Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sulfuric acid
bilcksneatff
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sulfuric

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 09:54
sulfuric acid

Lately, I've been attempting to synthesize some sulfuric acid. My latest method was to burn sulfur inside a two-liter soda bottle, and then bubble the vapors through 15% hydrogen peroxide. My data is conflicting. The liquid I have smells of sulfur dioxide gas, but my pH test strip shows a pH of 1-2. Can anyone help me?
bilcksneatff
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 09:55

Also, I accidentaly spilled a drop of the liquid on my finger, and I could feel it burning. (Don't worry, my finger is fine. I washed my hands in hot water for ten minutes.)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 10:00

I don't see any conflicting data. The amount of H2SO4, formed from this burning sulphur only is small, so you'll have a low-concentration acid. Also, having a smell of SO2 is not surprising. Probably some SO2 bubbled through the H2O2. I would expect that the best method for you would be to add the H2O2 to the soda bottle and shake with this. But even then, you'll only get very small amounts of acid in this way, very dilute and at a high price.

H2SO4 is one of the chemicals, which hardly is worth trying to make yourself.

The burning sensation you had most likely was not because of the acid, but because of the 15% H2O2. H2O2 gives white stinging spots on skin, for concentrations above appr. 6%.

Dilute solutions of H2SO4 don't give a burning sensation, unless you allow them to remain in contact with the skin for several minutes. Concentrated H2SO4 is a different matter. This is very corrosive and chars skin. It gives a violent burning sensation and is capable of producing severe wounds in a few tens of seconds.

[Edited on 11-11-07 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
bilcksneatff
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 10:08

Thank you very much woelen. I'll have to try adding the H2O2 into the soda bottle.
bilcksneatff
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 12:47

While I'm on the topic, does anyone know a good way to make SO2 inexpensively. The burning sulfur method I've tried is too expensive (sulfur in Maryland: $4.93/4 ounces). An inexpensive source of sulfuric acid would be even better. Any information is greatly appreciated.
ciscosdad
Hazard to Self

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 13:58

Try garden or Agricultural suppliers. Here in Australia, Sulfur is available in Garden suppliers for $7.50 per 500 gram box. A 25 Kilo Bag is available eat stock merchants (in rural areas) for $16.00. This is good clean pure dusting sulfur. No clay, insecticides or other crap added.

Try Battery Merchants for Dilute Sulfuric Acid ("Battery Acid.") It's about 35%. Getting Concentrated is anybody's guess.
Read the relevant thread.
bilcksneatff
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 14:25

thank you ciscosdad, however I live in America. They should still sell it here, though.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 14:31

First of all, we have a *few* threads with *some* info on sulfuric acid production. Please take your discussion there.

Secondly, don't double post but use the edit button!

Closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top