Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Need info on KClO4 propellants
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 17:10

Hard waxes for investment casting can be made by mixing PE with paraffin wax. Adding a little wax to the PE might make it easier to incorporate the oxidiser.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Intergalactic_Captain
Hazard to Others

Mood: frabjous

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 20:11

Wow...didn't think this would prove to be such a popular thread.

Microtek - I like the idea with the PE binder. This was actually one of my earlier ideas, but I was thinking more along the lines of PET/PETE (same thing, but only the patent holder can call it PETE...or PET...interesting story though). Did you try any solvents, or just jump straight into the softened mixing method? How'd it work without the Fe2O3?

Boomer/Twospoons - The epoxy discourse is interesting. I hadn't thought about the heat being an issue, but for the size I'm looking at it definitely would be. As for cost, per engine it might work out but development would be insane...$30/gallon for something decent, with no indication of its properties for this application - Raw cost would be anywhere from $30-100/gallon, not something I want/have the time to mess with right now.

Bert/DeAdFX - The gorilla glue sparked my interest, but I've got a bottle of it at home and use it quite often...If anyone can figure out how to eliminate the bubbles or extract the active ingredient, hats off to you. As a side note, it does make a nice sealing and gasketing material - Don't use it with ethanol, though...softens and dissolves it for some reason.

Dann2 - I like the bakelite idea, but the only way I could do it is through a chem supplier or some other online source...Factor in shipping and it's too much (for now, I do plan on trying it in the future). On a side note, have you done anything with a GSLD anode in a straight-to-perchlorate cell? I notice you seem to promote the idea of chloride->chlorate chlorate->perchlorate in a two stage process, which I can only assume is due to poor quality anodes. If you're interested, I've dug up some docs claiming surprisingly stable lead dioxide anodes on a tantalum substrate...Not quite the same, but I don't think it (the substrate) matters at the 5mm+ thicknesses they're dealing with...A couple of new plating baths, too - I haven't read everything here regarding chlorate cells and anodes yet, but it looks like everyone's doing the nitrate bath method.

Twospoons - Damn...I knew there was something I forgot to look at. Definitely gotta look into investment casting waxes. Do you have any ratios?

Definitely gonna stay away from the asphalt GALCIT style fuels, though. Not looking forward to working with them, and I'm guessing the thermal storage stability is not that great. That, and there's just something about tar...So versatile, but at the same time so crude and sticky.

Still nothing found on the wax fuel yet. It seems that I'm going to need to do a good bit of experimentation over the upcoming break, and I have shifted my priorities a little bit...I've tried building a chlorate cell in the past, but never had good anodes. This time may be different though - The master plan is to run a charcoal fired steam-powered tesla turbine powering a 5-10kW axial flux permanent magnet alternator, rectified and stepped down to 5-10v at a rediculously high amperage split across 10 or so five gallon bucket cells, each equipped with GSLD anodes and SS cathodes, hydrogen vented, running at 50-100 amps a piece...Ambitious, but it'll provide a shitload of cheap perchlorate if I can get it built. Possibly an income source as well, provided AP (better profit margin than KP) isn't some quasi-explosive in the government's eyes (look into the rocket fuel factory explosion...damn impressive blast, however tragic it was).

If you see me running, try to keep up.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 31-10-2007 at 11:49

Do the math and report how many lb. of charcoal per lb. of perchlorate you will need. Then go look for a river to dam, unless you've got an AWFULLY large back yard.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 31-10-2007 at 12:14

An erythritol / sorbitol melt , possibly with some "permanently plastic sulfur" and a bit of charcoal powder , as additives , maybe some MnO2 or a dichromate
added for a catalyst .....could make for an interesting melt cast fuel binder system , for nitrates or perchlorates .

Ketone N is another possible additive to a melt cast .

Here's the plastic sulfur thread
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=7732&a...

[Edited on 31-10-2007 by Rosco Bodine]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top