Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: cyclohexanone
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-10-2007 at 23:18
cyclohexanone

cyclohexanone is one of those very useful but increasingly hard to obtain chems. Good longstanding relationship with suppliers and faxed memos for the DEA file required. The only reason I can think of is once it was used to make PCP a psychtomimetic/psychotogenic anasthetic and animal tranquilizer. Would you give your dog this shit?

So here's a way I think would work. Cyclohexane -> cyclohexene by KMnO4 or K2Cr2O7. Cyclohexene to cyclohexanone by PdCl2/CuCl2 & DMF. Also formic acid and 30% H2O2. I'm trying to adapt one of these to MW. Maybe a clay substrate?
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 28-10-2007 at 23:40

Sorry don't mean to burst your hypothetical bubble, but I'm pretty damn sure you can order it without much fuss from these guys:

http://store.hvchemical.com/browse.cfm/4,506.htm

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Antwain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Supersaturated

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 00:22

Quote:

Cyclohexane -> cyclohexene by KMnO4 or K2Cr2O7.

What???
Maya
Hazard to Others

Mood: molten

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 12:12

Quote:

Cyclohexane -> cyclohexene by KMnO4 or K2Cr2O7.

What???

Same....... Anyways, cyclohexanone is not hard to get at all

I've ordered liters, it has a huge number of industrial uses.

its also used in PVC pipe cement extensively, so if worse comes to worst, distill from there

\"Prefiero ser yo extranjero en otras patrias, a serlo en la mia\"
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 18:15

I think I have some that I can spare you. I know I have a lot of either that or cyclohexanol. I only have a few hundred mL of cyclohexene though so tough luck there :P

What are you planning on doing with it?

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 19:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Fleaker
I think I have some that I can spare you. I know I have a lot of either that or cyclohexanol. I only have a few hundred mL of cyclohexene though so tough luck there :P

What are you planning on doing with it?

He gonna cook some space dope with it, what else? :P

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 14:33

That's funny but untrue "lurker." One time many moons ago I did just that and didn't much care for the results. Earning your name I see. I was going to make a few things that might react with either the fatty acids or the glycerins in biodiesel to make them absorb in the visible or UV range. It's a total crap shoot. Make it, check it on the IR and try to react it in oil and then run the oil up on the UV/vis machine. After six months or so we ought to know if anything is working and what its reacting with and maybe what it is.

I don't think the reaction I suggested would work anyway.. did it again, dammit. I was remebering cyclohexene from the alcohol by way of acid. Forget the cyclohexene. Just oxidize the alcohol. Is there a way to oxidize the alkane? I think peroxide, peracetic acids and catalysts are involved.

[Edited on 30-10-2007 by chemrox]
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 19:12

Quote:
Originally posted by chemrox

So here's a way I think would work. Cyclohexane -> cyclohexene by KMnO4 or K2Cr2O7. Cyclohexene to cyclohexanone by PdCl2/CuCl2 & DMF. Also formic acid and 30% H2O2. I'm trying to adapt one of these to MW. Maybe a clay substrate?

In practice the Wacker process works good only for terminal alkenes (i.e. to obtain methyl ketones).

edit:
How is cyclohexane supposed to give cyclohexene using those oxidants? Did you mean cyclohexanol or what?

There are countless recipes on the net regarding epoxide/pinacol rearrangement method of converting alkenes to ketones. utfg.

must be very boring to make simple aliphatic compounds, buy them if possible.

[Edited on 24-2-2008 by Sandmeyer]

chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 00:51

Yeah- I had mis-remembered and should have looked it up first. "It must be boring.." tell me about it, I'm making propionyl chloride this week as I just ran out of the supply I made last year. Why? either unavailable or too dear. Me-am has wide application and is another waste of time to make. The alternative is having too many regulators asking about ones business. Did I mention that having been away from wet chem for decades I need the practice? I distill hardware solvents to hold costs down and fine tune my ditillation practices at the same time. I'm getting ready to 'graduate' though and start playing around with catlysts for coupling reactions.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
grind
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 07:16

Quote:
Originally posted by chemroxIs there a way to oxidize the alkane?

Very difficult. But you can make this:

C6H12 + SO2Cl2 ---> C6H11Cl + HCl + SO2

Cyclohexylchloride is a good precursor for Cyclohexanol and Cyclohexene.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 13:52

I am procrastinating from dissertation writing (dreaded background chapter). Shame, that.

Seems to me that, IIRC, we used alkaline KMnO4 to make adipic acid from cyclohexanone. I can't find my ancient lab manual so:

http://members.aol.com/profchm/chap22-6.html

Anyhow, I don't think cyclohexanone will react in any way with either fatty acids or glycerol (they just use brute force with the GC to get the quantitation on the fatty acids and HPLC/DRI for the glycerol).

You can get cyclohexanone in small, unsuspicious quantities from HACH as standard material to go with their test kits.

Your chromic acid (Jone's reagent) route should work from cyclohexanol:

http://wwwchem.uwimona.edu.jm:1104/lab_manuals/c10expt21.htm...

Which (cyclohexanol) is also a nice source of cyclohexene via dehydration w/ 85% H3PO4.

http://wwwchem.uwimona.edu.jm:1104/lab_manuals/c10expt8.html

Which, of course, has the snake biting its tail. However, this looks interesting (catalysis):

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=1997%2F08119&IA=W...

I'd elaborate, but I have to push hard and try to spew another page of scientific diarrhea.

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 00:14

Even a legitimate well equipped lab tries to avoid working with reagents like chromic acid, (IMO kind of a last resort reagent). I don't follow the logic of going through the trouble of obtaining, working with and disposing stuff such as chromic acid just to prepare something as cheap, non-toxic and readily available as cyclohexanone.

[Edited on 1-3-2008 by Sandmeyer]

Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 02:45

chromic acid should be prety easy to dispose of by simply reducing it with acidified sodium sulphite.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 03:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Jor
chromic acid should be prety easy to dispose of by simply reducing it with acidified sodium sulphite.

But still consuming expensive Cr(VI), which in some locals may even have a surcharge on it because of its toxicity and disposal problems (there are people who will say "we'll I only have a little bit, I'll just pour it down the drain). And you add the cost of the sulfite on top of that.

I believe that chlorine bleach and Ni(OH)2 or NiCl2, as documented by Sauron and others, will do just fine at oxidising cyclohexanol to cyclohexanone in 70% yield or so, and much less hassle in the workup as the nickel oxides/whatever can just be filtered out. Just plain old NaCl as a waste product, bleach is cheap and still readily accessible.

That WIPO patent is basically creating Fenton's reagent on the fly, Fe(II) and H2O2, and assumable optimising the conditions for best yield of cyclohexanol and cyclohexanone.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 01:34

I have a chance to obtain about 1 liter of cyclohexanone. What can I used this for? What kind of synthesis? Should I get it? I did a search ...but it's not clear on what it can be used for... Except adipic acid?

[Edited on 21-2-2015 by jamit]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 10:56

cyclohexanone > adipic acid > nylon 66

The tricky part is coming up with some adipoyl chloride.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 16:11

Thanks magpie! I'll look into both these products!
Pickardjr
Harmless

Mood: vapor state

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 17:29

I had an order stolen off the truck in route, it just disappeared from tracking. I called the company and they sent a new one, it made it. You can buy it with no issues.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 20:24

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
cyclohexanone > adipic acid > nylon 66

The tricky part is coming up with some adipoyl chloride.

Sorry jamit I think I oversimplified here. You are also going to need some hexamethylenediamine.

We made the nylon 66 in an organic lab at college. It's a simple & fun experiment once you have the 2 precursors.

[Edited on 22-2-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 20:31

He could also make caprolactam and then turn that into nylon.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 01:29

Obligatory: https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/pcp/
(A nicely written document even for those not planning any of the included syntheses)
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 12:02

adipic acid > cyclopentanone

I have done this one.

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 13:22

Old thread, but to something the OP mentioned, while cyclohexanone was probably most cracked down on due to PCP synthesis, there are other narcotics which use derivatives in their scaffold, just as with piperidine, which was obviously also scrutinized.

Magpie, presuming you used something on orgsyn?
http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV1P0192

Too bad reducing strong enough agents to use on carboxylic acids aren't commonly OTC. I could potentially see a Dieckmann condensation, reducing the beta keto acid, aminating to yield 1-aminomethyl-cycloalkanol, and then finally performing a Tiffeneau–Demjanov ring expansion rearrangement to cyclohexanone as a mechanistically interesting synthesis.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 22-2-2015 at 14:43

Here's my post on cyclopentanone. It looks like my attempt wasn't all that successful, but that of garage chemist was.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5564#p...

CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2015 at 01:21

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  

Too bad reducing strong enough agents to use on carboxylic acids aren't commonly OTC.

to what stage do you want to reduce it? if you esterify the COOH and treat that with DIBAL,you could reduce it to the aldehyde.then to get alcohol,you could treat it with dithionite and to get hydrocarbon,you could do clemmenson.I think DIBAL can be made at home,as isobutanol is available
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diisobutylaluminium_hydride#Pro...
Quote:
I could potentially see a Dieckmann condensation, reducing the beta keto acid, aminating to yield 1-aminomethyl-cycloalkanol, and then finally performing a Tiffeneau–Demjanov ring expansion rearrangement to cyclohexanone as a mechanistically interesting synthesis.

I couldn't follow your reaction as you haven't mentioned your starting product,but if you are starting off with an ester of acid lower than adipic acid,there might be a problem:(
Quote: Originally posted by Sandmeyer  
Quote:
Originally posted by chemrox

In practice the Wacker process works good only for terminal alkenes (i.e. to obtain methyl ketones).

see this
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10007#...

[Edited on 23-2-2015 by CuReUS]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top