Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DHS at My Door
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

smile.gif posted on 5-12-2007 at 09:22
DHS at My Door

Less than 15 minutes ago an agent with the Department of Homeland Security showed up at my door and asked me, what seemed to be, a standard list of questions about my former neighbor that moved out last year. He asked bizzare questions like "do you have reason to believe that Mr. Blank was in any groups planning to overthrow the United States government?". He even asked if I thought he had a meth lab. What does that have to do with homeland security?

Jesus Christ! Call me paranoid but if this has anything to do with me simply asking for thionyl chloride online then I've lost all faith (what little was left) in my government.

Damn! My plan of making nerve gas and overthrowing the government is foiled once again! Blast! :P

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 10:32

Quote:

"do you have reason to believe that Mr. Blank was in any groups planning to overthrow the United States government?".

Somehow that just seems like a really dumb question. Does DHS really take such groups that seriously? Or do they just need something to do to justify their salary that is laid on the backs of us taxpayers?

Do you know anything about your former neighbor that would justify such questions? Or, as you say, perhaps it was just a ruse to check you out abit (hope not). After all asking about reactive chemicals is highly suspicious, right? :mad:

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 11:09

Is is possible that your ex-neighbor is getting a background clearance, e.g. he applied for some job that needs a security clearance? Then they might ask such questions, having no idea that you are up to chlorinating things for no good. :)
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 12:26

That's very possible because one of the questions was something like, "Would you recommend him for an important government position". And, no, I didn't know him at all. Him and his family seemed very reserved. Only really going outside to go to the car from what I can remember. The only information I was able to give them was that they seemed like "reserved" people.

Oh yeah, and he asked if I thought he was a "good American"! Ha! What a 1984ish question.

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 12:32

I believe Pantone159 is probably right.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 12:39

Personally I'd be concerned that you just got hit with sort of "knock and talk" investigation... if I got such a visit, my lab shit would be boxed up and moved ASAP, or at least any "sensitive" reagents and relocated off property.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 13:57

Quote:

Is is possible that your ex-neighbor is getting a background clearance, e.g. he applied for some job that needs a security clearance?

I would think that if the DHS agent was doing a background check for a government security clearance he would tell you that up front. And there would be questions about the persons "morals," i.e., unusual drinking habits, unusual sex preferences, gambling, etc. I've been interviewed in the past for colleagues who were seeking such clearances. They were very congenial and non-threatening type interviews.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 14:05
I need an exit strategy

I was born here, love the country most of my life, but I want out! I need an exit strategy. Even if I sell everything I own, there is something better than this place:o:o

If some DHS idiot asked me if someone was a "good American" I think I would say only if he listens to Shawn Hannity! :P:D roll eyes

Always keep your lab supplies locked up and only handle foul odor reagents between 11pm and 5:30 am.

Fellow molecular manipulator
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 14:06

Yeah , let's go knock on that dumbasses door and spin him a yarn about doing a security check on his neighbor
as a ruse to spend a few minutes checking this guy out ,
get a good look at his eyes , do a line of sight search ,
and sniff things out ......you know the drill :D

Probably best to not even answer the door . Or say its a bad time for a visit , you are busy , come back later .
Big dogs can be a real deterrent for snoopy cops who don't have a good reason as in probable cause to be there . Dogs are a good judge of character and they have good instincts about threats , they read it in the body language and respond without any ambiguity . If your dogs don't want particular visitors there , generally trust their judgement :D
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 14:50

Ponderance:

I was raking leaves the other day. Some officers found a curiosity across the street. After checking it out, one came over to me and asked some questions.

Am I a suspect?

Actually, I should make this a poll. I think I shall. Don't answer me here, answer in the thread:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9592

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 15:31

DHS does not do background investigations for security clearances. There is an entirely seperate agency within DOD that does that, and only that, and as far as I know they are not considered law enforcement officers, have no police powers and do not carry firearms.

More precisely, DHS might do background checks for clearances for its own employees, but not for defense contractors, military personnel, etc.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 19:16

The government does not politely sniff around anymore. If they had any suspicions about you they would have shown up with warrant. They are unfortunately not hard to get. Happens out here all the time in the name of drug war.

[Edited on 6-12-2007 by ordenblitz]

Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 19:56

If they really thought you had a "clandestine lab" of any variety (drugs, explosives, terrorist) they would not ont only have a warrant but a CLEAT team Your doors would be knocked down, not on, and then the search would proceed.

CLEAT = Clandestine Laboratory Emergency Action Team.

Other acronyms may be in use but that is the only one I have heard.

Even back in the 80s, when I was still in the special operations weapons business, the drug warriors were starting to put out requests for sound suppressed weapons specifically designed so that they could be discharged in an ether-saturated environment (clandestine lab usually drug lab) without setting off the ether.

I guess they were occasionally losing agents to ether explosions and fires touched off by the raid.

I mean, such fires and explosions often happen anyway and are all too often the way law enforcement locates a drug lab after the fact. "Survivors may be prosected"

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top