Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Science inspired travel
barbs09
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-9-2018 at 05:27
Science inspired travel

Hello, I'm off on a holiday tomorrow to spend a few weeks in Italy and I was wondering if anyone new of any gems chemical, alchemical, astrological or otherwise, of interest to a science minded person? spending time in Florence, I intend to acquaint myself with all things Galileo and Da Vinci etc. There is a 400 year old pharmacy in Florence that appears to have a certain amount of charm to it.

Cheers,

AB
Metallus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2018 at 06:54

I'm from Italy and I've been to Florence many times, but the main points of interests are the cathedral and the "uffizi" which have a broad collection of artworks from Raffaello, Botticelli, Giotto, Caravaggio etc.

I didn't notice any relevant "science" points of interest beside the Da Vinci museum which mostly consists of engineering works.

There are some old pharmacies which have been renewed, but I remember I once visited this pharmacy that let you inspect some old cabinets where they stored dried plants (mostly botany stuff). I'm not quite sure it was in Florence though, it was a long time ago.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2018 at 07:03

Can't go wrong in Florence, the smallest and worst museums and churches there have art that is still mostly better than anything in the US, other than a few places. One church we saw had more art in one of the 20 alcoves than in my entire city possesses. The Uffici was awesome, but there are so many places to see, that you can't see but a fraction of the art in a week. David is fine, but not much else at his museum, and good copies of him are in several other places. I would try the palace as well, but also just tour many of the churches there, the Cathedral is great, but there are at least a dozen other beautiful churches there. Good luck.
streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2018 at 17:15

For science inspired travel I have found "The Geek Atlas" to be good. http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596523213.do

It only covers 128 places so is a bit sparse but worth owning. Unfortunately nothing for Florence.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 27-9-2018 at 03:04

even if i live in italy i don't know much about chemistry here, but if you want to do a science inspired travel i highly recommemd you to visit the National Laboratories of the Gran Sasso, a particle physics laboratory 1400m under a mountain, oone of the best in the world. you need to book the visit in advance, the waiting list is quite long i think

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2018 at 03:15

buy a Florence flask from Florence ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_flask
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2018 at 06:20

I am in Florence at this moment. Hopefully my post is not too late. There is a wonderful natural science and medical museum on the Oltro Arno side of the Ponte Vecchio. It is called La Specola and it is a short ways past the Pitti Palace on the left side of the street at via Romana 17. The entrance is very easy to miss. This place is absolutely awesome - to coin a phrase. There is a small entrance fee and takes a couple of hours to get through it all. There was almost no one there on most of my visits.

Finally, do not miss the Galileo museum which is hidden behind the Uffizi. Absolutely great science and technology museum with no crowds. There is even a wonderful "home lab" chemistry cabinet owned by some royal. Again, a small entrance fee but worth every penny. Plan to spend a couple of hours.

I go to Florence every year and try to visit at least one of these each time.

AvB

[Edited on 29-9-2018 by AvBaeyer]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 29-9-2018 at 07:52

Visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa, as I once did when I was a kid.

Unforgettable!

Now, apparently one fix to stop the tower from falling over was to install weights on the tower opposite the leaning side (see https://www.livescience.com/33379-leaning-tower-pisa-fall-ov... ).

So, see if you can see where they placed the weights, which I would guess must be dense and non-corrosive (a white tower), perhaps Pb (which is also cheap).:o

Physics suggests that the weights should be on the higher floors.
----------------------------------------------

I have perhaps a better idea to fix the tower that would be more impervious to sudden increase in leaning from say an earthquake or other event (like a very strong wind). The idea is to have a crane at the top of the tower hanging over the side opposite the leaning side, which is connected to a counterweight on the ground. As the lean of the tower increases the counterweight would automatically be raised. The wire cable itself could be nearly transparent and the crane should be painted the same color as the sky.

Yes, the fix would be less aesthetically pleasing, but with the first major rapid movement of the earth for whatever reason (perhaps a flood), the tower may be less likely to plunge and break up! This idea provides favorably for constant monitoring and rapid adjustments. Further, with rotation of the crane, a change in direction of leaning could also be addressed.

[Edited on 29-9-2018 by AJKOER]
barbs09
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2018 at 21:32

Hi, thanks for all your suggestions. Presently on Amalfi Coast :). Magnifico!!!
barbs09
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2018 at 10:34

AvBaeyer, thanks, have visited both museums in Florence, La Specola and the Galileo Museum, today. Wonderful tribute to the Renaissance and all things magnificent!! Beautiful city.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2018 at 13:35

barbs09,

Glad that you enjoyed the museums. If you are still in Florence an get hungry, here are two of my favorites both near the city center:

L'Osteria Di Giovanni, Via del Moro, 22, 50123, Phone: +39 055 284897

Cantinetta Antinori, Piazza degli Antinori, 3, 50123, Phone: +39 055 292234

Both need a reservation.

Giovanni's is a "down home" Tuscan restaurant, prices are good for Florence and so is the food. It is on a small side street which can be a bit hard to find. It can get crowded but also serves a lot of local folks.

Antinori's (the wine company) is a smaller more elegant place frequented by lots of locals as well as visitors. The food is excellent. There is access to a wide selection of Antinori wines by the glass at very fair prices. Bottles have good prices, too. It is located at the end of Via de' Tornabuoni going towards the Duomo. The only signage is a stand in the doorway.

Antinori's serves lunch (can be very busy) and I believe that Giovanni's might also - only go there for dinner.

Enjoy yourself,

AvB

Go To Top