Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Grad School
dapper
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 12:17
Grad School

Hey there everyone - I'm starting the process of looking for and applying to grad schools. I'd really appreciate any suggestions or words on the subject that anyone has. I'm still undecided as to exactly what field of chemistry I'll choose - and I'm having a hard time deciding because I just feel a little drained from school...and it all seems like it would be interesting.

Thanks
Dapp
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 14:05

And what country do you live in?
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 18:50

0. Download the application forms and write a bunch of checks (application fees, usually ~ $25--they will NOT process your paperwork without this.

0. Fill it all out. Work experience in your field is a plus (this usually means working as a tech in an environmental lab for little pay). Stick this out, you will learn much more than your peers and "talk the talk" when it comes time to speak with the Dean of the Graduate School recruiting committee. DO NOT LIE ON YOUR RESUME'. They can usually spot this very quickly.

1. Get accepted into the school you want.
1a. Take the ACS subject tests. This will determine what sort of classes you will need to take. Getting an MS first can usually (but, not always bypass this).

2. Get accepted into the Chemistry Dept. (If you get to know someone in here, it can help with #1, above.)
2a. Work for the University and prepare a grant that actually gets funded. This way, the prof. of choice will not have to pay you. This is a plus from their point of view (and...you will still have to teach, but you will have some choice in *what* you teach).

3. Talk to other graduate students to determine which groups you like. Usually, the Prof. from #2 above is a good choice.
3a. Go to many seminars and interview professors. Find the ones that will agree to potentially be your advisor. Then, hope, after they meet that you get the one want.

4. Assemble a group of professors which will all agree to participate on your committee. Pass all of your qualifying exams (not fun, not fun at all). Prepare and pass your general exam (this is where I am).

5. Prepare your dissertation and defend it, the scheduling of this exam is the same as that requried to set up #4, above.

This is pretty much, minus the politics, how it works.

If you already feel drained, you might be in trouble.

Best of luck to you,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 19:30

First you should probably figure out which grad schools you even have a chance of attending. When I was searching for a grad school I was not able to attend a few of them based on my grades, and some of the ones that I could attend only offered masters degree programs based on my grades (And my grades were not bad!). Literature about most graduate degree programs is free and if you are currently enrolled on college there should be plenty of fliers on bulletin boards. Otherwise the internet is a great resource.

Some professors are already working on projects, actually, most of the professors whom I looked into for graduate degree studies already had information accompanying them that said pretty much what you would be getting into if they became the person in charge of your studies. Very specific aspects of chemistry. Ask about stipends, most grad schools offer decent stipends, providing you are not a reckless spender you shouldn't need to work your way through grad school if you qualify.

Take your GRE when you feel you are at your peak mental abilities, the scores are good for a few years. I have been told by several people in the know that although a chemistry section is available for testing, most grad schools do not take this information into account for the bulk of your application though it can help if you are on the borderline of being accepted to their program.

As for the program itself, Ozone gave a decent overview of it but it will vary greatly by region and school. Are you going for a Masters or Doctorate? Masters is somewhat easier and you can usually have the option of continuing on and getting a Doctorate should you succeed with your studies, it's just a point you should be familiar with when you apply to these places.

Just keep at it, it's easy to get distracted right out of college.

[Edited on 10/9/2007 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
dapper
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 05:01

Thanks everyone for the great information... It reinforces that I'm probably on the right track. I'm in the US. I've got a 3.71/3.89 (in major) and a bunch of accolades so I hope I can get into somewhere decent. I'm from a relatively small school with a decent reputation and I've got good recommendations from my professors. I was looking at the west coast UC schools and similar...because I think I'd like to get away from the east coast for a little while.

I've been cruising a lot of literature trying to find schools with people and work and locations that I am interested in. (I'm also trying to check and make sure that people are actually doing work and publishing as well.. I'd prefer it not be a six year degree) as well as trying to determine what subject area I'm interested in. I'm excited for the experience.. I've been able to work on some student-faculty research projects, so I have a decent idea of what research is like and I can say that that is why I'm excited to pursue an advanced degree.

I know that I can survive a year or two of coursework (though organic cumes dont seem like a lot of fun ;) ), and after that I'll spend most of my time doing research, teaching, etc.... that should be fine. I hear almost continually that I should pursue grad school right after college because it is easy to become distracted - I am sure this is absolutely true. Thanks for the reminder about the GRE's. I've been thinking about them and its really about time I gave them a shot. I'll start doing some sudoku for mental calisthenics :)

And for being drained - It's not the real schoolwork that bothers me (my chem classes are probably what I enjoy the most), I'm sure that the fact that grad school is more subject area focused will help me.

Oh and Ozone... you sure are right about those checks! I'm going to have to take out a student loan for the application fees.

Well hopefully that little bit of information will help with the advice. I also really need to choose.. or at least have a better idea.. as to what sort of program I want. I've really enjoyed Organic, Inorganic, and Analytical... hmm...

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by dapper]

Go To Top