Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Red P (higher yeild method)
Slimz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 25-9-2007 at 06:42

elliptical - Of or relating to extreme economy of oral or written expression

For those of you who thought it was a gym machine.

oh.. wrong forum... :)

Johnny was a chemist’s son, but now he is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 25-9-2007 at 14:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Yes the oxychloride can be made from phosphates at high temperatures requiring a tube furnace but I would hardly call having to deal with POCl3 at 750 C convenient, and few of us have a tube furnace. (though I admit to one.)

The chlorination of phosphides is purely speculative. And phosphides also only release P vapor (and that is white P vapor) at high temperatures. These might form practical industrial processes but for the home chemist they strike me as rather remote possibilities and hazardous. More hazardous than the DEA.

Well actually Sauron I was refering to to chlorinating phophides in a chlorinated solvent. So no P vapor at all. Unfortunately, I have not tried this myself. PCl3 boils at 76C so methylene chloride which boils at 34C would suffice. Or, a high boiling solvent such as tetrachloroethane might work.

Fellow molecular manipulator
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 25-9-2007 at 17:23

True. However, if I recall from the threads concerning phosphide halogenation, this reaction, whether in gas phase or in a liquid medium, remains conjectural, i.e., no one has advanced any literature to support it.

Phosphides being toxic and pyrophoric thay are often hard to buy, hard to ship, hard to import. They are after all sources pf PH4 and diphosphine. I am not at all sure I can buy them.

Making the phosphides from phosphates is one of those tube furnace affairs.

So while I did not forget this ides or dismiss it out of hand I have back-burnered it while seeking safer and more practical alternatives.

If you have any lit., or your own experimental experience with this I' all ears and so are others I am sure.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top