Printable Version  
Author: Subject: al/hg and foil thickness
demax
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2007 at 19:48
al/hg and foil thickness

Hi all,

I have been reading about al/hg reactions and they seem beautiful things, temperamental tho.

It seems however that there is little consensus as to the thickness and type of aluminium that should be used.

I have read a few synths that claim good results using REYNOLDS WRAP HEAVY DUTY ALUMINIUM FOIL but this is not seemingly available where i live. Anyway does anyone know the thickness of this foil in microns? Cant find it on google anywhere and an emial to Alcoa who manufacture this product has not yielded a response.

The reason i ask this question is because there are other branded foils of various thickness that i could use but i want to use one of equal thickness to the reynolds foil.

Also it seems that some of the thicker foils i can source are gold or red or blue in color so would this affect things negatively?

Once you have your foil how have people prepared it ie. have they just cut it into squares or ground it etc. Seems little consensus on this as well.

Would love to hear from other peeps on types of foil they used.

best wishes,

demax
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 27-11-2007 at 23:38

As I recall, it's around 1 or 1.5 mils.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Joeychemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sedated

[*] posted on 28-11-2007 at 00:29

The trick to using thinner Al foil is balling the foil squares up good and using good cooling.

Go To Top