Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: one of our own BUSTED for a firework!
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 22-7-2007 at 10:13
one of our own BUSTED for a firework!

Richard, a good mate of mine and a member here has been arrested along with his Wife: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/dewsbury-news?articlei...
and: http://www.spenboroughguardian.co.uk/news?articleid=3026334

you`ll note the Headline!

he`de made a firework! nothing more nothing less.

this country`s gone fucking MENTAL! :mad:

[Edited on 22-7-2007 by YT2095]

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Waffles
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-7-2007 at 10:54

yeah, the word 'bomb' seems just a tad reactive (no pun intended). but what can you expect from the media, eh?

here's your lesson of the day: trust no one. not your government, not your neighbors, not your friends. i have those words tattooed on the inside of my wrist so i see them several dozen times every day

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 22-7-2007 at 13:16
Ridiculous !

YT2095, my country, the U.S., went mental a long time ago about fireworks. The CPSC
is working feverishly to outlaw all consumer fireworks and hobby pyrotechnics. That
won't stop most of us. I'm just more careful about where I do my "testing". On certain
holidays we can get away with the illegal fireworks because there's so many people
using them. The cops don't even bother.

Your friends' mistake was leaving it where it was visible to the snitching meter reader.
NOSY FUCKERS ! :mad::mad::mad:

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 22-7-2007 at 13:20

Yes it seems that the UK police are into major overreaction mode. I am sorry to hear that the people arrested are our own and personal friends of YT2095.

The comment about the "device with wires sticking out" assumed to be a bomb is scary as I have a lot of homemade devices with wires sticking out. They have everything to do with mad science and nothing to do with bombs.

I also have a lot of PVC pipe stubs of various lengths and diameters accumulated during an attempted development of a suction jet for my hood. I think I'd better shitcan these as surely they would be assumed to be for bombs. :(

The problem of service personnel entering your private space to do repairs or take meter readings is a tough one. The meter readers march into my backyard any time they feel like it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I have to hire some repairs in my garage where my hood is located.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 00:33

I will not write what i feel here as you all know it but here is one characteristic patten i want to note.

One can see here how impression of crime can be created by police from almost everything. There are quite lot of things that are not dangerous when used as intended but if detonator is attached to them (by police of course) then they behave like dangerous bombs.

Someone calls police telling he shaw something that might be a bomb. Police runs to the place and finds something that indeed is not just bag of sawdust but CAN BE MADE to explode. Now they just need to attach detonator and all locals and journalist see and hear explosion and know that there was great danger indeed.

Considering how many policemen there are in place, and even army truck, locals and journalists are completely sure that something very serious is going on.

No matter that jury after some months finds that there was nothing dangerous. Policemen and journalist do not get blamed for their paranoid hyperactivity. Instead they are encouraged to go the same way in the future as there COULD have been true terrorist.

As this is quite a repressing thing if your house is suddenly filled with policemen and you wil not know for sure if you can prove in the court that you are not guilty - and even if you can you have to live with neighbours who are excited against you and some of your valuable property may also be destroyed.

This is example of how people can be repressed by law enforcement, bypassing common legal system and how it is actually used in common society.

[Edited on 23-7-2007 by chromium]

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

sad.gif posted on 23-7-2007 at 02:20
Exactly

This just reinforces my already reclusive inclinations. Years ago(1994) I had a nasty encounter with the fuzz all because I asked for service to my air conditioner. Learned my lesson for sure. Before the war on terror it was the war on drugs. Same old shit.

Fellow molecular manipulator
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 05:36

I don`t blame the Police in any of this, how Should they respond when Mr Bean finds a Bomb! and reports it.

I do blame the press and this "Mr Bean" gas man Numpty however.
also after chatting to him on the phone last night, it turns out is was Roman candle type firework (not even colored), and the Gas man put it ON the Gas Meter himself and then called the police.

and btw, Media Accuracy... he doesn`t even HAVE a cellar!

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 05:52

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
I don`t blame the Police in any of this, how Should they respond when Mr Bean finds a Bomb! and reports it.

They should be at least sceptical on accuracy of what that unknown Mister Bean reports to them and not make big show show from nothing.

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 06:57

Great post Chromuim.
Now how are the media going to fix this man's reputation? I feel they have an obligation to do so.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 07:16

You can see clearly how this "tattle-tailing" in Britain can be used as a weapon in and of itself! Due to logical sensitivity about weapons in the hands of terrorists, British cops bust down doors on the word of most anyone. Eventually, there will be a pervasive paranoia that will permeate the whole of society.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 07:26

I agree, and also what are they going to do for his kids?

when I got off the phone to him yesterday, they were quite confused by the whole ordeal, all computers have been taken even the kids x-box (apparently you can get online with one?) they took the landline an base untit and left him with a normal phone so they can rip the numbers off, they even took all his scrap cct boards (bits out of washing machines etc...).

and they`ve also been asking about ME!

so I`ve no idea if I`m due for another raid or not either, where they found nothing last time and will find nothing this time either, as I have Nothing to hide, not back then OR now.

it makes me sick it really does! in this Lab I`ve done Nothing other than help people with their problems, that`s what I do, I fix things and make things to help folks, from wool dyes to tailor made plant foods to a busted CD player or radio.
and I`ve never hurt any fucker in my life (nor want to).

BUT,,,, we`re easy prey!
rather than go out and bust the REAL terrorists or whatever, this scores public brownie points for a fraction of the cost :(

and it`s just plain WRONG!

Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 08:07

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
I`ve never hurt any fucker in my life (nor want to).

Unfortunately, the police nowadays don't care about that!:mad: They only concern themselves with "could" you hurt anyone. I don't think you have anything to worry about YT. Judging from what I've seen on your website, and a nice one it is by the way, you are not the terrorist/bomb maker/drug lab type.;)
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 17:12

it started when you let them take away your guns
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 19:19

And when you became afraid to speak up.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 22:53

I'm with Eclectic. It starts whenever someone caves in, and so it gains momentum.

I don't blame the police, or the snooping meter reader. If I were in his position, I probably would've given the benefit of the doubt. Still, other thoughts and paranoid temptations would be running through my mind (perhaps confront the owner, tell the police). It seems everyone wants to play hero.

Arresting people and keeping them from their children is unacceptable, especially considering it was a small firework, not a high explosive with a radio-controlled detonator! It is terrible, considering there's no malicious intent or plans for terrorism found on premise. I doubt your friend YT2095 will even get an apology for the bother, instead, it will be your friend and his family that has to deal with a bothersome blemish for years to come.

Unreasonable paranoia gets the better of us all, but there's some wisdom in "trust no one. not your government, not your neighbors, not your friends."

" They only concern themselves with "could" you hurt anyone."
Odd they think that way, but doubtless it is true. However, if that's their reasoning, then everyone should be a suspect, for all people have the capability and the capacity to hurt others, knowingly or not.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 06:19

Well in order to make a point that they are in control and 'leaving no stones unturned' in the fight against terrorism they have obviously considered an innocent person's wellbeing dispensable. That is the part that gets me, they are turning on the people they are trying to protect and the terrorists have won again.

What they can't seem to notice is the massive difference between possessing something that can 'potentially harm others' and meditating about using it to do so, much along the lines of Fleaker's point.

I don't believe they had enough evidence to justify going in sirens blazing, even if it was a terrorist hideout, they should've used intel and technology available to them to monitor activities (or lack of) and kept a low profile. This way they would've probably found further possible leads and evidence to persue and support a building case. Terrorist hideouts are generally secluded and the vacinity won't be under any threat anyway as their targets would logically be at a relatively remote location. Officers responding to a possible terrorist threat need to report to a higher power before acting. Terrorists tend to have a back-up plan to avoid apprehension to the extent of self destruction, which may have ended the existance of the responding officers. To avoid this, they should've planned the apprehension more carefully and kept it discrete. Another point is that it could be possible that the hideout may have been under survaillance already and at the point of a breakthrough, only to be spoiled by another arm of the force.

To sum it up, it is apparent to me that the law enforcement in this situation have demonstrated nothing but how disjointed and disorganised they are, and that is what's giving the terrorists more confidence and what should be making everyone else very concerned. There is no way a collaboration like this, with all the tools at their service, will ever catch the big fish, and I hope the right people read this. It smells like a public display to impress resulting in the humiliation of the country's law enforcement, YT's mate and his family.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
mrjeffy321
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 07:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Fleaker
I doubt your friend YT2095 will even get an apology for the bother, instead, it will be your friend and his family that has to deal with a bothersome blemish for years to come.

Oh, his friend getting an apology is out of the question, it is not going to happen…..if anything it is more likely that he will have to give an apology for ‘all the trouble he caused’ and the ‘potential harm he could have done’.
Not that this is right.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 07:24

if he`de have been left alone, he`de have lit this in his back garden at night with his kids and explained to them what it was and how it worked.

same way he did with the cobalt chloride paper I told him to make to sense if it`s going to rain or not.
or with the rocket cars he got his kids involved in making (I gave him his 1`st engine to use).

this guy is NOT a terrorist!
he`s an unemployed guy that worked servicing and repairing hospital X-Ray machines, but was forced to leave because of a serious back injury, so he`s Bored and wants to learn new things and pass that onto his kids.

THAT is all he was doing!

I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 14:50

This is disturbing on many levels. Most prominently, it seems that electronic hobbyists are now falling under suspicion. It is a damning indictment on modern society that a homemade object "with wires sticking out of it" is regarded as a "grim discovery". It seems that those involved didn't even consider that someone may want chemicals and electronic components for innocent reasons.

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 15:57

It don't matter what is reasons or intentions were.

He had a "bomb like" device wired up and ready to go. The police were right on to take every safety precaution they deemed necessary in disposing of the device. I mean hell, if it LOOKS like an explosive and you were in the shoes of the officer in charge of getting rid of it, by god you would TREAT it like an improvised unstable explosive device of unknown power.

The guy who had it in his house should feel damn lucky they didn't detonate it in place, pray he doesn't have to shell out thousands of dollars on an attorney to defend any criminal charges, and if he finally walks away a free man count his blessings.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 16:05

It's just that sort of bullshit abdication of our civil rights that make things like this seem acceptable to the sheeple. :mad:

You better hope you don't have any electronic "timing devices" when they come breaking down YOUR door.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 17:59
Police State

This is what truly exists in what's supposed to be a free country. It's almost as bad
here in the states. I didn't "count my blessings" when I was busted for having the audacity
to defend myself with a gun. All of my guns were stolen by the police. They were supposed
to have been returned to a family member but never were. The only thing I got was a jail
sentence and a lecture from the judge on the "evils" of owning guns ! FUCK THEM !

Oh, BTW, a friend had called the local wankers to report vandalism on his car. Upon
arrival, Deputy Dogshit took down a report and then informed my friend that the
plastic cover on his license plate was illegal because the reflection interferes with
red light cameras ! The fucking cop was more concerned about that plastic than the
damage to my friends car !

The cops around here are not friends to anybody !

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 18:33

I am disgusted. The stories told in this thread are very depressing.

YTs friends arrest, Magpie's questioning whether he should keep PVC scraps, as they could be thought to be bombs:o, Madhatters stolen property. And other stories not in this thread.
Kinda reminds me of the bumper sticker:
"when was the last time you heard anyone say 'go ahead, its a free country'?"

This is all so fucked.

evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 18:59

Quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter
This is what truly exists in what's supposed to be a free country. It's almost as bad
here in the states. I didn't "count my blessings" when I was busted for having the audacity
to defend myself with a gun. All of my guns were stolen by the police. They were supposed
to have been returned to a family member but never were. The only thing I got was a jail
sentence and a lecture from the judge on the "evils" of owning guns ! FUCK THEM !

Oh, BTW, a friend had called the local wankers to report vandalism on his car. Upon
arrival, Deputy Dogshit took down a report and then informed my friend that the
plastic cover on his license plate was illegal because the reflection interferes with
red light cameras ! The fucking cop was more concerned about that plastic than the
damage to my friends car !

The cops around here are not friends to anybody !

That is truely the way shit works in many parts of the USA.

I learned a long time ago that any run in with the law or other government agencies (whether your in the right or wrong) is likely to result in one thing... loss.

Loss in the form of property taken and destroyed, loss of money spent on attorney fees and court costs, loss of time spent getting them off your back, and most valuable of all, the potential loss of freedom.

Its a heck of lot easier for a person rant and rave about how everyones civil rights is being abdicated until the gov't decides to target that person.

Just ask anyone who has ever tangled with the government and I'd be willing to bet that most will agree it is an unwinnable fight in the long run.

[Edited on 24-7-2007 by evil_lurker]

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 25-7-2007 at 03:13

Quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter

Where do you live?

What precisely happened?

How long did you get?

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top