Author: Subject: Na dichloroisocyanurate
pbmineral
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 11:11
Na dichloroisocyanurate

Hi,
I worked one month in cleaning soils.
I saw they had some Na-dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate.
I took some but don't know what I can do with apart generating chlorine gas with HCl. I would have wanted to know more about this molecule.
I'm afraid with realeasing some poisonig HCN !

Thanks

Peter
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 13:07

It is a more or less useful water soluble oxidant, depending on what you want to oxidize. What is it in particualar that you want to know about it? I remember there are a couple of experiments described in the forum. UTFSE.
Quote:
Originally posted by pbmineral
I'm afraid with realeasing some poisonig HCN !

From where does HCN comes into this topic? What connection does it have with sodium dichloroisocyanurate?

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 17:47

The dicholroisocyanurate won't release any HCN, don't let the name fool you :) Check the structure.

It releases ClO- when dissolved in water, that's why it's used in cleaning, pools etc. often called "solid bleach" and it's replacing calcium hypochlorite in Europe.

You can make some pretty red light from it with H2O2 IIRC :) I think Woelen's (or someone esle) got a thread on that.

Trichloroisocyanuric acid is also available, it's a little more reactive and release more hypochlorite the the dichloro-
ergoamide
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-8-2007 at 20:08

And the trichloro forms chlorohydrins when reacted with alkenes which then further form the epoxide when reacted with KOH.

Go To Top