Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I'm Back, and.... READY?
flickedbic
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-9-2003 at 19:00
I'm Back, and.... READY?

I first visited this site when I was 15...and really liked it. But I was too young to try anything on here (I thought) and was not supported by my parents ("If any chemicals are shipped to this house, they are going in the garbage!). I was reduced to dabbling with fireworks (dissecting, dissemboweling, mixing, and repackaging) and other "KewL" stuff...
But I am finally in Chemistry! I have my first chemistry book, which I hope will aid in the deciphering of various chemical equations and discriptions, in other words, I will be able to know what the hell you are saying!
Not only this, but my science teacher is enthusiastic about his subject and has agreed to let me come in after school and do some expiriments under his supervision, using the school equipment and chemicals :o !!!
I was wondering what kind of experiments I could start out with... nothing that goes bang too loud!
Any ideas?
thanks in advance, -flickedbic

\"All I know is that I know nothing\"-Socrates

\"Good Times\"-Adam Carolla
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 04:51

Oscillating reactions are neat and they show you some of the most vital parts in chemistry: catalysis, oxidation, etc...

Synthesizing bakelite is easy and you'll have your own plastic.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
flickedbic
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 15:10

oscillating reactions are ones that heat up and cool down over and over, correct? (sorry, it's not in the textbook I got) Can you give me an example of an oscillating reaction?
And bakelite is made from combining phenol and formaldehyde? Do you melt a 50%-50% mixture,
how and when do you shape it?

PS: I hope you guys wont mind me asking a bunch of seemingly rediculous questions, but we all gotta start somewhere, right?:)

JustMe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 15:42

Oscillating reactions are interesting because they are cyclic and produce a series of "waves" (spiral or otherwise) which can appear as changing color. (Oversimplified)

See:

http://www.faidherbe.org/site/cours/dupuis/oscil.htm

Ah, but what specifically interests you now that you have access to real reagents and equipment? I'm not into (nor ever was) things that go boom, per se... but many years ago when I had such access I was fascinated by compounds of unusual oxidation states. Like the interhalogens, unusual coordination complexes and so on. But, then again, I was into hardcore chemistry. I'm only a new voice here, and my interests seem to be outside the general consensus. But I thought to add my 2ยข.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 03:43

There's not really a general consensus of what you should be making as a member.

There are only 2 important things:

- Have fun
- Be safe

Please don't feel restrained in posting your expirements or questions.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
AngelEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: Better than it used to be.

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 03:54

Just remember to do a search first in case the answer to your question has already been posted elsewhere.
flickedbic
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 21:13

thanks for posting that site, JustMe, it helped alot. I will definitely try out an oscillating reaction, it sounds interesting.

I just read mad scientist's post on synthesizing methyl ethyl ketone peroxide... would that be a little to ambitious, even under the supervision of someone with 20 years of chem. under their belt? Well, I doubt I have to worry about that, no teacher I know would endanger their job by helping a student synthesize an HE...:( lol.

I also read something about a "floating bottle" in a post. Can this actually be done? (the "floating bottle" was actually a cover story to some cops who came sniffing around after a detination...but it sounds like a good starter expiriment!)

flickedbic
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 21:20

"I remember I once set off a silly pressure-bottle in my backyard, and the neighbor heard and called the Police on me (The bastard). I explained to him that I was trying to make a floating bottle using Hydrogen Gas, but the bottle exploded." - Samosa

Any ideas on how to get this to work, or is it completely quacky?

eidolonicaurum
Hazard to Self

Mood: Hydric

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 04:54

If you find something that looks interesting, go for it! Dabble in organic, inorganic, etc. See what you like. You could try and put together an element collection. That results in loads of experiments, and will keep you busy for a while! You might get to some really interesting but quite obsure chemistry like that. But generally, if you find any interesting experiment, go for it!!!

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 05:22

You may want to look at the date this person last posted...2003... I have a feeling they're long gone :O

Go To Top