Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diatomic theory
Magnara
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-9-2003 at 16:34
Diatomic theory

Why do some elements become diatomics and others don't?
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 24-9-2003 at 17:43

do u actually expect an answer?
it's like asking why do things fall to the ground....
anyway, there are bimolecular elements as it's due to their electron configuration, i.e. O2 is O=O, indicating a double bond and indicating that there are two electrons missing to fill up the orbital. For N2, it's the same story again, it forms via a triple bond and happens so due to three electrons missing to fill the orbital.
If anyone thinks this is a high school explanation, sure, yes, it is, I can give u a proper one....but dont flame me for giving a cheap explanation! jsut trying to be helpful t those needy souls out there.
End of message.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 24-9-2003 at 18:04

I always wondered if metal become diatomic too, i was always told that only gases where. Li<sub>2</sub> or Li<sup>+</sup> ?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 24-9-2003 at 19:13

http://dl.clackamas.cc.or.us/ch104-08/elements.htm
That website could help to explain it a bit more. It goes into why metals don't form diatomic atoms. I think that its possible for metals to form diatomic molecules, they'd just have a thermal stability of 0 K. So they can't exist anyway.

The way I remember what forms diatomic (or polyatomic ie Sulfur and Phosphorus) is it's its all non metals except Carbon. I guess the Nobel gases are an exception too, but to me they're in their own group. There was also something about Genine(Jeanine) or something like that. It had to do with the endings. ie hydro<u>gen</u>, Oxy<u>gen</u>, Chlor<u>ine</u>. I don't believe this includes Astatine though. That probably why I don't remember it. You could always go with memorization.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2003 at 05:25

i think that to be diatomic it must be a gas at normal tempoerature but not a noble one, so all gases inm the Periodic table are diatomic exepted for the last column

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 25-9-2003 at 10:43

It's really quite simple. Atoms are not happy unless they have enough valence electrons (that is, atoms in the outermost ring of the electron cloud- usually 8).

Now, look at Oxygen, Nitrogen, and Chlorine. In all of these, they are very close to having a full outer ring of electrons- they require 2, 3, and 1 electrons, respectively. So, it would be a lot easier for them to form covalent bonds in order to gain electrons (actually in covalent bonding, electrons are shared- but you understand what I mean). Also, since they require so few electrons to fill their outer shell, they are very reactive...as such, they will bond with whatever is nearby.

So, Cl forms a single-bond with a second Cl atom, since each only need one atom to fill their electron shells (hence the sharing). O forms a double bond with another O, and N forms a triple bond with another N (this triple bond is very strong and is why Nitrogen is so unreactive).

In the case of the Alkali metals, it wouldn't makes sense for them to form diatomic compounds. In their outer shell, they only have 1 electron. As such, it is a lot easier for them to get rid of that electron, thus going down to a lower electron ring which is full, than it is for it to gain 7 more electrons. These, too, are very reactive elements for this reason.

And, carrying this logic further, that is why Alkalis bond so nicely with Halogens! Since Alkalis want to get rid of their 1 electron, and Halogens want 1 more electron....they are friends!
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2003 at 11:40

yeah but pure metal Lithium is what Li or Li<sup>-</sup> (sorry i just saw my error on the other post)

I think that Philou told me that they formed Li<sub>2</sub> which mystified me

[Edited on 25-9-2003 by Blind Angel]

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
kingspaz
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2003 at 14:09

its just Li.
simple as that. metals bond because their outer electrons aren't very strongly held. the outer electrons in a piece of metal are free to move through the whole metal so in effect bond to every nucleus which they are near too. this is qhy metals are often strong. its also why they conduct. the outer electrons are free to move from atom to atom. you need to do some reading to find out the basic principle sof bonding before we can help with your question really.

the unexamined life is not worth living to a human
Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 29-9-2003 at 16:51

Na2, Li2 both exist and O2 isnt really a double bond, and not really a single...

\"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it. I will seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.\" Duane Allman
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 29-9-2003 at 19:33

yes, the (non)existence of alkali diatomic compounds have been discussed before. see
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=329
Although it's not entirely conclusive, its of some use. have fun :)
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2003 at 07:16

That was exactly the topic I was looking for, thx chemoleo

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
Boandlkramer
Harmless

Mood: Where-is-my-axe

[*] posted on 30-9-2003 at 08:05

I don't kow about the other stuff, but what i can tell is that H2 can be compressed and cooled (~10K) to form a kind of metal which is, by the way superconducting.
maybe if you vaporised Li or so in a low pressure or vacuum environment...

But whats the use of all that anyway?

Go To Top