Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-8-2003 at 02:54
Al + HNO3

Al + HNO3 = ....?
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 24-8-2003 at 03:04

Oh for christ sake. Can't you really figure this out yourself?

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
EX3
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2003 at 03:25
?

wat i get
Al(NO3)3 or smting alse
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

[*] posted on 24-8-2003 at 07:38

HNO3 doesnt attack Al, at least not with any ease

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 24-8-2003 at 12:06

Highly concentrated HNO3 will not attack Al, 70% and below will.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
gritty_cryst
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2003 at 23:42

what is the explanation for that?
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 25-8-2003 at 07:45

Well gritty_cryst, that's a MUCH better question than the whole topic, so I'll reply.

As you know, HNO3 is an acid with strong oxidant properties. It will attack copper very easy, even if copper is less reactive than H. It does this by first oxidising the copper, then reacting with the oxide to form the copper nitrate.

The general idea is that if the nitric acid is concentrated enough, it'll attack the metal to form the correspondent oxide, rather than the nitrate. Of course, the oxide will be later converted to the nitrate, so you'll be left in the end with water and the nitrate salt. The process is done layer by layer until all the metal gets consumed.

BUT the Al2O3 is notorious unreactive. Very hard to fuse. The toughness is close to the diamond one (ruby). The crystaline structure is a very compact one. So, the nitric acid (if concentrated enough as Vulture said) will not be able to penetrate the Al oxide layer. In other words, the Al gets "passive".
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

thumbup.gif posted on 25-8-2003 at 08:42

wow. i never knew that :)

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 25-8-2003 at 08:50

That's not really the correct explanation.

Metals that are to the left of hydrogen in the electrochemistry row, that means they are stronger reducers than hydrogen, will evolve hydrogen gas with nitric acid, because H+ then acts as an oxidizer.

With metals less reactive than hydrogen, the nitrate ion will act as an oxidizer, being reduced to NO.

The reason Al and other reactive metals are not easily attacked by concentrated acid is because concentrated acid does not contain free H+ and because Al compounds tend to get imbedded in the metal structure. This phenomenon is also known with Iron. Except for Iron oxide ofcourse.

BTW, pure SiO2, quarz, is the second "strongest" material next to diamond.

a_bab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2003 at 11:28

Yes Vulture, you are right. But having he's level of knowledge, I tried to be as simple as possible ;)

As about the diamond, I'm sorry but your affirmation is not true at all. SiO2 hardness is a degree bigger than glass; that is only about 7 at the Mohs scale of hardness. There are lots of other compounds much harder than the diamond (end even harder, like the borazone)

Mohs scale
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 25-8-2003 at 12:14

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say SiC, which has a scale of 9,6. It scratches steel and ruby.

a_bab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2003 at 13:54

Yeah, carborundum or silicon carbide. Extremly hard, hard to fuse, innert to the most agressive chemicals... (of course, HF will do the job).
Still, borazone is the hardest, so SiC would be the third.;)
EX3
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-8-2003 at 11:28
?????????

how can i make Al(NO3)3 ?????
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 28-8-2003 at 12:00

lol... i guess dissolve Al in hNo3 and dry it. but you wont get H2O-free Al(NO3)3, it will be a hexahydrate or sumthing. If you heat it up too much , it's going to decompose, just as aluminium chloride hydrate does.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 28-8-2003 at 12:17

Try using 100% HNO3 and very pure Al powder. Then add a drop of Hg and duck for cover....

Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 28-8-2003 at 14:42

Try mixing solutions of Aluminum Sulfate and Calcium Nitrate. Theoretically the Calcium Sulfate should precipitate out of the solution, leaving you with a Aluminum Nitrate solution. Upon drying you will get a hydrated form.

If its necesary to have the anhydrous form fuse Aluminum Sulfate and Potassium Nitrate together. Crush up the product. Dissolve as much product as you can in Acetone or anhydrous alcohol. Aluminum Nitrate is quite soluble in both. As far as I can find any other products are not soluble in those solvents.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 29-8-2003 at 09:55

If your reagents aren't soluble in your solvent, the fact that your product is, is absolutely of no use, since it won't form!

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

biggrin.gif posted on 4-9-2003 at 11:53
Another idea of mine hehe

yo, as AlCl3 (anhydrous) is an extremely useful compound (esp. in org. syntheses, and for dehydration) I thought of this:

3 CuCl2 (anhydr) (or FeCl3 etc) + 2 Al --> ignition with sparkling candles/Mg ribbon --> 2 AlCl3 + 3 Cu

I dont see why this shouldnt work! Normal aluminothermic reaction! Sweet ey?

PS probably would be hard to seperate this from the Cu, but dont think it would be a problem. Will try this soon!
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 4-9-2003 at 14:42
yes

That reaction does work. It's not especially vigorous, compared to oxide-based mixtures, but it works well enough. It'll go if you put CuCl2 powder in Al foil and roll it up into a little tube. Only a few seconds of match flame exposure is needed to start the reaction. I haven't figured out how to separate pure, anhydrous AlCl3 from the reaction products, though.

Edit:
Whoops, I know how to purify it: sublimation! Unlike AlCl3, Al (s) and CuCl2 aren't very particularly volatile. Avoiding moisture exposure may be tough unless you're careful with the sublimation setup. I think Vogel may have something to say about purifying AlCl3 by sublimation.

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by Polverone]
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 4-9-2003 at 14:57
purification of AlCl3

yes, I just checked Mercks Chemdat.

AlCl3 sublimes at 181 deg C, and decomposes (into what?) at 262 deg C.

However there is a better way :P

It is soluble in various organic solvents! I.e soluble in anhydrous ethanol (I wonder tho whether it would react with it to form an alcoholate), as well as chloroform (but only 0.72g/l). There wasnt info on other solvents tho. Anyone know more?
Polverone

[*] posted on 4-9-2003 at 15:08
Is that easier?

It depends on what you have available, I suppose. For sublimation you only need enough glassware to sublime the AlCl3. For organic solvents you need completely dry liquids plus enough glassware to distill the solvent off while still protetcting the AlCl3 from air. Hmm, actually, for the really rough and cheap chemist: what about putting the CuCl2/Al reaction products in a previously oven/flame dried glass bottle with a narrow neck (like a wine vinegar bottle), sealing the bottle, heating the bottom and cooling the neck, and rapidly scraping out the sublimed material into a dry bottle with a tight seal when the sublimation is complete? "Mostly anhydrous" should be good enough for most applications anyway :)
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 4-9-2003 at 15:22

yah, I guess both methods have their merits.
I wouldnt use a wine bottle tho as it is unlikely to bear the temperature differences across the bottle if u heat the bottom and cool the top. Shit I wish I had access to my lab right now, and I would try it.
Also, do you think AlCl3 would react with EtOH (or any other alcohol) to form Al(OC2H5)3??
This would be a nice route for synthesis of a lot of very very interesting compounds! I seem to recollect that Napalms (!!) are aluminium alcoholates, so here we go!!
Polverone

[*] posted on 4-9-2003 at 16:42
that's a hard way to alcoholates

If it works, it still sounds like a lot of effort! Can't you just use a bit of Hg or an Hg salt to form an amalgam on the surface of Al, then react that with your alcohol? Of course, if you can't get Hg or its salts, that's another problem.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 4-9-2003 at 17:30

yeah, for me its hard to get Hg.. they dont have this in a biochem lab.... :(
Are u sure that the Hg trick would work however? I know it exposes atomic Al (as opposed to Al2o3 rendering the underlying Al inaccessible). But does it then react with alcohols or are u speculating? Nice idea, anyhow :)
Nick F
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2003 at 03:07
It should react.

I think Al amalgam will form alcoholates. IIRC Marvin said over at Roguesci that Mg turnings in excess anh. alcohol, with some chlorocarbon solvent to start the reaction (how's it do that?) will go to completion...
It didn't work when I tried it, however I didn't use much care at all. Mg scraped from 96% Mg, 3% Al, 1% Zn scrap were put into some meths and I added some paint stripper that I knew contained DCM. Pretty ghetto-style :D.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top