Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying Br2
Bromine
Harmless

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 11:21
Drying Br2

I have made some bromine few days ago, by distilation NaBr+MnO2+H2SO4 on 50-60°C and I did not dry it with coc. H2SO4.

How should I dry it next time, bubling trough warm H2SO4 or just shaking it with sulphuric acid and decant of H2SO4 layer?

How much water it aproximatly contains and how can I dry it now?

Sorry abuot bad english :)

[Edited on 10-9-2007 by Bromine]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 13:19

A nice way to make it dry is adding some good concentrated H2SO4 to it (for each ml of Br2 add 0.5 ml of H2SO4). Shake a little and then let it settle. Keep the Br2 under the acid. The Br2 then is very dry (the H2SO4 takes up the water) and hardly any H2SO4 dissolves in the Br2. Also store it this way. The H2SO4 forms a good protection against dense Br2-vapors. If you need some bromine, take a little pipette and suck up some bromine from below the H2SO4 layer (which will float on top of the Br2-layer).

But keep in mind, storing Br2 is a real pain. Even with this H2SO4-trick it still is a very nasty chemical to store. I personally do not keep liquid Br2 around for more than a few hours. If I make some, then I also use it almost immediately.

[Edited on 10-9-07 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Bromine
Harmless

Mood: good

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 04:20

I store bromine in a home made ampoule (test tube with melted top with soldering burner). I thik it is the easiest way to store Br2.

Go To Top