Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iodine from Iodine tincture?
Adun-Swim
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 17:21
Iodine from Iodine tincture?

Ok, so I was wondering if anyone knows a good method to get iodine crystals from iodine tincture? I tried the method on Rhodium's site, and it didn't seem to work. I'm trying to have a little fun with Ammonium Hydroxide and Iodine...

do you think that the water left in the jug is MAGIC ROOM TEMPERATURE LIQUID AMMONIA? Who knows, Perhaps it is. I just know the aqua ammonia they carry around here, even the 26 baume, has no such magical fluid in it. Then again I am only around std pressure here. Perhaps some posters to this site live in denser atmospheres where ammonia IS liquid above -33c..
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 17:32

UTFSE

Use the Fucking Search Engine
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 19:52

...swim...iodine...ammonia...

hmm...

Detritus?

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
DerAlte
International Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 20:11

Seconded - Der Alte
Adun-Swim
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 20:30

Ok, I used the search engine and I didn't find a reference to this. I attempted it and used the sulfuric acid, which turned the solution red. I then added bleach, at which point the solution turned yellow instead of darker, and did not produce any precipitate. Also, I don't know what detritus is, but I'm assuming that's a user name from someone else. Someone who isn't me ;) Any help would be appreciated, any flaming would not.

do you think that the water left in the jug is MAGIC ROOM TEMPERATURE LIQUID AMMONIA? Who knows, Perhaps it is. I just know the aqua ammonia they carry around here, even the 26 baume, has no such magical fluid in it. Then again I am only around std pressure here. Perhaps some posters to this site live in denser atmospheres where ammonia IS liquid above -33c..
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 20:46

detritus:

1. Loose fragments or grains that have been worn away from rock.
a. Disintegrated or eroded matter:
b. Accumulated material; debris:

Here, a link: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/forumdisplay.php?fid=11
and another, pay particular attention to the description given for the forum named detritus (bottom of page)
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/index.php

Tiresome: the behavior exhibited by someone with searching nous as high as their meager post-count
Adun-Swim
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 20:52

I see it now, obviously. So no one could simply tell me what I might have done wrong? That's positive :P I realize what you're getting at with swim, and ammonia, and while that's possible, I wouldn't be using the RP/I method for said process. Hypothetically. I'm attempting to make a contact explosive. Regardless, it turned yellow, no precipitate. Any help, still appreciated.

[Edited on 21-9-2007 by Adun-Swim]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 21:05

The short answer is that this is regarded as a waste of time and space and consigned to the forum rubbish bin, as soon as a moderator sees it.

Isolating I2 from tincture, let what is in Rhodium stay there.

Iodine and ammonia, making NI3, is a juvenile trick, let's skip it.

Both have been long since exhausted on this forum.

Detritus asap.

Try again with a worthier topic.
Adun-Swim
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 21:13

Wow, fine, ok. It's not like I just started posting here or anything. Everyone starts out with juvenile tricks, and regardless, I didn't see a post on the search about said reaction causing a yellow solution with no precipitate. So maybe it was exhausted, but a search on "Iodine tincture" and "Iodine yellow" turned up diddly and squat on this.
EDIT: And come on, I've spelled everything correctly, not being rude, if you came onto my forums with a dumb question about programming, I'd at least try to help as long as you were polite.

[Edited on 22-9-2007 by Adun-Swim]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 21:55

No one is running you off. Try again.

BTW the rxn with bleach probably made NCl3.
Adun-Swim
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2007 at 22:08

Thank you for that at least... that's enough to figure it out from the other posts found on the search.

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 22-9-2007 at 07:16

These threads are available here, using the search feature with the superficial parameter: iodine from tincture:

I've never extracted iodine from tincture before, as it was easier to just buy some (not anymore), but then again, I never use it for anything. I would probably evaporate out as much alcohol as I could, then when its as saturated with I2 as possible, add to cold water and filter it. Then pop them in a dessicator.

It is easier to just buy KI or NaI and work from there using your understanding of re ... 29-12-2006 at 01:56 PM
by: Fleaker

experiments with Iodine Tinctures
... make NI3, but I was doing small amounts with excess ammonia outside. I was trying to get elemental iodine from tincture without using distillation equipment I don't have. Then I also wanted to see if I could ... 16-6-2004 at 12:01 AM
by: sanity gone

Iodine Extraction from a Aqueous Solution
... t sure I understand the purpose of adding alkali. Is that the hypoiodite reacts faster? When I make iodine from tincture, I reduce it first (so as to remove excess water and alcohol). I used metals (both zinc dust and a ... 6-3-2004 at 02:04 PM
by: Geomancer

Betadine/povidone-iodine
I believe what he meant, Acid Test, is that talk of drugs had no relevancy here. If you have somethi ... 8-1-2004 at 01:53 PM
by: DDTea

elements collection
... arting such a collection, too. I'm hopefully going to be successful in isolating elemental iodine from tinctures, but probably less than a gram considering my current supply. I already have a slightly damaged ... 11-7-2003 at 11:31 PM
by: blip

Preparing solid iodine.
Just a week ago I had successfully extracted I2 out of tincture.Its 30ml of soloution. 2% I2 2.4% Na ... 17-2-2003 at 11:07 PM
by: trinitrotoluene

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Slimz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 22-9-2007 at 09:24

I use this method

Mix the iodine tincure (2-6 1oz bottles) with 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide in a 20oz plastic bottle

add a small ammount of Hydracloric acid

put it in the freezer for a while

about 30 min later, filter the solution thru some filter paper/coffe filter and you will have iodine crystals...

[Edited on 22-9-2007 by Slimz]
pantone159
International Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 22-9-2007 at 10:11

It is often easier to get good search results on this site by using Google as your search engine, instead of the search button on this forum.

E.g. Google "iodine tincture site:sciencemadness.org" returned plenty of hits.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-9-2007 at 10:29

Sauron, do you really have to be so harsh against newcomers, who just start experimenting? I agree with you that making NI3 is not the best thing to start with, but that can be told in another way. New members, also starters, ARE welcome, as long as they are not obvious drug cooks or the k3wl-b0Mz-kaB00M types of person.

Best way to make iodine is from potassium iodide, 3% hydrogen peroxide and dilute hydrochloric acid. All of these can be obtained easily. It is up to Adun-Swim to search the forums and/or the internet in general to find a way to get iodine from these three chemicals.

@Adum-Swim: Choice of your nickname is not the best one. Swim is a type of acronym, which is invariably associated with drug cooks and chav-like guys. Do a little research on this topic of iodine-making and you will learn of lot of it. If you come up with suggestions of useful procedures, then I'm sure there will be people over here, who want to help you.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-9-2007 at 20:16

@Woelen, if you want to play good cop to my bad cop that's OK with me.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 22-9-2007 at 23:43

Moving on...

Methamphetamine and NI3 aren't the only things that elemental iodine can be used for. And it's not like you can go buy pure I2 at your local drug store.

Phosphorus triiodide for alcohols to akyl iodides.
Iodoform just because it's interesting.

Just to name a couple.

**Response to Sauron**
I haven't been to Rhodium in a while. This forum is much better. And here goes---> akyl ... damnit!!

[Edited on 9-23-2007 by Polverone]

[Edited on 26-11-2007 by MagicJigPipe]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2007 at 00:24

Why don't you try again to spell alkyl, fellow? Expand your knowledge of chemistry that far.

I'll give you one for free. If you want to make alkyl iodides you use TCT and KI.

Several people have pointed out that obtaining I2 for KI or NaI is easy. A lot easier than from tincture. If you'd get your nose out of Rhodium and into a chemistry book you might learn that.

[Edited on 9-23-2007 by Polverone]
DeAdFX
National Hazard

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 23-9-2007 at 00:51

I am pretty certain Sauron is just pissed off that at the talentless shit heads that spam this forum with mindless drug shit. I think even the ones who ask the "good" questions should get a swift boot in the ass but whatever. On the flipside I kind of find it saddening that a person who might be wanting to "legitimately" experiment with the chemical gets flamed.

Now... There are other OTC iodine sources too... At the local fred meyers there is this foot disinfectant that contains an iodide salt and iodoform. I do not know how much % iodine is there but I am pretty certain there would be at least twice as much iodine in them compared to the tinticure stuff.

[Edited on 23-9-2007 by DeAdFX]
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2007 at 02:16

There once was an 8% tincture offered in some areas, that would be a better starting point as well.

Remember that 2% tincture of iodine also contains sodium or potassium iodide, the amount of iodine as iodide is roughly as much as is present as free iodine, so 2% tincture is about 4% iodine - free and combined - by weight. You might do better to treat the tincture with thiosufate to convert iodine to iodate, then evaporate the solution (without overheating). Finally treat the salts with MnO2 and H2SO4 to release the iodine. This could double you iodine yield. Sorry, I don't remember the amount of iodide in the stronger tincture.

Slimz method oxidise the iodide to iodine, another way to get it. But iodine has some solubility in water, so there is some loss in the filtrate.

I'm not sure that disinfectant would have more iodine that tincture does, many of the organic iodine disinfectants do not. On top of that the combined iodine in the iodoform is going to take extra treatment to get into the free element or inorganic iodide.
pantone159
International Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 23-9-2007 at 08:48

Quote:
Originally posted by not_important
You might do better to treat the tincture with thiosufate to convert iodine to iodate

I think you meant 'convert iodine to *iodide*'. If I wanted to get I2 from tincture, I think I would indeed reduce it to iodide, which would then let me evap off the alcohol. Then dissolve the residue in water, add appropriate oxidizing agent (e.g. 3% H2O2 + HCl as woelen suggested) oxidizing it all to iodine, which will precipitate from water (much better than if alcohol is present.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Iodoform is interesting but it is NOT made from I2, it is made from KI. READ A CHEMISTRY BOOK.

I just checked two experimental organic chem textbooks for the iodoform test, and both did use I2. (As well as KI. The test reagent was specified as about 1:2 by mass of I2:KI). When I made CHI3 myself, I used I2.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Actually I can and do buy I2 by the Kg, pure reagent grade. Why? Because I'm a chemist and not a tweaker or a meth cook.

As has been pointed out here many times before, those of us (including me) who are hobbyists but not officially real chemists can NOT get reagents from such suppliers. I'll probably never be able to buy I2 again. And I'm not a tweaker or a meth cook.
Bragging that you don't face the same restrictions as most of the people on this site doesn't solve any problems.
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 23-9-2007 at 09:13

Apologies for the lateness of this moderation, the others must be sleeping. I'll be more vigilant for a few days JIC

[Edid - Post count not found]

[Edited on 24-9-2007 by Ramiel]

Caveat Orator

Go To Top