and being completely amazed.

Nice find dh88. There was something similar demonstrated on a science programme I think on the BBC around the late sixties and it amazed me too.

We should get the slow motion guys on utube to capture it

Borosilicate glass:
Good temperature resistance and good thermal shock resistance but finite.
For normal, standard service typically 200-230°C, for short-term (minutes) service max 400°C
Maximum thermal shock resistance is 160°C

Go To Top