Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Making Antimony Trichloride
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 14-12-2007 at 08:08

Don't convert all of your initial lower valency material
to the higher valency material . Save out half or at least part of the stuff that you have made first as the lower oxidation state . You will find it useful later for a Pytlewski inspired experiment at wettest stickiest syrup making :D
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2007 at 12:53

Hello,

Perhaps the Antimony Oxide (ceramic grade) contains Iron.

If it workes for Doped Tin Oxide I do not mind but it would be nice to have no unknowns in the stuff.

Regarding its valency, I don't really mind what the valency is. Similar procedure worked for Antimony Metal + HCl for the DTO so hopefully this will too.
Metal + HCl resulted in yellow liqued too. The HCl is hardware store (yellow) stuff that has been distilled giving clear HCl.

Dann2
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 14-12-2007 at 13:33

This is more concerning tin , but since it is relevant
concerning the destined use , here goes .

The baking of the Sn oxide in air leads to mostly +IV valency material ultimately , but some residual +II material may actually provide doping of a sort all by itself . So it very well may be counterproductive to drive the reaction all the way to the +IV valency material since the electrical conductivity of the resulting *pure* SnO2 is poor . It may be better to have an incompletely oxidized precusor mixture . One sure way of getting that is to mix the lower with the higher , in which case a mixed valency polymer results . On baking then a
mixed oxide is likely to result , having a better conductivity
already by virtue of its own composition .

As for dopant materials , there are many besides the Sb ,
and fluorine is perhaps the very best . It can be added
as ammonium fluoride or as dilute HF or as
stannous fluoride . This would likely be good for any contemplated scheme where you might be trying to have
a catalytically doped SnO2 coating as a possible working anode for perchlorate , as F is a known catalyst for perchlorate (with PbO2) . Whether the Sb is also , I'm not sure , and some of these catalysts act as such only in combination with something else specific . So alone
or in other combinations it may be a different story .

[Edited on 14-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2007 at 12:40

Hello,

As suggested elsewhere to me my Electic I addes some SnCl4 + water (+HCl) and some Sb chips (and heated) to see if Sb dissolves.
It did not dissolve when cold (9 days).
Heated and the Sb dissolved in about 8 hours but there is some black stuff contained in the solution.
Anyone know what it may be.

Sb came from an ebay element collector on ebay and is 'pure'.

Dann2
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top